Meteorology

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Meteorology

#1 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 am

I'm 17 years old entering my senior year soon, and ever since I was 10 I was in love with anything weather associated (mainly Hurricanes). So since collage is approaching fast, I've been thinking about becoming a Meteorologist quiet a bit.

What do I need to major in and how long would it take?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Ah, like many of us, you were bitten with the meteorology bug early. As you're looking at schools, you want to look for a degree in Meteorology. In addition, you'll want to look out for program names like Atmospheric Sciences, Atmospheric Physics, or possibly even Atmospheric Chemistry. These are very similar (and in many cases, identical) programs of study. If you want to consider a career with the National Weather Service, I recommend you look up their educational requirements and make sure the schools you consider can offer that to you. Also, you want to start a relationship now with an NWS office near your home or near where you'll go to school and work towards becoming a part of the SCEP program - there's virtually no way to get in the NWS out of school without participating in this. However, don't fret, as there are definitely other opportunities to work in meteorology out there.

If you still have classes to enroll for in high school, I recommend taking every math class you can possibly squeeze in - it will be the most valuable thing you can do to prepare for a meteorology program. Also, science classes are good, and definitely look for computer science classes that might be available to you. All of these will be helpful preparation for your college career.

Are you looking to stay in-state for college? Then look no further than UH-Manoa. Their department page is at http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/index.php, and they have an undergraduate brochure here: http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/UgradBrochureColor.pdf

If you are willing to go to the mainland for school, there are many quality programs. I did my undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Oklahoma, and it's a world-class program with a lot of great people. Penn State is another well-known program. Really, there are many programs out there - it's probably best to look around yourself and see what appeals to you. Bachelor's programs are pretty structured and don't give you a lot of opportunity to study things of personal interest, but some chances are built in, and there are even more (such as undergraduate research) if you choose to go looking for them.

Hopefully I've been able to at least get you started on your research, and good luck as you get ready to make the transition from high school to college!
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#3 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:45 am

thetruesms wrote:Ah, like many of us, you were bitten with the meteorology bug early. As you're looking at schools, you want to look for a degree in Meteorology. In addition, you'll want to look out for program names like Atmospheric Sciences, Atmospheric Physics, or possibly even Atmospheric Chemistry. These are very similar (and in many cases, identical) programs of study. If you want to consider a career with the National Weather Service, I recommend you look up their educational requirements and make sure the schools you consider can offer that to you. Also, you want to start a relationship now with an NWS office near your home or near where you'll go to school and work towards becoming a part of the SCEP program - there's virtually no way to get in the NWS out of school without participating in this. However, don't fret, as there are definitely other opportunities to work in meteorology out there.

If you still have classes to enroll for in high school, I recommend taking every math class you can possibly squeeze in - it will be the most valuable thing you can do to prepare for a meteorology program. Also, science classes are good, and definitely look for computer science classes that might be available to you. All of these will be helpful preparation for your college career.

Are you looking to stay in-state for college? Then look no further than UH-Manoa. Their department page is at http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/index.php, and they have an undergraduate brochure here: http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/UgradBrochureColor.pdf

If you are willing to go to the mainland for school, there are many quality programs. I did my undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Oklahoma, and it's a world-class program with a lot of great people. Penn State is another well-known program. Really, there are many programs out there - it's probably best to look around yourself and see what appeals to you. Bachelor's programs are pretty structured and don't give you a lot of opportunity to study things of personal interest, but some chances are built in, and there are even more (such as undergraduate research) if you choose to go looking for them.

Hopefully I've been able to at least get you started on your research, and good luck as you get ready to make the transition from high school to college!

THANK YOU! Appreciate it! Im going to look into UH Manoa and Oklahoma!
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby thetruesms » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:13 am

Oh, I almost forgot; sometimes you'll find meteorology tucked into Geography or Oceanography departments, as well. Although you have to be careful - sometimes their programs are not as rigorous as necessary to get a job out of school without taking additional courses.

The AMS, for being the professional meteorological society, does not do enough in my mind to help meteorologically-minded students figure out what school to attend. However, they do have a listing of schools that offer degrees in or similar to meteorology. The list is here: http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricul ... Degree.cfm. You can go through the drop down menu, and they'll have links to the school and department websites. I've noticed that some of the information is out of date - schools that may have once offered a meteorology degree do not always do so, so be sure to check out those department pages to make sure you can still go there! Also, look at the school in general, as well. I know there's been a lot of push lately for kids to always go to the "best" they can. But truthfully, undergraduate tracks are very similar except for some details - it would be much better to go to a school that fits you and you will enjoy being at than focusing on "who's the best". You can consider things like that for grad school, where things like research programs and their standing become more important.

Also, don't forget scholarships. College is getting pricey these days! There are some scholarships for students looking into meteorology available through the AMS (there's not much info now, but later check http://www.ametsoc.org/amsstudentinfo/s ... index.html), and of course more general ones available everywhere. If you haven't already, stop by your school's guidance office, or whoever it is that works with college-bound students. I'd imagine that they have many resources available for other scholarship opportunities. The more you can get other people/businesses to pay for your education, the less strain you and your family will have.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#5 Postby JonathanBelles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:24 pm

To add to what thetruesms said. Florida State University just lumped three majors into one department: The " Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science ", which puts the majors of geology, oceanography, and meteorology as well as their chemical, physical, and dynamical aspects thereof.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#6 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:28 am

thetruesms wrote:Oh, I almost forgot; sometimes you'll find meteorology tucked into Geography or Oceanography departments, as well. Although you have to be careful - sometimes their programs are not as rigorous as necessary to get a job out of school without taking additional courses.

The AMS, for being the professional meteorological society, does not do enough in my mind to help meteorologically-minded students figure out what school to attend. However, they do have a listing of schools that offer degrees in or similar to meteorology. The list is here: http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricul ... Degree.cfm. You can go through the drop down menu, and they'll have links to the school and department websites. I've noticed that some of the information is out of date - schools that may have once offered a meteorology degree do not always do so, so be sure to check out those department pages to make sure you can still go there! Also, look at the school in general, as well. I know there's been a lot of push lately for kids to always go to the "best" they can. But truthfully, undergraduate tracks are very similar except for some details - it would be much better to go to a school that fits you and you will enjoy being at than focusing on "who's the best". You can consider things like that for grad school, where things like research programs and their standing become more important.

Also, don't forget scholarships. College is getting pricey these days! There are some scholarships for students looking into meteorology available through the AMS (there's not much info now, but later check http://www.ametsoc.org/amsstudentinfo/s ... index.html), and of course more general ones available everywhere. If you haven't already, stop by your school's guidance office, or whoever it is that works with college-bound students. I'd imagine that they have many resources available for other scholarship opportunities. The more you can get other people/businesses to pay for your education, the less strain you and your family will have.

Yes sir! The school gave me and my sister last year 80,000$ last year for collage to split. She of course took 40k, so that leaves me 40k too. The govt will probably give me 2-4k a year to spend. Do you think thats good enough?

Im also looking to get into Oceanology after I get finish with Meteorology.

Also thanks for all the info! I appreciate it.

fact789 wrote:To add to what thetruesms said. Florida State University just lumped three majors into one department: The " Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science ", which puts the majors of geology, oceanography, and meteorology as well as their chemical, physical, and dynamical aspects thereof.

If UH Manoa has this, that will be heaven!
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby brunota2003 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:45 am

You must have a lot better GPA than I do! I joined the military to get free college :lol: Another thing I've come across too (for anyone who may look) both Penn State and Mississippi State University do have online classes. Penn State's, though, is more for the amateur who wishes to learn more about met (perfect for those who love it as a hobby).

MSU has broadcast based distance learning, however...and that is what I am probably going to try to do. It is 3 years long, one class per semester I believe. (Side note...MSU Distance Learning is under "Geosciences"...see link below!)

Penn State (this certificate counts as 12 college credits):
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/WeatherF ... cate.shtml

MSU (they have Broadcast, Operational...which is the same thing as Broadcast, but at the end you do not have to attend a weekend workshop):
http://www.distance.msstate.edu/geosciences/

I also noticed under the graduate part on that page, there is an Applied Meteorology Program...not sure what that is, I do not remember seeing it on the page before.
0 likes   

theavocado
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#8 Postby theavocado » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Kingarabian wrote:If UH Manoa has this, that will be heaven!

The other good thing about UH Manoa is that the NWS and CPHC Office is on the actual campus. I have a friend working on his Phd there and at least at the graduate level they allow the students to come and participate in the daily discussions.
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm

If you're looking for collocation, there are also a few others that are set up like this
Oklahoma (along with SPC, NSSL, Oklahoma Climate Survey, etc.)
Florida State
Penn State

It's definitely a great way to get some interaction, but interest is obviously very high, so there are frequently extra hoops to jump through. If you can do it though, it's very worth it.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 pm

NC State also has a met program with the NWS office located on campus as well.
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby thetruesms » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 am

I was thinking that there was at least one more that I was forgetting :oops:
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Meteorology

#12 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:18 pm

The Tucson Office of the NWS is on the UofA campus but the Atmo Department there is basically a graduate program.

Steve
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#13 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Yep, the NWS Tally is in the MET/Mathmatics building on the FSU campus. I was there on Friday, but didnt go into the NWS. I hope to start observing/interning/working at the NWS Tally in the next year.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”