Texas gathering?

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Texas gathering?

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:32 pm

We have tried to get one together for the last several years and they always seem to fizzle. Maybe we can get a Texas(not just Houston) group together here in Houston for the Texas Hurricane conference in May with a planned meal also. Of course any suggestion is welcome. I'm opening this up for discussion and ideas. I can not plan it out as I am starting a new job in a few weeks and all of my attention will be focused on that, but I will definitly plan to attend something if a plan can be devised.

Of course we would welcome anyone from anywhere, especially our LA neighbors!!!

Hmmm??? 44 views and not one response. I'll sticky it just to make sure for a few days.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby HouTXmetro » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:40 am

Well Im sort of a Hermit, but all you had to say was food and that gets my attention.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

Dr. Jonah Rainwater
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Dr. Jonah Rainwater » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:22 am

Texas is a big state.....I'd still want to go to an s2k meetup even if it's in Houston.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby george_r_1961 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 pm

We can have it at Beaumont at Southerngales house :lol:
0 likes   

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby jeff » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:36 pm

george_r_1961 wrote:We can have it at Beaumont at Southerngales house :lol:

Just to note I believe the local hurricane conference which is refered to above is the Houston/Galveston Hurricane Workshop? There is also a state conference in Beaumont the last week of May, but I do not believe it is open to the public.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby ROCK » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:59 pm

Got a kitchen pass if this doesn't fizzle..... :lol:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:47 pm

jeff wrote:

Just to note I believe the local hurricane conference which is refered to above is the Houston/Galveston Hurricane Workshop? There is also a state conference in Beaumont the last week of May, but I do not believe it is open to the public.

That is how it was last year if I remember correctly.
0 likes   

jimbo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby jimbo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:31 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:Well Im sort of a Hermit, but all you had to say was food and that gets my attention.

snicker, snicker...........
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby jasons2k » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:09 am

I'm prob in. - also, a lot of the TX people are in the USA forum - might want to have thread over there.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10 Postby southerngale » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm all for a gathering, but not so sure about my house. Several reasons but one being that I'm just not ready for company since Rita. Friends and family around here is one thing, but for a first time visit... "Welcome to my home that still looks like crap" isn't gonna happen. At least not for this kind of thing.

Anyway, I am hoping to go to the workshop in Houston so I would love to go to a gathering as well. Since it's at 4:00 on a Tuesday, maybe those who can get off work could meet for a late lunch before the conference or something. And for those who can't make that, everyone could go somewhere later that night after it ends.

If someone in the Houston area wants to check out some places to meet before/after the workshop somewhere near the George R. Brown Convention Center, we'd appreciate it.

Or other ideas?
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby ROCK » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:45 pm

southerngale wrote:

I'm all for a gathering, but not so sure about my house. Several reasons but one being that I'm just not ready for company since Rita. Friends and family around here is one thing, but for a first time visit... "Welcome to my home that still looks like crap" isn't gonna happen. At least not for this kind of thing.

Anyway, I am hoping to go to the workshop in Houston so I would love to go to a gathering as well. Since it's at 4:00 on a Tuesday, maybe those who can get off work could meet for a late lunch before the conference or something. And for those who can't make that, everyone could go somewhere later that night after it ends.

If someone in the Houston area wants to check out some places to meet before/after the workshop somewhere near the George R. Brown Convention Center, we'd appreciate it.

Or other ideas?

Spaghetti Warehouse is DT and could accommodate plenty of people...just a thought...
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#12 Postby cajungal » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:38 pm

I might possibly be in Galveston around July or August. Talking about going with my cousin, her husband, and their 3 kids ages 7, 3, and 2. My cousin's dad's side is from Galveston and we may be able to stay with her relatives. I hope so because I can't find 1 hotel room in Galveston in the summer for under $100 a night! So, it depends on finances if we will be able to go or not. But, I am the only one interested in the weather! I know my cousin could care less probably and her kids are too young to understand.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm

I might be able to attend, but I don't do spaghetti. Cannot stand tomatoes in any way! That means no pizza, either. I'll be at the GRB Convention Center from about 3pm until it closes that evening. Will have to stay there to collect my 2nd generator in the drawing.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby ROCK » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:40 pm

wxman57 wrote:I might be able to attend, but I don't do spaghetti. Cannot stand tomatoes in any way! That means no pizza, either. I'll be at the GRB Convention Center from about 3pm until it closes that evening. Will have to stay there to collect my 2nd generator in the drawing.

good luck in the generator drawing. :D ..what sort of watts are we talking? a 15kw will run my house....
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 am

this is the link to information about the workshop. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/workshop06.htm

From what i gather so far we have interest in attending a function and/or the workshop from:
vbhoutex
Southerngale
HouTXmetro
Rock
Jschlitz
wxman57
Dr. Jonah Rainwater
Jeff???

If there are others that are interested please let us know soon so some sort of planning can begin. I realize this is 2 months away but we need to be able to get things arranged ahead of time.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

Interested, of course!

#16 Postby Houstonia » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:29 am

... wow.. how could I NOT be interested? I still have some pictures of our first gathering (galvestonduck, katdaddy... duh.. I can't remember the others!!)

I look forward to it and you can count on me attending. I might be dragging along my officially unoffical fiance. :-)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#17 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:33 am

1. vbhoutex
2. Southerngale
3. HouTXmetro
4. Rock
5. Jschlitz
6. wxman57
7. Dr. Jonah Rainwater
8. Jeff???
9. Houstonia

Still waiting to hear from a lot of the Houston and Texas area members. Are we going to let the Florida group out do us? :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#18 Postby Air Force Met » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:18 pm

vbhoutex wrote:1. vbhoutex
2. Southerngale
3. HouTXmetro
4. Rock
5. Jschlitz
6. wxman57
7. Dr. Jonah Rainwater
8. Jeff???
9. Houstonia

Still waiting to hear from a lot of the Houston and Texas area members. Are we going to let the Florida group out do us? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey...I'll come. Wednesdays and Sundays are no go's...but other than that...I'm fairly flexible.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#19 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:10 am

1. vbhoutex
2. Southerngale
3. HouTXmetro
4. Rock
5. Jschlitz
6. wxman57
7. Dr. Jonah Rainwater
8. Jeff???
9. Houstonia
10. AFM

Adding AFM to the mix. Anyone else?
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby TexasStooge » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Why not have an additional meeting set up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so we'll know what to do when a major Hurricane gets as far as this area.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”