Arbitration and Now case kicked back to local court!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Arbitration and Now case kicked back to local court!

#1 Postby MSRobi911 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Nationwide has sent us a letter offering Arbitration.....duh how can you arbitrate DENIED??? Oh, we'll give you three times as much as we offered before...duh....3 X 0 STILL equals ZERO!!!!!!

That just chaps my behind...they actually called my attorney and wanted us to provide him with a "Footprint" of our house before the storm and what was in the attitc and what the roof was made of....like they don't have that information anymore from the first adjuster? Maybe because he spent all of about twenty minutes at our home and said, oh, a slab claim...well you will get a couple of letters from us in a couple of weeks....that is all he said and all he did. He didn't measure (#(#()$*#()*$#)($*(#) thing! Does that tell you their mind set on October 31st, which was they day he finally showed up...since I reported the claim the night of the storm with my cell phone from the 4th floor of the courthouse with no power and a very weak signal............that was August 29th, it took them 2 months to get an adjuster there??

Oh don't get me started....

Just thought I would let ya'll know that Nationwide IS actually opening their "slab claims" as they said they would.

Mary
Last edited by MSRobi911 on Thu May 31, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Bluefrog
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby Bluefrog » Mon May 14, 2007 8:19 pm

maybe Nationwide has that in their file when they initially insured your home ....... F*** no because they NEVER go to the homes to see what they are insuring in the first place ... don't get me started either ... what a joke.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:47 am

OH blue, but sometime they do drive by. We received a nice letter telling us that if we didn't have a new roof put on within so many days (I can't remember how much time it was, seems like 3 months) that they would cancel our insurnace. This was right before Katrina and guess what, we did, the only problem after the storm with it was........................we COULDN'T FIND ANY OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby MGC » Tue May 15, 2007 8:06 pm

I wish you luck if you chose arbitration. I doubt you will be able to reach a compromise. Considering how the insurance companies have done in court on slab cases, I suspect that Nationwide will make you an offer well below what you are due hoping you are under duress and accept. Since the precedent has been established that insurance companies have the burden of proof in slab cases, should you not receive the limits of your policy? What does your attorney say?....MGC
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Stand firm with them Mary (even though i know you will!). Good luck!
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:38 am

Thanks MGC and Frick,

We know well all the tricks they are playing and we know the offer that was given to the people with The Scruggs Group from Nationwide....but I want PUNITIVE DAMAGES!!!! I guess I am greedy......nah, I just think they should pay for the HE!! that we have gone through because of their flat out denial. My attorney says he wants to see their hand first!..........we probably aren't going to respond to them. (They didn't respond to our letter, why should we respond to theirs? ROFL) They just want to know what we have, etc....want us to show our hand and helloooooo we were not born yesterday and as you said, they have the burden of proof and there was nobody down there that survived. Closest people were about 3 blocks to the East and they didn't belong in the house they were in and it was destroyed and they were killed and they still haven't been identified, so sad.

Mary
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:58 am

Hot Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attorney called today, the Federal Courts kicked our case back to local Circuit Court!!!!! Hot Dang!!!! First case kicked back!!!

Still a long battle ahead, but that is sooooooooo good news!!!

Mary
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#8 Postby Dionne » Thu May 31, 2007 6:19 am

MSRobi911 wrote:OH blue, but sometime they do drive by. We received a nice letter telling us that if we didn't have a new roof put on within so many days (I can't remember how much time it was, seems like 3 months) that they would cancel our insurnace. This was right before Katrina and guess what, we did, the only problem after the storm with it was........................we COULDN'T FIND ANY OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

We may have some of your shingles......they arrived by airmail on 29 August '05 at about 11:30 AM. Your welcome to have them back......but I should warn you.....there isn't much left of them!
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:20 pm

Dionne wrote:
MSRobi911 wrote:OH blue, but sometime they do drive by. We received a nice letter telling us that if we didn't have a new roof put on within so many days (I can't remember how much time it was, seems like 3 months) that they would cancel our insurnace. This was right before Katrina and guess what, we did, the only problem after the storm with it was........................we COULDN'T FIND ANY OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

We may have some of your shingles......they arrived by airmail on 29 August '05 at about 11:30 AM. Your welcome to have them back......but I should warn you.....there isn't much left of them!

Thanks D, but you keep them as a memento :)

Mary
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 am

Okay got a laugh after meeting Mark this morning...our attorney called Robi, he was scared to call me...rofl...said the "new adjuster" from our insurance company had called and offered the whopping total of $37,000.00 to settle our claim......Brandon laughed in his face, well over the telephone and told him he could guarantee his clients would not settle for that amount! Man was he right....I just can't imagine the gall of that man! Geeze Lousie! Robi told Brandon to call him back and tell him to stick that offer where the sun don't shine (well I am being nice on here), those weren't his exact words if you get my drift! He told him we were looking for a whole lot more than that and actually more than policy limits. Oh well, we will see what we will see. It's a shame this has come down to a "bad faith" issue. Such is life!

Mary

Mary
Last edited by MSRobi911 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby TSmith274 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:01 am

Thank God you got a lawyer. Good luck with it. My brother is a lawyer representing Allstate her in N.O. I ask him every day how he can sleep at night.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:23 pm

I know what you mean TSmith and we personally know the attorney that is handling Nationwide's claims, well he did the ones in Federal Court so I would assume he would handle ours. His son and my daughter went to school together from Kindergarten all the way to Ole MS! Plus his daughters danced with our daughter at a local dance studio. But it's his job, he gets paid a retainer to do this and I know it probably hurts him too cause he was in almost the same boat as we were. His house is on the same street as ours but on the West end the distance between Beach Blvd and Washington gets bigger with more houses in between to stop the wind and water....oh well. He still had a partial house left as we had nothing but a slab.

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”