A fairly serious question for pro mets about employment

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

A fairly serious question for pro mets about employment

#1 Postby somethingfunny » Thu May 14, 2009 2:51 pm

After several attempts to formulate this question, I want to get straight to the point:

I'm a student in junior college right now, only taking prerequisite classes that would apply to virtually any major once I transfer to a university. My grades are good and it seems like I could succeed in any career path I decide on. I've been interested in meteorology both as a passion and as a science for as long as I can remember. I know that sometimes the question comes up about job growth in the field of meteorology and I feel that at the very least there are as many opporunities as in any other career path; my issue is a bit more problematic.

When I was 18 years old (and before) I did some very stupid things and I have a criminal record to show for it. While avoiding specifics I'll say that I've been convicted of two misdemeanors and I've been on a deferred adjudication probation for a felony for nearly two years. I've turned my life around since then and once I finish probation the felony is supposed to be dropped from my record, although the original arrest and indictment may still appear on a background check, along with the misdemeanors.

I'm getting to the point in my education now where I need to choose a major, so my question is this: Will my criminal background hurt me down the line when I apply for a job in the meteorology field? Alot of the jobs initially available to me would be with agencies like NOAA, NGS, etc. Are civil service employees held to especially stringent standards? Even with private businesses like TV stations or private forecasting firms that tend to look at hiring on a case-by-case basis, I'm afraid that I'll be at a significant disadvantage and might end up with a completely useless degree.

Could joining the military (if they'll grant a waiver) help me to overcome this? Am I better off accepting that my life will never be the same after what I've done, and just pursuing something like a business degree to expand my chances if I have to fend for myself?

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give me, but in particular I'd like to hear from those who have first-hand experience in the job fields I'm considering. If anybody needs more specifics on my record regarding the case-by-case nature of hiring standards, please PM me.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm

I am not sure about the rest of it, but if I remember correctly, the military doesn't accept anyone with a felony.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

Re: A fairly serious question for pro mets about employment

#3 Postby pojo » Sun May 17, 2009 11:36 am

The US Air Force does not accept anyone with felonies... and they will not grant any waivers for that. I'm not sure about the other services.
Good luck with your search.
0 likes   

theavocado
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby theavocado » Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Technically, the military does offer a waiver for a felony. However, they are RARELY issued. And, they will only issue one if the felony did not involve violence, weapons, drugs, or sexual crimes. Additionally, a waiver is needed if you have two or more misdemeanors. Having both probably does not help.

Additionally, the military does not reconized a record being expunged. Even for crimes committed as a minor. People have gotten in trouble for not reporting judgements against them, and providing false information to the government for purposes of enlistment is another felony.

Finally, if you did manage a waiver, you probably would not be able to work in meteorology. At least here in the Navy, all of our enlisted weather personnel (Aerographer Mates) are required to be eligible for a Secret clearance.

However, not to totally rain on your parade, I do recall reading an article that the Army and Marine Corps are issuing more waivers for felonies (same restrictions I mentioned earlier) do to less people enlisting into combat related specialties (infantry). It never hurts to talk to your local recruiting office. Trust me, they will do everything they can to help you get in.

:flag:
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Re:

#5 Postby senorpepr » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

theavocado wrote:At least here in the Navy, all of our enlisted weather personnel (Aerographer Mates) are required to be eligible for a Secret clearance.

USAF is the same as weather personnel are required to be eligible for a Secret clearance.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: A fairly serious question for pro mets about employment

#6 Postby Aslkahuna » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm

One other thing, if you wish to work for NWS, you just about need a Masters degree now just to get looked at for GS-5 Intern slots since there are many more Mets than there are jobs in NWS.

Steve
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”