discrepancies between JTWC and RSMC-DELHI tc intensity estim

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

discrepancies between JTWC and RSMC-DELHI tc intensity estim

#1 Postby weatherwindow » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 am

i have noticed a consistent discrepancy in the BOB tropical cyclone intensity estimates between the RSMC Delhi and the JTWC...there appears to be a systemic underestimate of intensity by the RSMC vis-a-vis the JTWC...this appears to consistent across all time frames ...is there a good reason why?......thanx for the help.....rich
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2 Postby RL3AO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:37 am

I don't know why, but I wouldn't trust IMD's forecast with my life, but 500 million people have to.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: discrepancies between JTWC and RSMC-DELHI tc intensity estim

#3 Postby Macrocane » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:07 pm

IMD uses 3 minute sustained winds and JTWC 1 minute sustained winds, so the JTWC estimates are always higher though the difference shouldn't be that high, I really believe that IMD totally underestimates the intensity of tropical cyclones.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby RL3AO » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Macrocane wrote: I really believe that IMD totally underestimates the intensity of tropical cyclones.

Massive understatement. Deep depressions don't have eyewalls, which is what Pre-Nargis had.
0 likes   

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby weatherwindow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 am

as you noted, RL...those errors endanger some of the world's most vulnerable coastlines and exceptionally dense populations at elevations along the BOB that are akin to those of the fla keys...hopefully there is some local access to better info(JTWC)
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby Aslkahuna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 am

weatherwindow wrote:as you noted, RL...those errors endanger some of the world's most vulnerable coastlines and exceptionally dense populations at elevations along the BOB that are akin to those of the fla keys...hopefully there is some local access to better info(JTWC)

Doubtful since JTWC is primarily for US Military and diplomatic interests only-therein BTW is the rub since the Indian Government is not amenable to using any US Military sourced information.

Steve
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby P.K. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:39 pm

The IMD wind speeds should be lower than the JTWC ones as stated above. In recent times the IMD have got much better with regards to the intensities of cyclonic storms than they were even a couple of years ago even if there is still a little way to go.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”