Talking Tropics Forum Format for 2006

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#41 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:12 pm

The new guidance for Talking Tropics forum is running from the time this announcement was posted.That means threads that will be made and exceed 10 pages will be locked and a new one with the same title will be created.So far no threads that haved been made after the announcement was made haved exceeded the 10 page rule.

I am very happy to see that the pics and graphics are being posted in the form the new guidance for Talking Tropics has been implemented.

Folks this is basiclly the same format that last year worked in a great way but now we added these two new rules.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#42 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:25 pm

I will set the example about the 10 page locking of threads by starting with this one. :) If it gets to 10 pages I will lock it.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby Cookiely » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:25 pm

cycloneye wrote:As senorepepr said this is like last years format which worked very well with now the new addition of no long threads and no large images only links have to be posted for images especially those that are superlarge ones.I thought there would be cheering all around here. :)

I'm cheering. I think its a great idea. Especially about posting links to images. No major scrolling for my poor hands. If your a frequent visitor then it won't matter you will already have read the previous ten pages. Another thing is the fact that hopefully the server will run smoothly. Being without Storm2K during the height of the hurricane season is definitely NOT healthy for my mental health. Thanks to all the mods and admins for their work on the board and their weather knowledge.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#44 Postby Jim Cantore » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:50 am

cycloneye wrote:
skysummit wrote:How about when the threads get to 10 pages, and new one is formed, the first one is still left to be a sticky? That way it won't get lost in threadland.

Imagine if we have a system like Katrina which last year thread was with 228 pages.We would then have many stickies that there will not be room for other threads.But to avoid that I can bump the locked threads so no problem. :)

228 pages :eek:

thats when I LOVE the new rule, it would take me over an hour to go through that thread to look for a certain post of picture.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:43 am

We do have a search feature so finding the locked threads shouldn't be an issue. Only the current threads will be stickied to keep the most current information/discussion at the top.
0 likes   

DoctorHurricane2003

#46 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:54 am

Disappointing, but oh well. I'll just hope that we don't get a Katrina this year so we don't have 23 threads with the same title floating around.
0 likes   

Terrell
Category 2
Category 2

#47 Postby Terrell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am

Sounds good to me.

I could only think of one thing I think should be changed, on the first post of the new thread, could the mods please place a link to the most recent of the older threads, for those who hadn't read the first 10 pages yet, it would be easier than doing a search.
Last edited by Terrell on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby skysummit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:58 am

DoctorHurricane2003 wrote:Disappointing, but oh well. I'll just hope that we don't get a Katrina this year so we don't have 23 threads with the same title floating around.

They won't have the same name....they'll be numbered #1, #2, etc...
0 likes   

DoctorHurricane2003

#49 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:00 pm

I know that. Its still way too many IMO. But oh well.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby angelwing » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Thank you for all your hard work, this will be great especially with the coming season! :D
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby SouthFloridawx » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Perhaps this may be a good idea as far as the 10 page thread lock.

At the top of the new thread of provide a link(s) to the other locked threads concerning that thread.

Example:

Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion... etc... Thread # 3

On page 1 of the new thread provide the links like so

Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion Thread # 1 - Link
Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion Thread # 2 - Link

So that way if you are trying to search for a particular Thread # on Hurricane alpha you can easily just look at the top of the Thread and see the links for the previous threads on that particular topic. This will allow for people to be able to easily find the other threads that are locked and also keep the current system free flowing and keep people on the forum happy. All will be happy!

Just my 2 cents...
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby SouthFloridawx » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:22 pm

If you are interested in this you might try it on one of the stickys at the top of the forum that are longer than 10 pages!

SouthFloridawx wrote:Perhaps this may be a good idea as far as the 10 page thread lock.

At the top of the new thread of provide a link(s) to the other locked threads concerning that thread.

Example:

Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion... etc... Thread # 3

On page 1 of the new thread provide the links like so

Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion Thread # 1 - Link
Hurricane Alpha - Models, Sat Pics, Discussion Thread # 2 - Link

So that way if you are trying to search for a particular Thread # on Hurricane alpha you can easily just look at the top of the Thread and see the links for the previous threads on that particular topic. This will allow for people to be able to easily find the other threads that are locked and also keep the current system free flowing and keep people on the forum happy. All will be happy!

Just my 2 cents...
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#53 Postby P.K. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:30 pm

These new rules are all good. :D Amazing to think we've recently had two threads on Aus storms (Larry and Glenda) which would have been closed and restarted though. :lol:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#54 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Terrell wrote:Sounds good to me.

I could only think of one thing I think should be changed, on the first post of the new thread, could the mods please place a link to the most recent of the older threads, for those who hadn't read the first 10 pages yet, it would be easier than doing a search.

Good suggestion.There is a search feature here but posting the links of the locked threads I like it and guess what,it will be part of this new rule of threads.I think SouthFloridas idea is similar to yours so links will be part of this but remember there is a search feature. :)
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#55 Postby senorpepr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:00 pm

DoctorHurricane2003 wrote:Disappointing, but oh well. I'll just hope that we don't get a Katrina this year so we don't have 23 threads with the same title floating around.

Keep in mind that the way the board works is when you select a topic, it reads the entire thread from the database. If the thread has 228 pages, it would read all 228 pages each time someone clicked on it.

In the case of Katrina last year, each time someone clicked on it (with 400+ members online at any given time, lets say that was frequently), the server would have to go through each and every post. This puts a large amount of stress on the server.

By limiting things to 10 pages, this will GREATLY reduce load on the server.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#56 Postby southerngale » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:38 pm

I like what Terrell and South said. We'll put the links to the locked threads in the first post of the new thread. Even though we have a search feature that works great, that will make it easier for all of you. :) Keep in mind that the threads could go to 11 pages or so sometimes because several people could be posting at the same time, but a mod will get it locked and a new one started as soon as possible when they reach 10 pages.
Please don't start the new thread yourself, since we wouldn't want a new one started until the old one is locked.

We realize that we won't please EVERYONE with this, but it seems that the majority agrees with the changes. And even though Doc isn't thrilled, I have to thank him for bringing this up in the first place, which led to the slight changes. :)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:48 pm

In other words for a thread to get the full 10 pages it has to get 199 replies but as Kelly said sometimes some posts are posted at the same time and it can jump to page 11 but I and the rest of the staff will be watching when it gets close to the limit.
0 likes   

Terrell
Category 2
Category 2

#58 Postby Terrell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:34 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Terrell wrote:Sounds good to me.

Good suggestion.There is a search feature here but posting the links of the locked threads I like it and guess what,it will be part of this new rule of threads.I think SouthFloridas idea is similar to yours so links will be part of this but remember there is a search feature. :)

Thank you for accepting my idea.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby O Town » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 pm

All great ideas and I think it will work well. I didn't like the idea of 10 page threads at first but the more I think about it the better it sounds really. And with the links to the most recent past thread at the top of the new thread makes it all the better. :D Also I love looking at all the uploaded pics, graphs, ect. in the threads it makes for providing quick access to valuable info. all in one place, so the thumbnail decision was a great solution. Great job guys.
:clap:
0 likes   

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby sponger » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:20 am

No one likes change but I cant remember the last time I needed to scroll back 30 pages. Just goes to show how solid s2k is. If it gives better access during peak periods (Ie when charley bombed to a cat 4) than I am all for it!
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”