13 Months Later...Another Unreal Katrina Home Video Surfaces

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

13 Months Later...Another Unreal Katrina Home Video Surfaces

#1 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:50 pm

Here's one worth viewing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkksAVBezc
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby HollynLA » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:16 am

Amazing, truly........... just something no one ever thinks will happen in their lifetime. Thanks for sharing. I hope many learn a lesson just from that video alone about staying to ride it out.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#3 Postby Jim Cantore » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:59 am

Unbelieveable.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Frank P » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:25 pm

I bet the people doing the video won't ride out the next major storm.... sad part about it is that now only did that have to personally face the wrath of Katrina first hand, they also lost everything they owned...
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Frank P wrote:I bet the people doing the video won't ride out the next major storm.... sad part about it is that now only did that have to personally face the wrath of Katrina first hand, they also lost everything they owned...

Truth be told, there is a good side to tell...the neighborhood is coming back, some are living, again, in the very homes you see in the video, stores are reopening in the same area, as well as fast food restaurants. I drove down there two weeks ago, and it is amazing how different communities have such stamina and return in light of what appears as a situation that they would never recovery.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Really scary and sad! St. Bernard Parish really got it bad from Hurricane Katrina. The beginning of the video, looks like they could of escaped serious damage. It was the flood that got them. Sad. :cry: Here's another video similar to this. Looks like they are going to

Link[/url]
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Frank P » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:
Frank P wrote:I bet the people doing the video won't ride out the next major storm.... sad part about it is that now only did that have to personally face the wrath of Katrina first hand, they also lost everything they owned...

Truth be told, there is a good side to tell...the neighborhood is coming back, some are living, again, in the very homes you see in the video, stores are reopening in the same area, as well as fast food restaurants. I drove down there two weeks ago, and it is amazing how different communities have such stamina and return in light of what appears as a situation that they would never recovery.

that's good to hear Sean.... it was an amazing video too... today I saw the most traffic on Hwy 90 since Katrina... Cruising the Coast is in full gear on the MS coast and classic cars and hot rods are everywhere... you can hear em quite well in this FEMA trailer which is only about 25 feet from the highway... still its nice to see all the people cruising the coast this weekend...
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:Truth be told, there is a good side to tell...the neighborhood is coming back, some are living, again, in the very homes you see in the video, stores are reopening in the same area, as well as fast food restaurants. I drove down there two weeks ago, and it is amazing how different communities have such stamina and return in light of what appears as a situation that they would never recovery.

St. Bernard is truly recovering from this horrible disaster. It's like the Phoenix bird. St. Bernard was flooded completely, yet they manage to rebuild. There is always hope.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby HollynLA » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 am

4 of my aunts who lived in Chalmette are rebuilding. They are all in their 60's and widows, so this really takes strength. Several cousins are also rebuilding, except for those that had homes hit by the oil spill. St Bernard will rebuild, in time of course.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:57 am

HollynLA wrote:4 of my aunts who lived in Chalmette are rebuilding. They are all in their 60's and widows, so this really takes strength. Several cousins are also rebuilding, except for those that had homes hit by the oil spill. St Bernard will rebuild, in time of course.

Is the oil spill there? That could be a problem for rebuilding that area. Hopefully, something should be done about disappearing wetlands in that area. If it wasn't for MRGO, the flood probably would not of happened. MRGO is rarely used and cost a lot to maintain it. I read when Hurricane Betsy hit, St, Bernard Parish was flooded, but not as bad as what Hurricane Katrina did. Betsy went west of the area, which is even worse.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#11 Postby Dionne » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:54 am

Very upsetting to view. This guy said it right. "Never again, I will run." I'm surprised this video didn't go national earlier than now. I thought we had it rough the first night. One thing is for sure, nobody got any sleep that night.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby MGC » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:55 pm

Yes, the oil is still there. My brother owns a house that was flooded with the oil. I went in it a few months ago and the oil has soaked into everything and dried up. No way any of the homes that were effected by the oil can be safely re-inhabited. Betsy did flood St Bernard Parish bad. Had Katrina been on a course similar to Betsy then St Bernard would be totally gone......MGC
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby LAwxrgal » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:15 pm

Unreal video. I couldn't watch any more after I saw the dog struggling to get on what was left of a table.
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

Jim Cantore

#14 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:36 pm

I threw this up in Photoshop

0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:08 pm

Category 5 wrote:I threw this up in Photoshop

Nice tribute.
0 likes