Personal Loss Itemization

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

Personal Loss Itemization

#1 Postby Jagno » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:02 pm

I'm having so much difficulty getting my personal possessions itemized. It seems that unbeknown to me I had quite a few items that can now only be customed crafted by a wood artisan or considered antique like the 14 peice crystal punch bowl set. I'm so sick of pricing items. I have to list every single item, have a picture of it, date purchased, price paid, description, damage description, replacement cost and lets not forget the make and model/serial numbers. Even the metal plates on power tools rusted so badly you can't read the model/serial numbers. Anyone else going through this? Is there a better way to organize all this?
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I dont know how to help you now...however, this can be used for people in hurricane zones...my family at the beginning of each hurricane season typically go through our list of items, and take video of all the items, then the tape and lists are put away in a water/fire proof safe...as to currently help you...I dont know...maybe trying something similar to a grave rubbing? only thing I can think of...
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I have everything on a CD now. All my important documents and everything. Now all I have to do is grab it and leave.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:37 am

Lindaloo wrote:I have everything on a CD now. All my important documents and everything. Now all I have to do is grab it and leave.

Smart...I know alot of people that have done this, and it is wise to think twice about getting a safety deposit box if you don't already have one.
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#5 Postby Jagno » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm

I had all of my warranties and owners manuals. What I didn't have was the serial numbers and model numbers written down in the booklets. We are still rebuilding but I assure you that hindsight is indeed 20/20 and every single new purchase has the book, receipt, pictures, model and serial numbers all written in them. But for now that's not doing me much good for the pre-Rita items. Besides, how many of you REALLY kept the receipts and pictures of your underclothes, shoes, groceries and such. I would have never considered it.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 pm

I know I haven't saved any of that. Katrina and Rita changed our way of thinking didn't they?

I keep a journal of all my new purchases now. Sad isn't it?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”