OLGA's Aftermath

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#81 Postby RL3AO » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Chacor wrote:Few stick out in my mind though. Sepat in Taiwan, Daman in Fiji and Flossie in Hawaii to name just three...

It seems strange, but I would have to see how common those small to moderate quakes are. Obviously Hawaii is very active seismically. I think Taiwan is on or near the ring of fire. Not sure about Fiji. It could just be that no one notices those 4.0-5.0 quakes, except when everyone is focusing on an area after a disaster. I'd be very surprised if there is not a 4.0 quake multiple times per week near Hawaii. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sticking with coincidence.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#82 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:30 pm

It will be interesting if you can find a tropical system affecting an area where earthquakes never happen and you get an earthquake.

So far the comparisons are like if you have a landslide in California because of heavy rains and you also get an earthquake.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#83 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:37 pm

Fiji earthquake: There's a fault

0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re: OLGA's Aftermath: 4.2 quake hits 9 mi NE Santiago, DR

#84 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Former AMS President C.F. Brooks did research on occurences of earthquakes during tropical cyclones.
0 likes   

btangy
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#85 Postby btangy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:25 am

fact789 wrote:there has to be a link between TC's and EQ's. Very interesting.

We often see patterns where there aren't any. If wind stresses and wave action truly did cause earthquakes, you would think you would see earthquakes coinciding with mid-latitude storms as well which are far more frequent often more powerful in terms of total energy. Also, the effect on the ocean by even a powerful hurricane is only in the first few hundred meters. I'm not an earthquake expert but there's no regular pattern in earthquakes that's statistically robust from what I've heard. If hurricanes truly coincided with earthquakes, even some of them, there would be a strong seasonality to earthquakes as well that would emerge after many years of data.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: OLGA's Aftermath: 4.2 quake hits 9 mi NE Santiago, DR

#86 Postby jinftl » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:56 am

What did he find in his research?

HurricaneBill wrote:Former AMS President C.F. Brooks did research on occurences of earthquakes during tropical cyclones.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

Re: OLGA's Aftermath

#87 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm

0 likes   

quaqualita
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: OLGA's Aftermath

#88 Postby quaqualita » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 pm

A very good summery about Olga's aftermath, the (fake?) death toll number released by the Dominican government, and more info about the (unnecessary?) water release of the dam you can also ready here:
http://www.ginniebedggood.com/ginnie-bedggood-news.php
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”