Katrina victims.....where are you now?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Katrina victims.....where are you now?

#1 Postby Dionne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 am

What has happened to you since landfall? Where are you now? Is your life better or worse? Any regrets? Anything you would do differently if given the chance? Who still needs help? Did you evacuate? What are your future plans? If you rode out the storm....would you do it again?
0 likes   

oyster_reef
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Katrina victims.....where are you now?

#2 Postby oyster_reef » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:40 am

it's getting better.
what would i do different? I have done it... buy flood insurance.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby CajunMama » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 am

Can i put my 2 cents in here? People who went thru katrina are SURVIVORS, not victims. You've survivied against a horrific force of nature, you are rebuilding your lives, you've seen the worst and are making the most of your lives now. Survivor is such a much more postive term and it describes most of those who went thru katrina. Just my opinon :D
0 likes   

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby stormcrow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:11 am

They are survivors of the Hurricane and victims of the recovery effort.
0 likes   

Kerry04
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby Kerry04 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 pm

Well I been in Memphis,Tennessee since the storm. I`m from New Orleans and left the day before Katrina on the 28. I plan on moving back to New Orleans in about a month
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby TSmith274 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:00 pm

Still living in the city of New Orleans. Forced a career change... Civil Engineering. I hope to have a direct influence on protecting this city in the future. It has given me purpose. I will do everything I can in my career to ensure that this NEVER happens again. My life is better and I do not have any regrets.

Who still needs help? Well, everyone really. People also need to know the truth about the levees... that they are being fixed on the cheap. Many of them should be replaced with superior designs... which DO exist. But, the will is not there to do it... yet. We need to focus more on coastal restoration, and we need to start yesterday. And lastly, we need a surge wall at the Rigolets at the eastern shore of Lake Ponchartrain. This would protect New Orleans from hurricane related flooding FOREVER, with the exception of the west bank of the metro area. The cost would be about $1.6 Billion. Louisiana needs to make it a priority in these times of budget surpluses. Quite literally, New Orleans wouldn't even need levees along Lake Ponchartrain or the outfall canals. These levees would become secondary protection. Development along the shores of Lake Ponchartrain would BOOM with the eliminated flooding and surge threat. Also, this new wall is cheaper than fixing the outfall canals and lake levees. It really is a no-brainer.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#7 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:17 pm

TSmith274 wrote:Still living in the city of New Orleans. Forced a career change... Civil Engineering. I hope to have a direct influence on protecting this city in the future. It has given me purpose. I will do everything I can in my career to ensure that this NEVER happens again. My life is better and I do not have any regrets.

What were you doing before your new career?

The information you posted about the levies is very interesting. And, sadly obvious once pointed out.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby canetracker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Unless we fix our wetlands, we will never sustain any slow moving storm. Our local government has promised to fix the problem but the only steps they have taken towards that is to call meetings.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#9 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 pm

DanKellFla wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:Still living in the city of New Orleans. Forced a career change... Civil Engineering. I hope to have a direct influence on protecting this city in the future. It has given me purpose. I will do everything I can in my career to ensure that this NEVER happens again. My life is better and I do not have any regrets.

What were you doing before your new career?

The information you posted about the levies is very interesting. And, sadly obvious once pointed out.

I had done many different things. My 1st degree was in biology. Worked for a bit for a pharmaceutical company as a sales assistant. Had decided to try teaching after a failed attempt at dental school. Then Katrina came, and I immediately sarted pursuing a Civil Engineering degree. I had always considered it, but I was content, so I never did it. That, and the fact that my family mostly have careers in the medical field... just seemed like the logical step. In retrospect, I'm glad I decided to change. I would have been bored. But now, at least I can try to make a real difference in this city... hopefully.

It really is amazing... hearing what my professors say about the levees. They are all disgusted by it. And after you study the subject for a couple years, you get disgusted too. There are some truly unbelievable oversights at the hands of the Corp. Unbelievable stuff. People who live in New Orleans see it on the news on occasion. But we talk about it every day. There are flood walls in this city that just come to an abrupt end. No action taken to complete them. It's just mind boggling.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:52 am

CajunMama wrote:Can i put my 2 cents in here? People who went thru katrina are SURVIVORS, not victims. You've survivied against a horrific force of nature, you are rebuilding your lives, you've seen the worst and are making the most of your lives now. Survivor is such a much more postive term and it describes most of those who went thru katrina. Just my opinon :D

We are Survivors! and we will keep on keeping on. Like TSmith said, there are still so many people that need help down here, especially the older people on fixed incomes. There was a report tonight on local TV of some people that had their house repaired by "Katrina Angels" and unfortunately they are having problems with going up and down the stairs to the "new home". They have raised the elevation levels so high it is just plain crazy.

Would I do anything differnt? Oh yea, instead of spending hours picking up everying and putting it "up" in my house I would spend my time putting it in my van and truck and hauling it to my Mothers house! Cause no matter how "high" it was...it was still G O N E when we went back to the slab.

Did I stay through the storm? Yes, was the experiencing life changing, certainly. Would I stay again, yes where I was located was perfectly safe. We all had to go to the second floor but we still had three more floors to go up and lots of room "inside" away from windows for protection. The court house is a "bomb shelter" so it was built very strong.

We bought a house about 10 miles north of our "house" before the storm and we are living here....to us, it's still not home, that remains down on Washington. But the way things look with the insurance rates I don't know if we can ever afford to rebuild. House prices went out of the roof immediately after the storm. Houses that cost 125,000.00 before the storm became 325,000.00 houses....that is just an example of someone that I know that had made a deal with a man, put down earnest money with him (individually) and then this "really rich guy" came in and said he would buy it for three times as much, cash money.....of course the man couldn't pass that up. The prices are still up there but will eventually come down. So we were lucky to find this house through my Mom's church friend who just happened to be moving.....man just to get out of that trailer.....that was wonderful! We sat on the floor for a long time...but hey we could go somewhere without hearing someone else "toot" even though Chad said he didn't do that in another thread...hahaha (like I believe that) and to take a shower in a real shower without having to turn the water on get wet, turn it off and soap up, turn it on and rinse off cause the hot water tanks are so little was a dream come true and to be able to sit on a real "pot" without the door open cause your legs won't fit inside with the door closed, even though I am only 5' 2" ..... that was something else!

Mary
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Ixolib » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:56 pm

What has happened to you since landfall?
I rebuilt the house in Biloxi (took a year), rented it out, and me and the wife moved to St. Petersburg, FL. She now works for Pinellas County and I'm hoping to very soon be working for the City of St. Petersburg.

Where are you now?
Still in St. Petersburg.

Is your life better or worse?
Neither, really. Just different... Water's much prettier here!!

Any regrets?
I miss my hometown, but I love St. Pete. We take the boat out every chance!! The beaches and fishing are second to none.

Anything you would do differently if given the chance?
I'd have flood insurance BEFORE the storm (it sure is cheap enough!!). That's why I had to rebuild it myself - no financial resources to speak of!! The $60K we put into the house would probably be at least double that if we had to hire someone...

Who still needs help?
We're good.

Did you evacuate?
No. It was "quite amazing" experiencing the surge as it came into the house!!!!!!

What are your future plans?
Most probably staying here as long as I can get good rental income from the house in Biloxi!! Unfortunately, the house we have here is only 14 feet above sea level. :eek:
But this time we've got flood insurance on both properties!!!!

If you rode out the storm....would you do it again?
Good question. If not for the surge, yes. At 19 feet above sea level in Biloxi, I never would have thought we'd take storm surge (23 feet at my address). If it's just a matter of wind, I'd still most probably stay in the house. Storm surge is a whole different ballgame...
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:43 pm

as many of you know I'm back in my home... FEMA trailer gone... doggie condo downstairs complete with AC. (I might have to spend more time there than I want... hehe).. house fully furnished and we have practically everything we had before the storm... its all new stuff... building this house the past 13 months was perhaps one of the more difficult things I've done because of the circumstances of the build... not sure if I'd do it again... but that being said... I think I've FULLY recovered and living the good life again... amist all the empty lots around me... but that's OK too... I'm getting used to having the whole block to myself... it took two complete years to get here... and it was a long road... I feel for the many whole are not even close to a full recovery...

When to S AL this weekend on Frid... Nice to drive to the east shore and Foley and see businesses and restaurants all over the place... miss that along the coast... so many things still missing and will be for years... that's the price you pay when you get hit with a catastraphic storm...
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm in New Orleans with my same job as before Katrina. I lived Uptown for years, but, moved to Mid-City in May, 2007. I came back to New Orleans on Sept. 28, 2005 and have been here, in the city, since.
0 likes   

Rocketman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Rocketman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 am

Still here in Biloxi. I moved north of I-10 before the storm.

Life isn't the same in many ways. I miss the lighter traffic, I don't like all the illegals (and I realize their role in the rebuilding process), insurance has doubled/tripled, etc.

The only regret I have and it's a big one, is letting my ex-wife take my girls during the storm. I almost lost them. I've apologized a hundred times since then. If there's a next time, they're coming with me.

I evac'd to Vancleave, since I live in a mobile home. I could not believe my eyes when I returned and it was still intact. Roof smashed, but repairable. My plan is to have a modular home built on the land asap. Then, maybe, I'd stay instead of evacuate. I'm 80' above sea level.
0 likes   

rtd2
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby rtd2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:37 am

Dionne wrote:What has happened to you since landfall? Where are you now? Is your life better or worse? Any regrets? Anything you would do differently if given the chance? Who still needs help? Did you evacuate? What are your future plans? If you rode out the storm....would you do it again?

I'm still at the same job-Keesler Airforce base. My life is better-Making more money and made ALOT of side money doing minor repairs to peoples houses and that expanded by word of mouth. wouldnt do anything different. I rebuilt my parents home (gutted and replace interior) in 47 days following Katrina thnks to the Govt giving KAFB civilians 30days leave paid! I rode out the storm here on base-wife and kid went to N. Alabama with family. I would stay Again. I sold my home in biloxi which had monor damage and moved up in the county 20 miles abd bought 22 acres of property that i'm living on in a 2700sq/ft modular home. LOVE IT! its my future and keeps me busy 24/7! Working on digging a 5 acre pond and fencing about 10 acres on the property! Looking back Katrina has been a Blessing to my family in so many ways. I made extra money sold my home in a subdivision moved to the country my I rebuilt my parents home myself saving them $$$$ thousands of dollars in labor using the money insurance and fema gave them and now thanks to the federal govt and the generous tax payers in the USA my parents home is Now paid for! (grant money) It was a trying experience that ended up being a blessing!
0 likes   

BC
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby BC » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Dionne wrote:What has happened to you since landfall? Where are you now? Is your life better or worse? Any regrets? Anything you would do differently if given the chance? Who still needs help? Did you evacuate? What are your future plans? If you rode out the storm....would you do it again?

Well, I lost my house in Pass Christian.. Had flood insurance, but not enough.. So I sold the lot to pay off the HELOC I had on it after paying off the first mortgage with insurance money..

I have since gotten married and moved to Orange Grove (i.e. Gulfport north of I-10 for those that don't know) in a new neighborhood.. I've changed jobs, though still in the same field (IT).. I'd say my quality of life is better overall than it was before the storm..

No real regrets other than not having enough insurance.. Do differently - have more insurance.. :)

Don't still need help..

We did evacuate, but I plan on staying for anything CAT 3/4 and under.. Where I'm at, if I get flooded again, the entire Coast will be under water..
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby LaPlaceFF » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Ever since after Katrina, I have gotten a divorce, reunited with and old girlfriend of mine, bought a house, and now I have a new daughter.

The sad part is that 2 days after Katrina I lost my dad and 4 months ago I lost my brother.

I am also sucessfully battling lymphomia (Hodkin's disease). At this writing, I have 2 more chemos to go

A Survivor,............YEP!!!
0 likes   

NewOrleansMom
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#18 Postby NewOrleansMom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Initially, our lives seemed to be upside down, although we fared much better than so many.

Where are you now?
On the west bank of New Orleans.

Life is about the same with exception to anxiety level with every storm season.

Any regrets?
Temporarily lost my job for 8 months after Katrina due to damage to our office building.
I volunteered my time, until it was absolutely necessary to go back to work. Volunteering was a form and healing for me and I have no regrets what so ever about any of our choices.

No

Who still needs help?
We don't.

Did you evacuate?
Yep. Went to Jackson, Miss. The storm followed us there unfortunately.

Move after retirement, unfortunately. We LOVE this city, but it's just too scary to live here anymore. Can't take the stress, just too much.

We didn't, but my son-in-laws co-worker rode out Katrina in Chalmette. H almost died and he's very lucky to be alive today. Listening to his story two weeks later left us speechless.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby LAwxrgal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 pm

OMG, my life is totally different. I've got a new job, I'm in a serious relationship now, and my mother lives with me and my boyfriend. I have a different view on hurricanes.

Where are you now?
Returned to Reserve, LA in September 2005.

It's just a lot different.

Any regrets?
I wish I could have convinced my aunt to leave New Orleans.

I'd have had insurance before the storm.

Who still needs help?
We're good.

Did you evacuate?
Yes

Possibly buying a house somewhere in Texas.

NO!
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby HurricaneQueen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Wow, I just stumbled across this most interesting thread. Reading the stories, just tugged at my heart strings. People are amazingly interesting SURVIVORS and so resilient given the right attitude. So much destruction, so much heart-break and yet, those who have written have bounced back stronger than ever. It's a shame that it takes a catastrophe of such epic proportions to see the very best in people.

Kudos to all who have shared their experiences with us. I'd love to hear more and I'm certain I am not alone.

Lynn
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”