ALL members are responsible for following these Rules and Guidelines.
Questions are to be directed to Staff via PM or email.
1. Rights and responsibilities. The Storm2k.org forum is privately owned, and access is a privilege, not a right. We are a family oriented site and our rules were drawn up accordingly. Users must adhere to the rules of our forum and abide by our standards of proper conduct.
2. Conduct. Storm2k is a FLAME free site. We do not allow personal attacks and/or personal insults. No obscenities, vulgarity, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-oriented posts allowed. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated and is defined as "A course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose" or "words, gestures, and actions which tend to annoy, alarm and abuse (verbally) another person." PM's are subject to the same contact as the open board. Non-compliance of the rules will be met with restrictions on your account including suspension or a permanent ban. Show some RESPECT and think before you post. Please read the links below to better understand this issue as it is very important to Storm2K.org.
Personal attacks made against staff members will result in an immediate suspension and/or a ban.
3. Advertising/Links. Storm2k does not allow "out right" advertising of other sites without prior approval from the Admin staff. We do not allow links to other forums or anything that contains pornography of any sort. Personal websites are fine, but must be approved prior to posting. If your website has a message board it will not be allowed.
4. Politics. Political debate and discussion of politics is not allowed on storm2k. We used to have an open forum here for political talk, but it took too much staff time to moderate. We are not allowing political posts of any kind in any of our forums. If you have any questions, comments, etc., please feel free to pm any staff member. In our Management announcements forum we have started a thread with some options of where you can talk political if you feel the urge. Thread can be located here..
5. Inactive accounts. Storm2k does from time to time delete accounts that haven't been activated. This is done to keep our user base at a manageable size and to give a true reading of the community size.
6. Topics/Forums. Topics posted must be in the realm of the forum that they are posted in. We will move threads that are not posted in the appropriate forum.
7. Third-party content. In an effort to prevent plagiarism, we require that any statistics, quotes, news articles, forecasts, and the like obtained from a third party to be posted on storm2k.org must be in the form of a brief quote that cites the original source and/or includes comments by the poster other than the quotation. If you are unsure then just post the link.
ALL POSTS containing copied and pasted material must contain the source.
A. Every Post is to contain a citation of the source.
B. Your interpretation, reaction, or some comment that ADDS VALUE to the pasted information. We are not interested in long copy and paste threads alone.
8. Content disclaimer. Content posted in the Storm2k forums does not necessarily reflect the views of storm2k.org but rather are the views of each individual poster making the posts. Storm2k.org will attempt to remove any objectionable material as quickly as possible but are not responsible for any contact that may be offensive to you. If you see a violation please let us know right away.
9. Polls may be posted without Staff (mod or admin) approval, but the abuse of polls is not tolerated. Use common sense when posting a poll and ensure that a poll is the best venue for your question before posting. Excessive or inappropriate polls will be removed
10. Intentional posting of false information is not permitted at all. We know people do like to joke around but we have to many people visiting this forum other than the regulars to permit this activity. If you are going to joke about something or copy information from another location you must clearly say so in words. We take this as a very serious offense and the penalties will be very serious as well.
11. If you have a question, issue or grievance related to the board itself or another member and it is not already answered in the Help forum you are to send a staff member a PM prior to posting it on the forums. Do not think posting it in the public forum for everyone to see will result in anything in your favor and could result in suspension. If you are sent a Warning from a staff member you must respond to that PM or the staff will assume you are ignoring the Warning and a suspension will result.
12. Storm2K.org does not allow personal attacks and/or personal insults of any kind directed to The National Hurricane Center, it’s staff or any other professional weather organization for that matter. While one may disagree it is very important we keep respecting the weather professionals and their opinions. We are expecting all members to act respectfully at all times.
13. Repeated warnings alone could result in suspension or permanent banning from Storm2K.org. If your account is suspended for any reason do not attempt to reregister under another nickname. If one does so it will be grounds for a permanent ban.
14 Trolling: A troll is often someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls. Often, trolls assume multiple aliases. For many people, the characterising feature of trolling is the perception of intent to disrupt a community in some way. Inflammatory, sarcastic, disruptive or humorous content is posted, meant to draw other users into engaging the troll in a fruitless confrontation. The greater the reaction from the community the more likely the user is to troll again, as the person develops beliefs that certain actions achieve his/her goal to cause chaos. This gives rise to the often repeated protocol in Internet culture: "Do not feed the trolls."
Our Talkin' Tropics and Active Storms forums are our busiest forums here at Storm2k, so we will spend some extra time here going over things specifically for that forum.
Storm2k.org policy on posting amateur forecasts.. If you post a forecast in any forum it MUST be preceded by the following..or be placed in your signature. Either is allowed, however, at times to alleviate load on the server during very busy times, we may have to turn off signatures. If you have the disclaimer in your signature and we turn off signatures you will still be required to use the disclaimer if you post a forecast.
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
If a forecast is made without using the disclaimer we will add it for you and send a reminder PM.. If it is "forgotten" repeatedly your posts will be removed, and your account could face a suspension or a ban. This is for the safety of everyone. Please abide by it.
On our forum index you will see a forum titled Tropical Analysis. This forum is for our Pro mets here at storm2k. Only approved forecasters are able to start new threads in that forum (To request those rights please contact vbhoutex) Any member may respond to posts in that forum you just will not be able to start any new threads of your own unless an approved poster.
DO NOT USE OFFICIAL MAPS
The use of official maps such as those produced by NOAA or similar agencies by individual members for use in posting forecasts is not allowed at STORM2K even with a disclaimer attached. Any one who continues this practice will be subject to suspension of posting privileges. If you have any questions concerning this feel free to contact a staff member. If you wish to use a map for forecasting purposes please use those provided here - viewtopic.php?t=76684
The Talkin Tropics forum (as do all other forums here at storm2k) have a 25 page limit. This means that once a thread reaches 25 pages it will be locked and a new thread will be started on the same topic and titled "***** thread 2" We do this to save strain on our server during busy times. The way our forum software works is when a members opens a page (even if it is just the last page in a long thread) the database must still run every page. So essentially every time you open one page it is actually opening every single one in that thread on the server side adding tons of extra un needed stress on the server and we do not want to lose it in a time of need.
This forum moves very fast when a system is out there and it is very important that you read over the first page of Threads to make sure the subject is not already in discussion. We would like to keep things organized with the least amount of duplication as possible. This goes for when you’re posting in the thread as well. Read at least a page or 2 back and avoid pasting the same exact information if it has already been posted. Quality over Quantity is the idea here..
Storm2K has decided not to have an "official" thread for all Atlantic waves,GFS, etc... Although some may like it this way, many members don't want to read an entire thread about all waves and would prefer to see a thread title that captures their attention about a particular wave. Also, we'd really like to get away from everyone thinking they have to post in this "official" thread, etc. Everyone doesn't read every post in every thread, so let's not jump on people who happen to repeat something that someone else already said. Obvious duplicate threads may still be locked though and blantant repeated abuse of this will not be accepted.
Thank You for your cooperation. We have well over 9,000 members with a very diverse group in more than just weather knowledge. We want everyone amateur and professionals alike to post on this board without fearing a response. Nobody is making money on this site as we are all volunteers. Combine that with the fact that we don't have popups and banner ads to load on every page and you get the best interactive Weather site on the WWW. We intend on keeping it that way.