What kind of home weather station do you recommend?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

What kind of home weather station do you recommend?

#1 Postby otowntiger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm considering the Davis VantagePro 2 wireless. I had a LaCrosse a couple years ago. It had a rainfall sensor, anemometer, hygrosensor, you name it. But after just a few months it completely went bonkers with outrageous readings and finally just quit working. It probably was no more than about $100. I'm consideing plunking down $400 on this one. What should I be considering? What do you think about the VantagePro 2?
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: What kind of home weather station do you recommend?

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:01 pm

The Davis is a good buy. I have an Oregon Scientific WMR-968 which is alright (it was cheaper than the Davis) but it has shortcomings including a longer sampling interval for the winds and the rainguage only records at 1 mm intervals (0.04in). The Davis has a 3 second interval on the winds and 0.01in on the rainguage. However, should be aware that tipping bucket guages are notorious for reading low in heavy rain so a standalone passive guage like a Tru-Check or the 4 inch guage used by spotters is a good investment.

Steve
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”