REMEMBER!! This is a forum, NOT a chat room!! Must Read!

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

REMEMBER!! This is a forum, NOT a chat room!! Must Read!

#1 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 pm

The moderators have been trying to tell you all day that this is a forum and not a chat room. By all means if you have something to discuss, then discuss it.. But dont just post for the sake of posting. No need to post. "I agree" or "lets see" or "yes" "no" The board is just getting to busy to have all these kind of posts cluttering things up and slowing the board down. None of us wants the server to over load, so please lets keep the "chat room" talk in the chatroom :rarrow: http://www.stormdancing.net/network/jav ... torm2k.htm

The nonsense posts will be removed and if we have to continue to delete a certain members posts the staff will have no choice but to suspend accounts. Its not because we want to restrict posting, We just cant have the site going down and people not being able to get the information to keep them safe all becuase of nonsense posts.

Thanks
Chad
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Swimdude » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Yikes... Watching for server overloads with a TD! I'll keep my browsing to just that today. Best of luck guys.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Remember this is a forum not a chat room.

#3 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:40 pm

chadtm80 wrote:The moderators have been trying to tell you all day that this is a forum and not a chat room. By all means if you have something to discuss, then discuss it.. But dont just post for the sake of posting. No need to post. "I agree" or "lets see" or "yes" "no" The board is just getting to busy to have all these kind of posts cluttering things up and slowing the board down. None of us wants the server to over load, so please lets keep the "chat room" talk in the chatroom :rarrow: http://www.stormdancing.net/network/jav ... torm2k.htm

The nonsense posts will be removed and if we have to continue to delete a certain members posts the staff will have no choice but to suspend accounts. Its not because we want to restrict posting, We just cant have the site going down and people not being able to get the information to keep them safe all becuase of nonsense posts.

Thanks
Chad

whats the policy on sat posting..i am noticing alot of images and not links, is that allowed?

thx
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Re: Remember this is a forum not a chat room.

#4 Postby senorpepr » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:42 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
chadtm80 wrote:The moderators have been trying to tell you all day that this is a forum and not a chat room. By all means if you have something to discuss, then discuss it.. But dont just post for the sake of posting. No need to post. "I agree" or "lets see" or "yes" "no" The board is just getting to busy to have all these kind of posts cluttering things up and slowing the board down. None of us wants the server to over load, so please lets keep the "chat room" talk in the chatroom :rarrow: http://www.stormdancing.net/network/jav ... torm2k.htm

Thanks
Chad

whats the policy on sat posting..i am noticing alot of images and not links, is that allowed?

thx

While links are preferred, weather is a visual "sport." The rule we use is... use them sparingly, but ENSURE that they aren't large (they don't cause horizontal scrolling).
0 likes   

Senobia
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Senobia » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:52 pm

Thanks for this - although nobody is paying attention to it. As a very new person here, I'm having a hard time getting around.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#6 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm

If I have to scroll from side to side. I link the image. Those images take a TON of bandwith.
0 likes   

TexasSam
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby TexasSam » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:51 pm

Let's see if this helps...

Storm2K does have a live chat room, see the link at the top of the screen under the Storm2k banner. Or you can use this link:

http://www.stormdancing.net/network/java/storm2k/storm2k.htm

You can also use the MIRC chat program, and /connect to irc.stormdancing.net
the chat room is /join Storm2K

Remember to put in a nickname /nick yourname
PLEASE don't use a guest name.

You can download and install the MIRC program from:

http://www.mirc.com
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Recurve » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:02 pm

Thank you for the vigilance. It's hard not to violate the policy by just saying "Yes!" here. So I'll try to add to the discussion:

Don't be shy about hitting the PM button, anytime you just want to say "Woohoo!" or "You go girl" or "It's getting stuffy in here." That's when it's good to send a private message to whoever you want to high-five. The tiny chat posts are most annoying in the main storm discussions.

Maybe more of us should leave Talkin Tropics occasionally and visit some off-topic threads. Although personally you'd have to drag me out of TT when somthing's brewing.

Is there a way to make one page longer -- increase the number of messages or lines that count as one page? I'd read through more messages without scroll fatigue if I didn't have to change pages so often. I realize that might be hard-coded in the software.

((If you don't want this discussion here, please remove this one ^))
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby HurricaneQueen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 pm

Thank you, Chad ( and other Admins and Mods)

This has been such a problem that I find myself coming here less and less. This has always been my favorite site but the last two seasons, the younger set has taken over the place and makes it very difficult to get good, timely information.

I'm all for the learning experience that can be found here but there needs to be more reading and less posting for postings sake. (it's a shame we don't have an ignore function here.) The Pro Mets have been very patient and have spent so much time trying to teach the fundamentals of the tropics and for that I thank them. Now.... if their audience could just listen and try to comprehend and not question the veracity of what they have just been told. I have been appalled at the rudeness shown to the Pros (and other members)

Thanks for staying on top of it.

Lynn
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

southerngale
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#10 Postby southerngale » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 pm

This can be found in the Management Announcements forum, but I think it should be posted here too, and required reading for all. Perhaps we could send out a notice, have you sign it, and return it saying you've read it. ;)

Seriously...PLEASE take a few minutes to read this, and then respect our wishes. We want to keep Storm2k up and running, and keep it a great place for everyone to learn and get information.

Ok folks, the season is here and it's time to tighten up these tropical threads. This is a message board, not a chatroom. We do have a chatroom available 24/7 for anyone interested in conversational weather chat.

The Talkin' Tropics forum is a place for sharing, discussing, and learning. Unfortunately, well thought out, informative posts can be completely buried in mere minutes beneath a mountain of posts with really no useful substance at all. Questions and comments are welcomed...that's what we're here for. This isn't a professionals only board, but in the interest of time and space, it is not necessary to post every single thought that pops in your head. That's chatroom style. Storm2k has become an important weather information source for many people. If you're at work, and you only have a few minutes to grab the latest tropical information, how frustrating it must be to plow through page after page of "I agree" "time to lock this thread" "that sounds possible" and "I already said that in another thread," etc.

"I agree" - Unless you have a weighty meteorological reputation, whether or not you agree is irrelevant to most people reading the post. What if everyone replied just to say "I agree" or "I disagree" - it would need its own forum.

"Time to lock this thread" - Please continue posting on topic until the thread is locked. How silly and wasteful to post a countdown until it's locked. It wastes valuable time and space.

"That sounds possible" - Almost anything is possible. Possibilites are limitless and universally accepted as such so it's not necessary to reply just to point this out.

"I already said/saw that in another thread" - Believe it or not, some people do not read every single post on every single page in every single thread. That comment is really just rude. This isn't a game of one-upmanship. Nobody is trying to steal your thunder. Maybe they didn't read your post and they made a similar comment. It's probably not intentional and you don't need to waste a post pointing it out.

Here's another tip: it's not always necessary to quote someone's entire post or graphic just to comment on it. Obviously, sometimes it is, but use good judgement. Most of the time it's just a space muncher.

I think you get the idea. I hope that helps anyway. Obviously, I can't address every possible scenario, but please take a moment or two before you submit your post and ask yourself if it's relevant. Remember: quality over quantity. Storm2k is a fun place to be and we want to keep it that way. When the weather turns more serious though, naturally the forum will too. But for the most part, Storm2k is a fun, informative community for weather enthusiasts. Now that the tropics are heating up, I think it's important to keep the Talkin' Tropics forum just that....talkin' tropics. :)

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=85432
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby bvigal » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:03 am

southerngale, thanks for posting that again. As you know, I quote it often. It's the best piece of writing!!!

This morning the # of viewers isn't far from the record set on August 28 last year. I just don't think it's possible to combine critical, factual, and knowledgable observations about a specific storm with hundreds of constantly-changing statements "I think it will go here" and questions "where will it go?" It's like having a free-form opinion poll going on right in the middle of the official storm thread. These ongoing, mostly un-supported speculations about future track account for 60% of the volume and another 20% are chat-type responses to previous responses, etc.

I honestly think each storm deserves it's own "Future track speculation discussion" thread. That would help people genuinely looking for the latest storm information in the "Analysis,Sat Pics,Models" thread. It would also prevent the frustration that is now causing people to get on and post "I've been away. Tell me what is happening!" or "Someone please give me a link to ___."

An analysis is more than "I think it will move further north", or "Remember in 200x, storm __ did this and so this storm will, too", and should also carry a disclaimer. Those true analysis by our more knowledgeable members and promets should, or course, remain in "Analysis,Sat Pics,Models" thread.

I know how easy it is to voice an opinion, I've caught myself doing it, too!!! But for the good of the board, and the safety and sanity of the users, we really need to separate out the 'future track popularity poll.'
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby fci » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 am

bvigal:

I respect your thoughts and wishes for the board but I feel like it would be sanitized and compartmentalized to the point of being quite boring.

Everywhere a disclaimer, separate threads for this and that....

Read something here, exit thread, go to a different thread to post a thought, close it, come back to original thread....... seems like an arduous task to me and makes this really boring and way too sanitized

I just think if people put a little more thought into what they are posting and skip the one word posts or "emoticon" only posts; this board will flow just fine.

Just my $.02
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby bvigal » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 am

fci wrote:I just think if people put a little more thought into what they are posting and skip the one word posts or "emoticon" only posts; this board will flow just fine...
fci, I agree with that thought, 100%!! But it isn't happening, and my suggestions are the only way I can think to actually be able to USE the storm thread, when it really matters. Because, you know what, when a hurricane's bearing down on me, I really don't give a flying leap to wade through 300 amateur opinions on where they "think" it will go, if this and if that, just to try and find the last GFDL text posted! This morning I couldn't hardly LOAD the site, it timed out once, and we don't even have a named system... :(
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby fci » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am

Really can't argue with your sentiments at all.

When there are 600-700 on the board at once, which WILL happen this season; the nonsense needs to go away and we need to be able to go to a place that has the Pro Mets thoughts and the replies should only be to get better understanding of what they are saying or to point out things that may be appearing on satellites, models, discusssion etc.. and NOT to banter back and forth about what So and So THINKS mght happen.

Agree with you basically but hope we don't get so fragmented so as to make navigation a royal pain in the .......

Good luck to you down there with avoiding any major "problems".
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby bvigal » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:32 pm

fci-TNX, and you in soflo, be safe this season, too!! ... I'm fine... Had two glasses of Cavit Pino Grigot and listening to AB's Whipping Post, cranked! TGIF!! Have a great weekend!!!!!
0 likes   

Hyperstorm
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Hyperstorm » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Excellent idea, bvigal!

I also think that it is very tedious to read through the official thread and not find anything but chit-chat, one-liners, and unfounded information about the future track of a storm. I've noticed that most of the posts seem to be about that...future track. While everyone wants to know where a storm is going, the only thing certain is that NOBODY knows for sure. Yet, we still see people who think they know it all and start speculating about it with a certainty. This is followed by unnecessary and sometimes disrespectul comments.

I'm the kind of person who likes to discuss and analyze current observations, satellite images, etc... and when I see all these posts that do not add to the discussion, I refrain from posting. With the way this board is working now, you post something and it quickly goes to the fourth page, buried by all those one-liners and unfounded opinions.

I'm all for free speech, but we need to put these types of speculative posts in a specific thread and leave the official thread only for analysis and founded opinions. This will work in favor of members when they want to look up or even share important current analysis. Also, this could very well cause more members to post quality information, as they will have the time to do so, instead of spending that time wading through hundreds of posts to see if something relevant has been posted.

I would appreciate if the moderators at least trial the suggestion. I'm sure it will become very useful when we have a life-threatening event ongoing...
0 likes   

Stephanie
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Stephanie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 pm

bvigal wrote:fci-TNX, and you in soflo, be safe this season, too!! ... I'm fine... Had two glasses of Cavit Pino Grigot and listening to AB's Whipping Post, cranked! TGIF!! Have a great weekend!!!!!

Sounds like a GREAT idea to me!! Love Cavit Pinot and Whipping Post. I haven't heard that in a long time! :D

We do have a Tropical Analysis forum which our approved pro & amateur mets can start threads with their forecasts. All members can post replies in there, they just can't start a new thread.

I'd like to encourage everyone to use that forum for their information as well.
Last edited by Stephanie on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby soonertwister » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:06 pm

The chat room has gone into the dump. senorreccon has hijacked admin status and is spamming chat with Cedar Rapids NWS text streams.

Really fun!
0 likes   

Stephanie
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Stephanie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:12 pm

soonertwister wrote:The chat room has gone into the dump. senorreccon has hijacked admin status and is spamming chat with Cedar Rapids NWS text streams.

Really fun!

Aren't there other Admins in there right now?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#20 Postby senorpepr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:18 pm

soonertwister wrote:The chat room has gone into the dump. senorreccon has hijacked admin status and is spamming chat with Cedar Rapids NWS text streams.

Really fun!

Ummm... no. Senorrecon did not hijack admin status nor is he spamming chat.

Relax... another user was requesting weather.
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”