Read it and weep, fellow New Orleanians...

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Read it and weep, fellow New Orleanians...

#1 Postby TSmith274 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, the truth finally came out today on our levees. Things that I have suspected are confirmed in a National Geographic report released today. Don't think the U.S. Army corps of Engineers is incompetent? Food for thought from the article... "Even more troubling, water appears to be seeping under the stout new floodwall erected along the Industrial Canal to protect the Lower Ninth Ward." This is the brand spanking new floodwall, built in response to lessons learned from the breaches that occurred during Katrina... it was supposed to be better, and fail-proof. Think about it.

Here's the article... http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... evees.html
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#2 Postby Dionne » Tue May 08, 2007 7:17 am

MRGO was and is a huge disaster. All it will take is one more event. I have a very uneasy feeling about NOLA. God help us if another monster storm finds its way into the northern GOM.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MGC » Tue May 08, 2007 5:00 pm

MRGO is nothing more that a super highway for surge to reach the city. The MRGO will go down in history as one of the greatest engineering blunders of all time......MGC
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby TSmith274 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:13 am

Dionne wrote:MRGO was and is a huge disaster. All it will take is one more event. I have a very uneasy feeling about NOLA. God help us if another monster storm finds its way into the northern GOM.

Great point! Check out these videos... the first one explains the hazards of the MRGO, and the rest explain our levee situation. They are worth watching. Only about 2 minutes each. You'll have a good idea of the problem...

1st video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzaU2fMgN3g

2nd video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqGkWNw6zxI

3rd video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agthVJalL0k

4th video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PA6WvxgVM

The wetlands... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGD5fh4iv4
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby LAwxrgal » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm

This is what frightens me about the whole situation.
What happened in Katrina could happen again if another bestial storm gets into the Gulf, with potential for more loss of life. I fear residents and officials will again be complacent...
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby TSmith274 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:31 pm

LAwxrgal wrote:This is what frightens me about the whole situation.
What happened in Katrina could happen again if another bestial storm gets into the Gulf, with potential for more loss of life. I fear residents and officials will again be complacent...

I agree. Especially since the only truth being uttered these days is coming from independent experts. This wall that is leaking is the same one that Mayor Nagin on 60 Minutes knocked on with his fist, saying "Look at this thing man... it's not going anywhere". The Corp and local politicians just need to be honest with the citizens. If we get another storm, and the city floods again, the entire country will be asking why. The answers are staring us in the face, but too many people have their heads in the sand. But the Mayor and others are stuck in a bad spot. They cannot be totally honest about the levees... it would halt the recovery. They have a city to rebuild, and they must have people come back home to accomplish that. So, they are putting a positive spin on things. The Corps on the other hand... I have no idea why they are hiding the truth.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Wed May 16, 2007 11:47 pm

They did a special on the news the other day....it turns out the "salt" water is from a burst pipe underneath the streets according to the Sewerage & Water Board. It isn't true. There are NO leaks. They interviewed Professor Bea by phone and he said..."it did taste like salt water, but, I never said it was definitely coming from the Industrial Canal." They cornered him and he had no where to go. The reason it tasted of salt is because there is leftover salt in the ground in the Lower Ninth Ward from being under salt water for over month in the weeks following Katrina.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby MGC » Thu May 17, 2007 12:29 am

I would think you would have to be crazy to taste that water.....MGC
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby TSmith274 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:46 am

Well I'm happy to hear that. National Geographic just fell a few notches in the trustworthy category in my book. Can't believe they would publish that without more evidence.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”