Environmental Effect on Tropical Cyclones

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Environmental Effect on Tropical Cyclones

#1 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 am

This could be a dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out. It's tough to describe so I will try my best. If a category 5 hurricane were to be placed in a extremely harsh environment such as north of Iceland, would the category 5 remain itself for a brief period of time (meaning the winds are still at CAT5 strength, same pressure, etc.) or would it immediately lose all of it the instant it was placed there and become whatever the environment can support? It's like would the kinetic energy stored in the CAT5 quickly expel itself and then rapidly weaken or would it not exist once placed in the harsh environment because it wouldn't be able to support it?
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Environmental Effect on Tropical Cyclones

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 pm

There would be a time period, albeit short, where it would have to wind down. No natural system dissipates its energy immediately.

Steve
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Environmental Effect on Tropical Cyclones

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Aslkahuna wrote:There would be a time period, albeit short, where it would have to wind down. No natural system dissipates its energy immediately.

Steve

These were my original thoughts. So that basically means if a category 5 can travel fast enough to a certain location, the full power of it can be felt where it shouldn't "normally" be given the conditions. Thanks for the response.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”