REMEMBER!! This is a forum, NOT a chat room!! Must Read!

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#41 Postby BreinLa » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:37 am

Let me explain something here, all of us Mods have been very busy this weekend doing our jobs the best we can. Effective immediately, all non essential posts a mod deems non-essentail will contunue to be deleted and if I see one member being rude to an admin, mod or promet you are automatically inactive for 12 hours or more. You got a problem with this, pm me I'd love to discuss with you
0 likes   

southerngale
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#42 Postby southerngale » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:09 pm

gerrit wrote:All the rules for posting, or rather not posting the stupid oneliners and predictions based upon just a feeling by the "kids in underwear in their dorm rooms" (stolen from Airforce Met - good one!) are good rules.
They are like the traffic laws in Puerto Rico. Good laws but nobody enforces them.
The only way to get this board back to what it was, a quality source of information and a discussion place for pro mets and amateurs who know what they're talking about, is when moderators and admins start using the delete button!
Just kill all those stupid posts!
If those kiddies see their crap deleted a couple of times, they will either go away or start thinking before they post something.

Do you know what I spent my Saturday doing? Deleting posts...tons and tons of useless drivel posts. From morning until night, with a few breaks in between. Yes, I AM nuts, but that's what I did. I can only read and delete so fast. I also (along with other staff) posted MANY reminder links to this thread, to stop the chit-chat, etc. The same people were too busy making their next post, I don't think they even noticed that some of their posts were being deleted, and they clearly ignored our reminders.

You have no idea how much we really do behind the scenes! It takes cooperation from the members to make this work.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby fci » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:40 pm

Well, I hand to you guys and gals trying to control what is clearly becoming uncontrollable.

Trying to let people express their feelings about a storm while not having the chatty drivel and not stiffling thought.
Not easy to do.

I was rather unbothered by it until I saw AFM's post above and that scared me.
Without the Pro Mets this becomes a momentary diversion and not a source of vital information.
Frankly, I wade through the drivel and just look at who the poster was and stop at any Pro Met. So I rarely miss any of them, especially AFM's and Derek's.

I have no answers for you but to do what you are doing; delete the bad posts (and you all know what they are and apparently have been doing it- A LOT) and PM the members telling them they have had a post deleted and suspend them if it continues.

Believe me, if I get a PM from y'all; I react at once since I do not want to lose this valuable resource!
0 likes   

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#44 Postby VeniceInlet » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:18 pm

I'd also like to speak up about another kind of post I'd like to see deleted. There are a few posters who insist on saying for ever storm, "X's time has run out." or "X is overdue" or "X's time has come" A favorite target is Tampa. It's going on now in Ernesto. Anyone with one tenth of a brain knows that at some point in time, every single place in the path of hurricanes will be hit, and that the same place can be hit ten years in a row or not once in 100 years. So to say anyplace's time is overdue or has come is really a stupid statement. I've noticed that the SAME few posters in SE FL love to say this over and over again about Tampa if a storm even comes close to Florida. There are two posts from one poster right now in this forum that say this very thing. There is NO content other than this. Is this something you moderators can also delete?

Also, many other forums have a three strikes and you're out policy (or even one strike sometimes) so can't these posters be warned and eventually banned if they keep violating policy?

I'd also like to put in a vote for an ignore button. That won't help bandwidth but it will help make the place less annoying.
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby caribepr » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Since I can't/won't pm all the mods...I just want to say, I feel bad that you all are having to do so much busy work during what is turning out to be a pretty amazing storm system, obviously something you deeply appreciate and are interested in or you wouldn't go to the trouble of having this site.

It makes me think of you all being the hosts and hostesses of a big holiday dinner, so busy with the clutter work you barely get to eat at the table and at the end collapse with relief that it's over - yes, I know, it ain't over yet.

Hopefully, your hard work at keeping the board flowing more cleanly will result in less work later. (wish I really thought that was true).
Many thanks though. For those of us watching, it is obvious you are getting a LOT out of the way for the important information to get the attention it deserves. Kudos!

(and to those of you creating the huge workload..LOOK for your answers before asking questions, post ONLY if you have something intelligent and fact based to say and remember, being quiet can be a good thing, in an hour you may wish you'd never posted your opinion as a sure thing - the whole eating crow thing amoung non pro's or unknowledgeable weather ams - like me! - really isn't so amusing to the rest of us).
0 likes   

all_we_know_is_FALLING
Category 1
Category 1

#46 Postby all_we_know_is_FALLING » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:19 pm

I have a question.. I probably shouldn't ask it here, but I will.

Do the mods do all of this voluntarily or is it their job?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#47 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:33 pm

Voluntarily...we do it because we love the forum and we want it to remain as it has been since the beginning -- a great resource for weather information, education, and support, as well as a fun place to get to know some great people.

(At least, that's my take on it :) )

But it doesn't pay the rent. :wink:

I work at a hospital for that income.... :)
0 likes   

all_we_know_is_FALLING
Category 1
Category 1

#48 Postby all_we_know_is_FALLING » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am

Oh okay.

Well that's cool.
You guys do a good job.
0 likes   

sfwx
Category 1
Category 1

#49 Postby sfwx » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:06 pm

Mods shouldn't have to babysit those who can't follow rules, but that is what is happening. You have a tireless and thankless job. I am a mod on another site and it takes up a lot of my time and it is no where NEAR this size. I would say add more mods and start cracking down big time.!!

Eric
0 likes   

bigmoe52
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#50 Postby bigmoe52 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:51 pm

I agree. :D
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: REMEMBER!! This is a forum, NOT a chat room!! Must Read!

#51 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:28 pm

I wish these rules were being followed. I've seen bashing of members, bashing of the NHC and off topic themes continue in cyclone discussion threads without moderation. I love this board, but when I have to wade through 10 posts of crap, or when my questions go unanswered because they are buried behind off topic ranting then the board isn't working for me.

I suggest all posts that aren't on the topic of a thread be simply deleted with no fuss or warning. It's extremely frustrating to try and learn about forecasting or have a meaningful discussion about the thread topic when this stuff continues to happen.

I snapped! :oops:

Do you know what I spent my Saturday doing? Deleting posts...tons and tons of useless drivel posts. From morning until night, with a few breaks in between. Yes, I AM nuts, but that's what I did. I can only read and delete so fast. I also (along with other staff) posted MANY reminder links to this thread, to stop the chit-chat, etc. The same people were too busy making their next post, I don't think they even noticed that some of their posts were being deleted, and they clearly ignored our reminders.

You have no idea how much we really do behind the scenes! It takes cooperation from the members to make this work.

Of course once I calm down I'd say darn it, I certainly appreciate all the work you all do! :)

-- looks for a beer in the fridge ...
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”