Post Counts a thing of the past at storm2k

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

#21 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:08 am

bvigal wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

As to the "ranks" displayed under every name... instead of "tropical wave" or "Cat 2", I think under every name should say "S2K Supporter"!!! :wink:

Seriously, everyone can afford to donate, even $10 would help a lot. I'd spend that much in one trip to the movies.

Very good point. I need to do that and I will. I wish we could just send a check in. I don't care for online payment services. A PO Box would be nice! I don't need anyone's actual home address.....

About this topic and decision - I just want to say it's a darn good thing Tom doesn't belong to S2K anymore. I think this would just about give him a heart attack!

Mary
0 likes   

Janice
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Janice » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am

I am sure you can send a check in. Just pm Chad or another admn.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:15 am

Mary if you are interested in an Address feel free to PM me
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#24 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:53 am

now the rankings, say I'm category 3, does it stay that way or will it change when I unknowingly reach 7500 for example?
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:57 am

For now the ranks still go by your posts.. So yes they will change, but not positive that we are going to stay with that format
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:27 pm

I just found this out before reading this topic. I noticed our post counts were gone when I was posting. I don't think this was a good idea for a few reasons. I also don't know how it's possible either that you did that (I know a modification did it).

1st Reason: Now I can't have my fun :cry: :x
2nd Reason: It shows a great deal of information to other users (in different ways)
3rd Reason: It bothers me a quite a bit
4th Reason: You can't see how far you have come during the months and years at Storm2K forums
5th Reason: Many people will be very angry and upset (like the admin said) and new members may not enjoy this either

Now I know you must have used a mod for phpBB to do this but we can still know everyone's post count since we can look back at our old posts. I'm thinking you just got rid of the display and that's all. It doesn't fit with everything you know what I mean?

Overall, this is very sad and annoying for me. I'm sure I can still tell what my post count is by some other means...
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Just a suggestion... and REALLY that's all it is... but instead of being based on "Post count"... either the Mods, or the users could nominate a list of users to have their status "elevated" to the next category up... weighted votes could go to the Mods as there'd clearly be less bias and a penchant for "stuffing the box".. and perhaps as many as 3-5 or more could have their categories "upped" each month.... and on the lighter side... perhaps a good "slap on the wrist" could wind up in a drop in category!.... At least then the number of posts would truly become irrelevant.

Just a suggestion from a teacher with a lot of time on his hands right now! :wink:

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

Cyclenall wrote:I just found this out before reading this topic. I noticed our post counts were gone when I was posting. I don't think this was a good idea for a few reasons. I also don't know how it's possible either that you did that (I know a modification did it).

2nd Reason: It shows a great deal of information to other users (in different ways)
4th Reason: You can't see how far you have come during the months and years at Storm2K forums
5th Reason: Many people will be very angry and upset (like the admin said) and new members may not enjoy this either

Now I know you must have used a mod for phpBB to do this but we can still know everyone's post count since we can look back at our old posts. I'm thinking you just got rid of the display and that's all. It doesn't fit with everything you know what I mean?

Overall, this is very sad and annoying for me. I'm sure I can still tell what my post count is by some other means...

I'm sure you've touched on a LOT of the reasons FOR this decision, Cyclenall. Wayyy too many individuals were downright obsessive-compulsive about post counts, and were making some of the lamest posts imaginable just to up their post count (this is not aimed at you--just a rationale for the decision)... When our be-all and end-all is worrying about our post count--when we get "stressed out" worrying about our post count; .. something is very definitely wrong. The whole idea is to get quality posts... not a lot of :eek: :eek: :eek: and that's it! Posts.

Now I play in the games forum, so I certainly won't be one to cast stones; but in all honesty it's because I live alone right now, and with summer upon me, I have a lot of time on my hand and it alleviates that boredom. I think Kelly mentioned something about enjoying that as well. I never bothered to look at post counts... didn't matter. In fact I introduced a few newer games myself that were a lot more than simple... post a one-liner and move on, type of games--this wasn't done to diminish those that like the fast-paced games; more power to 'em.. I just enjoy a more cerebral form of task (Yeah... probably because of the "age" factor).. Those who become "angry" simply because their posts don't show, and decide to leave... well the old addage "Set something free, if it returns to you, it was yours, if it doesn't, it never was to begin with..." comes to mind... Yeah I know.. more cerebral mumbo jumbo; but the essence is that now people are "free" to post more important things... get involved in the games, enjoy them... but don't sit there all day pumping out posts solely for the purpose of driving up your badge count. I find that.... well, I won't say because I certainly don't want to hurt any feelings--suffice it to say, counterproductive.

I doubt you got all that; but maybe you're precocious enough to have. I sincerely hope so; as the aim here is to get good quality posts that are both informative, and entertaining... not just one trite list of one-liners after another.

OH, and I certainly make NO claim to be speaking for Admin or Mods in that little epistle... strictly my own opinion on it!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Jim Cantore

#29 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Maybe where it says category 3 exc, change it to let members put something custom there. I've seen that around the net.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:56 pm

Hurricane Floyd wrote:Maybe where it says category 3 exc, change it to let members put something custom there. I've seen that around the net.

That sounds like more-or-less another avatar. Frankly, I like the Category rankings... I just don't feel the sole criteria should be how many posts an individual can pump out... this would discourage that.

A2K
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#31 Postby southerngale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
Cyclenall wrote:I just found this out before reading this topic. I noticed our post counts were gone when I was posting. I don't think this was a good idea for a few reasons. I also don't know how it's possible either that you did that (I know a modification did it).

I'm sure you've touched on a LOT of the reasons FOR this decision, Cyclenall. Wayyy too many individuals were downright obsessive-compulsive about post counts, and were making some of the lamest posts imaginable just to up their post count (this is not aimed at you--just a rationale for the decision)... When our be-all and end-all is worrying about our post count--when we get "stressed out" worrying about our post count; .. something is very definitely wrong. The whole idea is to get quality posts... not a lot of :eek: :eek: :eek: and that's it! Posts.

Now I play in the games forum, so I certainly won't be one to cast stones; but in all honesty it's because I live alone right now, and with summer upon me, I have a lot of time on my hand and it alleviates that boredom. I think Kelly mentioned something about enjoying that as well. I never bothered to look at post counts... didn't matter. In fact I introduced a few newer games myself that were a lot more than simple... post a one-liner and move on, type of games--this wasn't done to diminish those that like the fast-paced games; more power to 'em.. I just enjoy a more cerebral form of task (Yeah... probably because of the "age" factor).. Those who become "angry" simply because their posts don't show, and decide to leave... well the old addage "Set something free, if it returns to you, it was yours, if it doesn't, it never was to begin with..." comes to mind... Yeah I know.. more cerebral mumbo jumbo; but the essence is that now people are "free" to post more important things... get involved in the games, enjoy them... but don't sit there all day pumping out posts solely for the purpose of driving up your badge count. I find that.... well, I won't say because I certainly don't want to hurt any feelings--suffice it to say, counterproductive.

I doubt you got all that; but maybe you're precocious enough to have. I sincerely hope so; as the aim here is to get good quality posts that are both informative, and entertaining... not just one trite list of one-liners after another.

OH, and I certainly make NO claim to be speaking for Admin or Mods in that little epistle... strictly my own opinion on it!

A2K

You did pretty good though! lol

I was going to reply to him, but I think you said it well. Not only do I not understand why anyone wants a higher post count just to have one, but posting just to up your post count also hurts the board in critical times, like when there's hundreds of people on here trying to obtain information about a threatening hurricane. Sometimes, all you need to do is READ to get what you need out of Storm2k.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby sunny » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 pm

southerngale wrote:Not only do I not understand why anyone wants a higher post count just to have one, but posting just to up your post count also hurts the board in critical times, like when there's hundreds of people on here trying to obtain information about a threatening hurricane. Sometimes, all you need to do is READ to get what you need out of Storm2k.

Amen Kelly!!! Even I keep my mouth shut at times like that (no comments from the peanut gallery please :lol: ) because I don't have the knowledge to participate in some discussions.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:20 pm

I'm sure you've touched on a LOT of the reasons FOR this decision, Cyclenall. Wayyy too many individuals were downright obsessive-compulsive about post counts, and were making some of the lamest posts imaginable just to up their post count (this is not aimed at you--just a rationale for the decision)... When our be-all and end-all is worrying about our post count--when we get "stressed out" worrying about our post count; .. something is very definitely wrong. The whole idea is to get quality posts... not a lot of and that's it! Posts.

It's not about that! Why this is only for certain users of the forum not everyone. I don't think it's a major problem right now. There will be lame posts no matter what, and could even stray away people who do love post counts (or obsessive).

doubt you got all that; but maybe you're precocious enough to have. I sincerely hope so; as the aim here is to get good quality posts that are both informative, and entertaining... not just one trite list of one-liners after another.

I got all of it, just barely got it all. I just think we can deal with these problems a different way other then getting rid of the post count. I'm on some different forums and I can see how they deal with these problems stated in a different way. Also, there are forums I have seen where there is a area where you can "up" your post count on purpose. It's funny to that.

was going to reply to him, but I think you said it well. Not only do I not understand why anyone wants a higher post count just to have one, but posting just to up your post count also hurts the board in critical times, like when there's hundreds of people on here trying to obtain information about a threatening hurricane. Sometimes, all you need to do is READ to get what you need out of Storm2k.

Remember it's not all about wanting a higher post count. I don't care about that, but for the reasons I listed. BTW, I can still find out who has the most posts on the forum and the 2nd most and the 3rd most and....it goes on from there all the way.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#34 Postby CajunMama » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Goodness, there's so much more to life that internet mb postcounts. The admins and staff have discussed this and this is how it is going to be.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:28 pm

could even stray away people who do love post counts (or obsessive).

This is a bad thing?
BTW, I can still find out who has the most posts on the forum and the 2nd most and the 3rd most and....it goes on from there all the way.

Just curious... is this tantamount to a N'yah N'yah, I can still do it? Because if it is, then go for it. If you can still find the post counts on the forum, then there should be no problem whatever--everyone is happy! :D

A2K
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:30 pm

Goodness, there's so much more to life that internet mb postcounts.

Indeed, if that's all a person wants to see, then S2K is NOT the place they want to be in the first place... this is about WEATHER and that's as it should be.

A2K
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#37 Postby southerngale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
I'm sure you've touched on a LOT of the reasons FOR this decision, Cyclenall. Wayyy too many individuals were
downright obsessive-compulsive about post counts, and were making some of the lamest posts imaginable just to up their post count (this is not aimed at you--just a rationale for the decision)... When our be-all and end-all is worrying about our post count--when we get "stressed out" worrying about our post count; .. something is very definitely wrong. The whole idea is to get quality posts... not a lot of and that's it! Posts.

It's not about that! Why this is only for certain users of the forum not everyone. I don't think it's a major problem right now. There will be lame posts no matter what, and could even stray away people who do love post counts (or obsessive).

This is for everyone, not only for certain users. Of course there will still be lame posts, but it SHOULD stop the rampant, meaningless posting just to up your post count. If people stray away because they're obsessed with their post count and now they can't up it, well honestly, we won't be losing much.

Cyclenall wrote:
doubt you got all that; but maybe you're precocious enough to have. I sincerely hope so; as the aim here is to get good quality posts that are both informative, and entertaining... not just one trite list of one-liners after another.

I got all of it, just barely got it all. I just think we can deal with these problems a different way other then getting rid of the post count. I'm on some different forums and I can see how they deal with these problems stated in a different way. Also, there are forums I have seen where there is a area where you can "up" your post count on purpose. It's funny to that.

We've tried other ways. Here's one of many attempts. That's fine that's there's other forums where you can up your post count on purpose. This isn't one of them. Did you read how it hurts the board in critical times in my last post?

Cyclenall wrote:
was going to reply to him, but I think you said it well. Not only do I not understand why anyone wants a higher post count just to have one, but posting just to up your post count also hurts the board in critical times, like when there's hundreds of people on here trying to obtain information about a threatening hurricane. Sometimes, all you need to do is READ to get what you need out of Storm2k.

Remember it's not all about wanting a higher post count. I don't care about that, but for the reasons I listed. BTW, I can still find out who has the most posts on the forum and the 2nd most and the 3rd most and....it goes on from there all the way.

It does sound like you want a higher post count in the 5 reasons you listed above. Now you can't have your fun? You can still play games if that's what you enjoy. Why do you care who has the most posts, etc? See, I guess I'll just never understand that.

One thing I know...you're taking this way too serious.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Aquawind » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:48 pm

People need to concentrate on the Text they are reading and the reply they are typing and that's it.. no preconceived notions about people need to be drawn from a post count number.. The number of posts someone else has made should have no consideration when posting..none.
0 likes   

Rainband

#39 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm

Quality over quantity. Like kelly said we tried to get this across before. This issue was discussed in length by the staff. It was unanimous :wink:
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:05 pm

I couldnt agree more, alot of the time I see a bunch of one-liners and smileys, and that really doesnt add to the discussion unless there is substance behind it
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”