Exciting Changes - WesternPacificWeather.com partnership!!!

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Exciting Changes - WesternPacificWeather.com partnership!!!

#1 Postby mf_dolphin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 am

I am very pleased to announce that Storm2k and WesternPacificWeather have decided to join forces as partners! RobWESTPACWX and his team bring exciting analysis and detailed understanding of the Western Pacific basin storms and will exponentially increase the amount of information available to Storm2k.

As we expand our presence in the WestPAC basin we thought it was important to split that basin's information into a separate forum. Soon you will see a new forum, "Active Storms - WestPAC/Asia". The active threads will be moved into the new forum shortly afterwards. You will also see that some of the WesternPacificWeather team will have Moderator rights in the new forum.

We may also make some other changes in teh Active Storms forums as we move forward.

Please join me in welcoming the WesternPacificWeather team to Storm2k and make sure to visit their site @ http://www.westernpacificweather.com.

The S2K Management Team!
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 am

Congrats! We definitely could use some more people to talk about WPac storms. Looking forward to seeing the changes and such.

Welcome to the forums!
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

ManilaTC
WesternPacificWeather.com

Re: Exciting Changes - WesternPacificWeather.com partnership!!!

#3 Postby ManilaTC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Where is it? hehehe
0 likes   
The above post is NOT official and should not be used as such. It is my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. Please refer to your official national weather agency.

WEB http://goo.gl/JDiKXB | FB https://goo.gl/N5sIle | @ManilaTC

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby tolakram » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Right here: viewforum.php?f=76

All the tropical forums can be found in the tropical forum section: viewforum.php?f=45

:)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Typhoon Hunter

#5 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Great stuff! Look forward to a big and vibrant Wpac community developing as we go forward! :)
0 likes   
James - Documenting typhoons...

http://www.youtube.com/TyphoonHunter

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 am

i don't understand why there isn't a large number of wpac users in here...we are 10 x more populated than north america but only a few users! and possibly the most populated area in all of earth's tropical cyclone basin...i can see our wpac community developing and bring more wpac information to the outside world!!! :D
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

francis327

#7 Postby francis327 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:11 am

euro6208 wrote:i don't understand why there isn't a large number of wpac users in here...we are 10 x more populated than north america but only a few users! and possibly the most populated area in all of earth's tropical cyclone basin...i can see our wpac community developing and bring more wpac information to the outside world!!! :D

well, maybe "Westpacian" are less expressive and a bit more shy? one possible reason and secondly, possible of the native language itself. Well I came across active Chinese forum especially in Taiwan which more or less similar like ours here so ya, that is one of the reason as well. Our information is passing out well but it requires translation as well. :)
0 likes   
WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 pm

francis327 wrote:
euro6208 wrote:i don't understand why there isn't a large number of wpac users in here...we are 10 x more populated than north america but only a few users! and possibly the most populated area in all of earth's tropical cyclone basin...i can see our wpac community developing and bring more wpac information to the outside world!!! :D

well, maybe "Westpacian" are less expressive and a bit more shy? one possible reason and secondly, possible of the native language itself. Well I came across active Chinese forum especially in Taiwan which more or less similar like ours here so ya, that is one of the reason as well. Our information is passing out well but it requires translation as well. :)

We actually have some members from a Mainland China typhoon weather board, but they have never been active. They pop in once in a while and post a comment, but that is so seldom I can't honestly tell you who they are.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 am

mf_dolphin wrote:You will also see that some of the WesternPacificWeather team will have Moderator rights in the new forum.

I take it they're the ones dressed in Cyan?
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 am

euro6208 wrote:i don't understand why there isn't a large number of wpac users in here...

People tend to gravitate towards sites/boards focused on their areas. There are dozens of these types of weather sites across the web. People can't be on all of them.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

Absolutely WeatherGuesser. We've historically been focused on the Atlantic basin since that's where the bulk of our members are from. Since we've gather more and more people from the WestPAC and Australia, it's great to now have the WesternPacificWeather folks on-board to help with the knowledge of those basins. Having been stationed in the WestPAC during my Air Force years (Guam) I went through a couple of typhoons and I can tell you they're no fun. The one thing that's drastically different is in how they're much better prepared than we are in the US.
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#12 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Our Goal here with S2K is to gravitate people here for discussion. Our site at western pacific weather has been exploding with views lately and we are really looking for a platform to recommend people to go to for good in depth discussion that is up to the minute out here in eastern Asia. As far as English based weather forums that have discussions on the western pacific S2K has been the best I can find.

With that said this partnership is very exciting at least from my point of view. I think its going to help a lot of people out in getting and sharing information across this basin.
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 pm

One big plus is that there is so much activity on the Atlantic/Epac/Severe Wx side that if anyone from the Wpac has family in the U.S., or in the regions surrounding, they can get a lot of info about those areas ontop of the Wpac info...without having to change sites!
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Typhoon Hunter

#14 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 pm

The mainland Chinese forum is the most crazy I've ever seen, all in Chinese obviously and regularly gets 500+ pages for big typhoons threatening land! I think the quieter numbers on here is mainly due to language, it's quite a niche person from China, Japan, Taiwan etc who's highly interested in TCs and also speaks fluent English! I didn't include Philippines since most people speak excellent English there and we have lots of Filipino friends already here! :D
0 likes   
James - Documenting typhoons...

http://www.youtube.com/TyphoonHunter

Cryomaniac
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#15 Postby Cryomaniac » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 am

Typhoon Hunter wrote:The mainland Chinese forum is the most crazy I've ever seen, all in Chinese obviously and regularly gets 500+ pages for big typhoons threatening land! I think the quieter numbers on here is mainly due to language, it's quite a niche person from China, Japan, Taiwan etc who's highly interested in TCs and also speaks fluent English! I didn't include Philippines since most people speak excellent English there and we have lots of Filipino friends already here! :D

Chinese and Japanese forums tend to be huge anyway, whatever the subject. I've always thought it would be quite cool to be able to read (and maybe write, at least using a keyboard if not by hand) Chinese or Japanese text. The only issue is how much time it would take to learn.
0 likes   

oaba09
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby oaba09 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:10 am

Awesome!

This should make WPAC discussions more active :D
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#17 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 am

Well I think our goal is to provide weather support for those who do speak english or whom are abroad in areas of the world where they dont speak the local language. ( I.E , myself) A lot of the agencies are nice in making text in english but there are no discussions on it and definatlly no one to chat with it about. Lets hope this becomes the new spot for the westpac for people in that situation! Not to mention bilingual people and ones abroad who want to folllow storms here.

Becuase well, typhoons are just massive and sometimes can be quite interesting to follow.
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”