NOEL Aftermath

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#381 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:In summation I'd have to say that Noel wasn't really all that bad. Sure parts of Massachusetts and Nova Scotia had fair amounts of isolated damage; still it could have been much worse. It was certainly no Long Island Express of 1938, Carol 1954, Edna 1954, Saxby Gale of 1869, or even a Ginny 1963, Bob 1991, Halloween storm 1991, Hybridstorm 2001 or to a much more isolated degree in terms of area affected Juan 2003, thank God.

This time around at least people were taking the threat more seriously than in past years, that much is a blessing.

BTW Here is the link to my blog, it has lots of images an more info to come about the storm:

http://hybridstorm-weatherblog.blogspot.com/

Juan really is the outlier in that list. Had it made landfall 30 miles to the east or 60 miles to the west, the damage would have been far less and it would have been seen as just another storm, since it was a pretty small storm with its intensity focused on the most populated swath of Atlantic Canada. Most of the other storms had large areas of less severe damage that added up to a significant total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: NOEL Aftermath

#382 Postby cycloneye » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:54 pm

This thread will move to the Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath forum in 2 days.But members can post here any news from the areas affected.
0 likes   

Just Joshing You
Category 2
Category 2

#383 Postby Just Joshing You » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:52 pm

I just got power on. I have to disagree though. Noel was very bad. Widespread damage all over the entire province... complete opposite of Juan. Juan damaged badly over a small area, while This storm was ripping roofs off houses over 1000 MILES away from the center of the storm.
I just got power back. we didnt get hit as bad, but still... a quick drive showed hundreds of tress down, uprooted fully. A roof was partially ripped off, and a mobile home was pushed off its stand and rolled onto its side...
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#384 Postby Squarethecircle » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:40 pm

extradited wrote:I just got power on. I have to disagree though. Noel was very bad. Widespread damage all over the entire province... complete opposite of Juan. Juan damaged badly over a small area, while This storm was ripping roofs off houses over 1000 MILES away from the center of the storm.
I just got power back. we didnt get hit as bad, but still... a quick drive showed hundreds of tress down, uprooted fully. A roof was partially ripped off, and a mobile home was pushed off its stand and rolled onto its side...

Ouch, I wonder when a news report might come out on this. What kind of damage did you get in your yard?
0 likes   

Just Joshing You
Category 2
Category 2

#385 Postby Just Joshing You » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 pm

There already is news regarding the widespread damage. herald.ns.ca is local news paper. Sure, there wasn't a single area that was hit crazy hard, but if you draw a 2000 KM circle around the maritimes, that's the damage zone. Newfoundland got hit bad, Nova Scotia. New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, too. The storm made landfall in St. Stephens New Brunswick, and Newfoundland is approx 1500 KM-1750 KM from there. Truro N.S is about 700 KM to 900 KM from St. Stephens, and hell, we had widespread tree damage. A greenhouse in a parking lot was picked up and thrown half a KM and it landed directly on a truck, causing lots of damage.

If you take all the damage from Noel, I would bet a large chunk of money that it's more than Juan.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#386 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm

extradited wrote:There already is news regarding the widespread damage. herald.ns.ca is local news paper. Sure, there wasn't a single area that was hit crazy hard, but if you draw a 2000 KM circle around the maritimes, that's the damage zone. Newfoundland got hit bad, Nova Scotia. New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, too. The storm made landfall in St. Stephens New Brunswick, and Newfoundland is approx 1500 KM-1750 KM from there. Truro N.S is about 700 KM to 900 KM from St. Stephens, and hell, we had widespread tree damage. A greenhouse in a parking lot was picked up and thrown half a KM and it landed directly on a truck, causing lots of damage.

If you take all the damage from Noel, I would bet a large chunk of money that it's more than Juan.

I think it could easily be up near Juan numbers when everything is added up. It was a much larger hurricane (note I am using that term since I think it was warm-core up to Atlantic Canada) and almost the same strength (possibly the same? I'd go with 80 kt personally +/- 5 kt). If Juan had hit anywhere else along the Nova Scotia coast, the damage would have been quite minimal...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”