Highest PW Value Recorded

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Highest PW Value Recorded

#1 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:48 am

I wonder what is the highest precipitable water (PW) ever recorded? I rarely see PW value above 2".
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Highest PW Value Recorded

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:53 am

Last week saw PWs up to 2.0 inches over SE AZ.

Steve
0 likes   

cyclogenesis
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby cyclogenesis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Ptarmigan ~~

I've recently witenessed PW's, Precipitable Waters, of 2.60" to 2.80" here in the New Orleans area in the past few weeks.

An easy way to check is go look at GOES sounder data over the Tropical Regions during summer-time, to have a look-see what they're running at. Here's another place you can look: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real- ... /main.html To translate, you divide the number on the legend scale to the right by the number 25, to get PW's in inches. Only thing is, that the obeserved PW's I've seen, go higher & off the scale than what that website's upper bound limit is.

I typically check & do this when there's a budding cyclone that is poised to affect my service area of the Northern Gulf states.

I always look at observed & forecast levels of PW's & deep-layer, mean R.H.'s to see if there's any interrupting dry air around.

-- cyclogenesis
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 am

cyclogenesis wrote:Ptarmigan ~~

I've recently witenessed PW's, Precipitable Waters, of 2.60" to 2.80" here in the New Orleans area in the past few weeks.

An easy way to check is go look at GOES sounder data over the Tropical Regions during summer-time, to have a look-see what they're running at. Here's another place you can look: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real- ... /main.html To translate, you divide the number on the legend scale to the right by the number 25, to get PW's in inches. Only thing is, that the obeserved PW's I've seen, go higher & off the scale than what that website's upper bound limit is.

I typically check & do this when there's a budding cyclone that is poised to affect my service area of the Northern Gulf states.

I always look at observed & forecast levels of PW's & deep-layer, mean R.H.'s to see if there's any interrupting dry air around.

-- cyclogenesis

That's really wet! I remember when Hurricane Alex was around, there were PW values as high as 3".
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”