Tropical Cyclones and Oceans

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Tropical Cyclones and Oceans

#1 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:53 pm

I know most of you seen me plenty of times talking about Typhoons and everything. I know when a Tropical Cyclone passes over water it "Churns" the water up. Can someone tell me where I can find an explanation of this so i know what it is and how it effects the ocean and why if another tropical cyclone is behind it will deter it from forming more. Thank you.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:44 pm

0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Awesome..Thank you!
0 likes   

theavocado
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Tropical Cyclones and Oceans

#4 Postby theavocado » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 am

Let me offer a simplified explanation, if I may. There are two functions that are cooling the ocean following a tropical cyclone. The first, and obvious one, is mixing at the surface. Waves, wind, turbulence, etc cause the mixed layer (an isothermal and isosaline layer) to deepen into the lower layers of the ocean. This mixing introduces water that is usually not affected by the sun and cooler, thus bringing down the temperatures of the mixed layer.

The second, and more significant effect for a strong storm, is Eckman Pumping. This is a result of Eckman Transport, which is a forcing of the surface water by wind. Basically, in the Northern Hemisphere, water is forced at a vector ~45 degrees to the right of the wind. If you picture a Tropical Cyclone in the Northern Hemisphere, the winds are circling counter-clockwise (cyclonically) and the water is being pushed to the right, or away, from the storm. If all the water is being pushed away from the center of a storm at the surface, the only way new water can come replace it is from below, and the water from below is colder. Much colder, in fact, than the water from surface mixing. Hence the cold wake.
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby StormingB81 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:47 am

Thank you. Now I know what Churned means..I knew it got colder but didn't now why. Well I knew why (but a tropical cyclone) not not why..in why is cools..so thank you very much I know something new..
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”