Wind Shear?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Explorer93
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Wind Shear?

#1 Postby Explorer93 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:51 am

Can someone make a graphic or explain what Wind Shear is?
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby thetruesms » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 am

Wind shear is simply the change in direction and/or speed of wind. For tropical purposes, we're often speaking of vertical shear, which is the change in winds with height.

Most of the conceptual models I see on a quick glance of google and bing image searches aren't very good, but I guess this one isn't too terrible
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Wind Shear?

#3 Postby Aslkahuna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:49 pm

There is also horizontal wind shear which is the change of wind velocity (speed and/or direction) with horizontal distance. Horizontal shear helps generate vorticity (rotation) and can be a trigger for cyclone development. Earth's vorticity (Coriolis) decreases with decreasing latitude from the Poles and becomes ineffective at generating low level rotation at latitudes equatorward of 10 degrees. However, the horizontal shear associated with monsoon troughs can result in rotation developing at latitudes as low as 5 degrees (N or S) or even lower on occasion. This is common in WPAC during the early and late parts of the year.

Steve
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”