Late Typhoon Season in Western Pac Region

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

Late Typhoon Season in Western Pac Region

#1 Postby Typhoon10 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:28 am

I feel we have had below average TS season over here. Do we think it will be a late season with quite a few coming in Oct and Nov?
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Late Typhoon Season in Western Pac Region

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:23 pm

October and November account for 6.3 named and 4.6 typhoons on average respectively so it should be at least semi-active. Also we are in the peak season for Supers. Usually the big Supers are most common in September and October, but there have been some real monsters as late as December as the US Navy found out in 1944.

Steve
0 likes   

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby Typhoon10 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks, but are you referring to WPAC region? I am moving back to HK and trying to understand from you experts whether I am in for a active Oct and Nov.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby Aslkahuna » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Yes, I am referring to WPAC (no body else gets so many storms in October and November in the Northern Hemisphere). For Hong Kong specifically. October remains a risk month but the risk drops off in November as the NE Monsoon begins to establish itself over the northern portions of the South China Sea. That said, Hong Kong has been hit as late as December 1st (in 1974). They have already had some decent blows there so with luck maybe you will escape.

Steve
0 likes   

supercane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby supercane » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Agree with above. More in-depth info on Hong Kong cyclone climatology from the Navy's Typhoon Haven review at http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/~cannon/thh-nc/hongkong/text/sect6.htm.

supercane
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”