Attention All Members....Please Read Immediately

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Attention All Members....Please Read Immediately

#1 Postby southerngale » Fri May 21, 2004 4:46 am

Please disregard the email you received overnight from "storm2kupdates@yahoo.com" and if you haven't already, please do not click the links in the email. This was NOT sent by the storm2k administrators. Further information may be provided later.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Jack8631
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Jack8631 » Fri May 21, 2004 5:34 am

I did click on the link; my NIS 2004 said NO WAY DUDE! Pegged it as a medium risk, and killed it. I was going to contact admin at S2K this morning; happy to see your post on the matter.
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Colin » Fri May 21, 2004 6:34 am

I opened it, and nothing seemed to happen...I have both Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby wx247 » Fri May 21, 2004 7:07 am

This makes me mad!!! That email is intentional. :grr: Someone will pay!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri May 21, 2004 8:13 am

For some odd reason, my storm2k mail (the newsletter announcements and "A private message has arrived" alerts) go to my bulk/junk mail folder even though I didn't set it as spam. I haven't bothered to change it since most of the time, the alert at the top of the S2K suffices as PM notification and I already know when the newsletters come out and where to access it. :)

I bounced in here first this AM and it's a good thing. Just checked and I got that email also, so I deleted it. Was there a way for someone to send an email to all members? Is there a way to check the header and find out the IP so we can catch the bandit? Did it say anything because obviously there was no attachment.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri May 21, 2004 1:05 pm

For everyone's information. The board was hacked this morning at 5:ooAM or so. They were able to get access to the Admin Function and that's how they sent the e-mail. This is the work of cowards butnever fear, we will get to the bottom of it before we're done. I can promise you that!

This appears to be the work of a known hacker group that targets specific vulnerabilities in phpBB. We ma have to take the board off-line at some point to try and upgrade to the latest version. With all of the custom modifications it's not an easy thing to do. After Chad and have a chance to talk a bit this week-end we'll let you know!
0 likes   

Jack8631
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Jack8631 » Fri May 21, 2004 2:52 pm

I'm not an expert on computers. The email may have originated from S2K due to the hack, but the link is what triggered my NIS. I have logs with IP's and visual tracking. If this information can be of any assistance to S2K, please let me know.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby breeze » Fri May 21, 2004 7:53 pm

Well, slow as I am, I haven't checked my e-mail
in DAYS, so, I'll let Yahoo have it as "Spam".

Thanks for the heads-up!
0 likes   

williwaw linduh
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby williwaw linduh » Fri May 21, 2004 8:20 pm

:x I opened the email as well. Then deleted the files after reading the post. Ran Norton and found nothing.
0 likes   

Southernmost Weather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Southernmost Weather » Sat May 22, 2004 6:13 am

Would've been nice to receive an email from an admin about NOT opening this file for those of us who don't visit here on a regular basis. How long did you know this was a bad file? Were admins planning to notify rest of membership that may not visit here on a regular basis about this situation?
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”