Mods can we put the forecast disclaimer back in tropics

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

boca
Category 5
Category 5

Mods can we put the forecast disclaimer back in tropics

#1 Postby boca » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:31 pm

I don't want to toogle back and forth to board rules to copy forecast disclaimer please put it back in talking tropics.

Quote:
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Last edited by boca on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Well, you beat me by mere seconds. :)

I'll sticky this for everyone's use and ease of retrieval.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby boca » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 pm

Thankyou GalvestonDuck much appreciated.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby gatorcane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Hey I thought we have all become super forecasters here at storm2k by now! :lol: Thanks Boca, as the season gets underway, there will be alot of us forecasting where these monsters will go that need this dislaimer.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Why? I would think everyone would understand that this is not offical any way.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#6 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:45 pm

maybe not those who are unfamiliar with message boards and find this via a google search
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby O Town » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:Why? I would think everyone would understand that this is not offical any way.

For the new people here and also for older members without a lick of common sense. :lol: oppps. 8-)
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:36 pm

People should just copy the text into a doc file, save it, and thus they'll have it whenever needed. :bday:
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby SouthFloridawx » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:10 pm

This disclaimer was posted as a sticky last year. There are going to be new members as the season goes on so it should probably remain at the top as a sticky for them to see.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#10 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:Why? I would think everyone would understand that this is not offical any way.

Simply put? LEGAL ISSUES. Believe it or not, even though I would imagine, as you say, we all know this is not official, there are some that could stumble onto this site and use information posted here for life altering decisions. We do not claim to be anywhere near official even though we have a lot of VERY GOOD METS, PROFESSIONAL AND AMATUER. I don't think anyone who posts here would like to be responsible for someone taking "bad" information and making decisions with it that hurt them. Thus the need for a disclaimer to protect S2K.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#11 Postby Jim Cantore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:39 pm

People believe me, using this disclaimer is much easier then reading a bunch of legal dribble.
0 likes   

Noah
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Noah » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 am

vbhoutex wrote:

Simply put? LEGAL ISSUES. Believe it or not, even though I would imagine, as you say, we all know this is not official, there are some that could stumble onto this site and use information posted here for life altering decisions. We do not claim to be anywhere near official even though we have a lot of VERY GOOD METS, PROFESSIONAL AND AMATUER. I don't think anyone who posts here would like to be responsible for someone taking "bad" information and making decisions with it that hurt them. Thus the need for a disclaimer to protect S2K.

Ditto that, very well said.

I know when i first came here, I was twisted back and forth reading the forcasts that were not official and I did not know at the time, I was just looking for more information and was reading everything and was panicked. So it is for the newbie for sure.
0 likes   

Jam151
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby Jam151 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:02 pm

Seriously, why can't a disclaimer be placed above every thread so that members won't have to input one in every forecast they make?
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby chadtm80 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:11 pm

Jam151 wrote:Seriously, why can't a disclaimer be placed above every thread so that members won't have to input one in every forecast they make?

Not really possible with the phpbb software that we use.. Also if someone is going to post a forecast that is NOT official then one should be able to add he disclamer. Its self responsability and we should all do it
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby bvigal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:33 am

Would it make it easier for folks if it were inserted as a tiny pic that already resides on the server? i.e. (10k):

And, would people be more likely to remember to use it if it were on the 'short list' of emoticons?

Then one would only need to click the emoticon to insert it.

This is just an sample to give an idea. The thumbnail could be much smaller, the layout of text could be wider, etc.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby SouthFloridawx » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:26 am

That is a great idea bvigal.
0 likes   

Seele
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby Seele » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:38 am

Not that I really care, but why isn't that posted on the main page, or maybe part of the page banner, or something that's standard on every page. That should cover any potential legal issues if that's the concern. This is a primarily amatuer weather board and pro's are easily identifiable. Truth is, if someone would take the word of anyone here over offical sources, they are probably looking for the information they want to see and no amount of disclaimers are going to make them reconsider.
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#18 Postby MiamiensisWx » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:15 am

Gloria (bvigal), that is an excellent idea. Can that be done?
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:38 am

Ok everyone I will try to work on some things for simplifying it for everyone. But if you are going to make a NON OFFICIAL forecast you should not be counting on us informing everyone that it is not official. It is self responsibility.. I know I would not want to be responsible for someone reading an amateur forecast I make, following it and then something bad happening to them.. Would you? I certainly would not think so. A simple copy and paste to protect your self, storm2k.org, and most importantly the lives of all our members and visitors should not be a hassle in the least bit. All that was asked was a simple two clicks basically of the mouse to avoid all problems. I will however as I said try to again simplify the process for everyone again. Stay Tuned
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:42 am

Jam151 wrote:Seriously, why can't a disclaimer be placed above every thread so that members won't have to input one in every forecast they make?

Seriously, why can't members be responsable for Placing there own disclaimer? To much work to cut and paste something that we have already provided for everyone, but not to much work to come up with the actuall forecast?
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”