Talking Tropics Forum Format for 2006

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#21 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:16 pm

so when a new topic or reply is posted it is automatically added instead of hitting the refresh/ reload button
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:16 pm

I don't think we'd have a problem with thumbnail images for those that know how to do that.

Just for the record, I was just teasing about the donated servers. We try very hard to spend the money our supporters donate in a responsible manner. For those of you that were here last year you know we do hit some times when the server slows to a crawl. We're trying some things to minimize the length of those periods. We are considering once again this year of going to a dual server arraingement but of course that means the cost of running the site doubles. :eek: We're not afraid of doing that since the S2K membership has always responded to requiests for help but we don't want to do it until we really need to.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#23 Postby senorpepr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:25 pm

Well... for the images, here are my two cents:

People today are more visual. Personally, I know that if I see a small thumbnail that interests me, I'm more likely to click it than a link. Furthermore, a small thumbnail is fairly small in size (a few kilobytes). Therefore, I don't foresee any problems with small thumbnails.

I think the issue comes into play when people post HUGE graphics like the full-size NRL imagery. While they aren't a problem now when the tropics are quiet, if you have a plethera of large NRL images all in one thread, users start pulling out their hair (if applicable). Also, when a page is slow to run (thanks to the aforementioned HUGE graphics), they tend to mash the F5 key (refresh). This puts stress onto the servers.

So, in short, thumbnails rock my socks. HUGE graphics don't. :cheesy:
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby skysummit » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Ok great! In my opinion, http://www.imageshack.us is the best place to setup thumbnails. You can get a plugin that allows you to right click on any image on the web, go to "upload to imageshack", and poof...you have thumbnail. I know it works with Firefox, but I never tried it on IE or Netscape.

By the way, I like the idea of locking threads at 10 pages.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#25 Postby senorpepr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:29 pm

fact789 wrote:so when a new topic or reply is posted it is automatically added instead of hitting the refresh/ reload button

The only way I know how to set that up isn't very nice for the servers. The best thing to do is hit refresh--but not continuously. Each time you hit refresh, that puts stress onto the servers.

...as I always say, hitting refresh is like eating chocolate. It's all great, but only in moderation.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:37 pm

By the way, I like the idea of locking threads at 10 pages.

This new policy about threads has gone into effect from the time the announcement was made today.Those threads that have more than 10 pages now can stay unlocked but from now on once a thread gets to page 10 it will be locked and a new thread with the same title will be made.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby gatorcane » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:49 pm

The staff of administrators and moderators reached a decision about how we will run talking tropics forum.Out of the bat the first announcement is that there will be no more long thread pages at Talking Tropics forum.The longest they will get is to 10 pages and that will be it.What we will do is when a thread gets to page 10 we will lock it and create a new thread with the same name at title,example=Discussion,sat pics,models thread #1,when for sure that one gets to 10 pages we will lock it and then make a new thread of=discussion,sat pics,models thread #2.We do this to not hurt the server with the long threads that will get thousands of hits and also to not make the members lost looking for the information in those very long threads.Also we are going to do this at the advisorie and recon threads as well the recon discussion thread.

Luis, I think this is reasonable. I imagine 10 pages was some arbritrary value chosen and no analysis was done to determine the optimal page size/thread count. At any rate, I do like how we are generally staying with the way things were last year. I do agree the search functionality will be more efficient.

Thanks Cycloneye (Luis) and team for everything you do here :)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#28 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:51 pm

NRL SAT Imagery

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:

The above is the best way to post a pic without having to scroll horizontally the post. :)

Below are the instructions about doing this:

1. Type the word or phrase to be a link.

2. Drag the mouse cursor over it so that it is highlighted.

3. Click on the URL button above the message composition window. This will nest (or surround) the highlighted text with the URL tags. It should look like this: [url]sample text link[/url]

4. Click inside the first [url]tag just before the closing bracket (between the L and ] and enter an equal sign, like this: [url=]sample text link[/url]

5. After the equal sign (and before the closing bracket), type in or paste the internet address to link to, being careful to avoid spaces.

That's it!

The end result in the message box should look like this:

sample text link

which results in this in the post body:

sample text link

If you'd rather link an image instead of text, it works the same way. To make an image link, simply follow the same steps, highlighting the image code instead of typed text. So this:

Will result in this: :)
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby SouthFloridawx » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Is something like this acceptable, cause it's just as easy as uploading and image at imageshack? Also for people on dial up it show dimensions and size of the file.

0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby skysummit » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Yes, they said thumbnails wouldn't be a problem. Plus, if you use Image Shack, the thumbnail will show the image properties like above to warn dialuppers.

What I'm going to enjoy most about these rules is the non posting of loops or animated images. I don't mind them if I'm at home on my cable internet, but if I'm in my truck (like I mostly am) it's a bit slow on the wireless internet.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#31 Postby Jim Cantore » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Linking images is a much better idea, that will save alot of time for dial up users and a ton of bandwidth

and it is very frustrating to have to flip through a 50 page thread looking for one post
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#32 Postby Jim Cantore » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:53 pm

If you'd like to donate a couple of new servers we'd be glad to take them

http://www.ebay.com/
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#33 Postby MiamiensisWx » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:21 pm

Great! NOW everything sounds great!
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby dixiebreeze » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:53 pm

I like the new rules -- very sensible.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby wxmann_91 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks mods and admins!! I like the new rules.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby Stephanie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:20 am

senorpepr wrote:
fact789 wrote:so when a new topic or reply is posted it is automatically added instead of hitting the refresh/ reload button

The only way I know how to set that up isn't very nice for the servers. The best thing to do is hit refresh--but not continuously. Each time you hit refresh, that puts stress onto the servers.

...as I always say, hitting refresh is like eating chocolate. It's all great, but only in moderation.

It'll refresh as soon as you go into a new topic/forum. I'm usually going through different forums where it really isn't an issue for me.
0 likes   

HurricaneHunter914
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby HurricaneHunter914 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:51 am

I like the having the links rule, now my computer won't have problems uploading. But I have to agree if we limit it to 10 pages when a Cat-5 forms we'll have over 30 threads about the same thing.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby skysummit » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:53 am

How about when the threads get to 10 pages, and new one is formed, the first one is still left to be a sticky? That way it won't get lost in threadland.
0 likes   

Dustin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#39 Postby Dustin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 am

Yes, it will be more helpful. This is a good idea, as the threads got way to long last summer! Cheers to talkin tropics! Sorry marshall I cant afford to send ya any servers! :cheesy:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#40 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:28 pm

skysummit wrote:How about when the threads get to 10 pages, and new one is formed, the first one is still left to be a sticky? That way it won't get lost in threadland.

Imagine if we have a system like Katrina which last year thread was with 228 pages.We would then have many stickies that there will not be room for other threads.But to avoid that I can bump the locked threads so no problem. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”