Meteorology programs

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Meteorology programs

#1 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm just wondering, what schools have good meteorology programs that would be reachable for me? I have been suggested to go into one, but the only one in Canada is at York University and I have zero respect for that school. I know I will likely have to look in other countries, hopefully they come up with excellent financial aid.
0 likes   

supercane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby supercane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by "reachable". At the undergrad level, getting into a program is simply contingent upon being accepted into your desired institution, and many places would provide a fine background in synoptic meteorology. (Math is your friend.) If you mean the graduate level, it would help if you had a strong scientific background, and the choice of specific institution would depend on the match between the faculty's and your research interests.

The American Meteorological Society maintains a list of US and Canadian institutions providing degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate level at http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricula/index.cfm. Looking at this site, there are a few universities in Canada that have meteorology programs, including McGill and McMaster.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Meteorology programs

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 am

CrazyC83 wrote:I'm just wondering, what schools have good meteorology programs that would be reachable for me? I have been suggested to go into one, but the only one in Canada is at York University and I have zero respect for that school. I know I will likely have to look in other countries, hopefully they come up with excellent financial aid.

I have no idea why you have zero respect for York University because I haven't heard anything bad about it but please PM the reason because if I was going to become a meteorologist that one would be the first choice. I know several who have become meteorologists there and they had no differing ideas as to what school in Canada to attend.

Are you seriously considering becoming a MET crazy? If so, how strong are your math skills because many like me will tell you that is what is holding us back :( .
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”