Yucatan Tropical Storm History

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

azskyman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Yucatan Tropical Storm History

#1 Postby azskyman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Does anyone know a source of historical tropical storms that have made landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula. Obviously, the longer the record the better, but even if I can find reliable data over the last couple of decades, it would help.

Thanks.

Steve
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Yucatan Tropical Storm History

#2 Postby wxman57 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:45 pm

azskyman wrote:Does anyone know a source of historical tropical storms that have made landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula. Obviously, the longer the record the better, but even if I can find reliable data over the last couple of decades, it would help.

Thanks.

Steve

As far as just the data, you can search the hurricane database best track data in text form from 1851-1987:
ftp://rammftp.cira.colostate.edu/demari ... oradii.txt

And from 1988-present:
ftp://rammftp.cira.colostate.edu/demari ... k_atlc.txt

For graphics, I use either Unisys:
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/index.html

Or the Coastal Services Center plotter. You can select a location on the Yucatan and search all years since 1851 for any storm type (TS or Cat 1-5) in any month and get a nice plot.

http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/viewer.html

For example, I went to the interface and chose "Place Name", Mexico, and Cozumel. Then I selected all Cat 3-4-5 hurricanes in August passing within 100nm of Cozumel and got:

0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”