Weather colleges in Texas??

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

lebron23
Category 1
Category 1

Weather colleges in Texas??

#1 Postby lebron23 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm

What colleges in Texas can you go to and major in Meteorology, Any besides Tech and A&M?
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:00 pm

The schools that immediately jump to my mind are those two.

According to the AMS Curricula (http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricula/index.cfm), there are a few other schools in Texas - Rice, Houston, and UT-Austin are all listed. However, that can be a little misleading as those programs are not meteorology programs per se, but a type of Earth Sciences program which can emphasize on the atmospheric portion. I only took a glance at each of their websites, but a lot of those are aimed at climate, and don't dig very deep (or at all) into weather, which may not be your interest. The Curricula also mentions a religious school in San Antonio, University of the Incarnate Word. This is actually a degree focused on meteorology, but one glance at their degree plan tells me that it is not very rigorous. If you're interested in broadcast journalism it is probably fine, as they make specific mention of AMS/NWA seals. However, if you were interested in the NWS or other avenues of employment, you're not going to get the education you need.

I'm sure you ask about the state at least in part because of residency issues, but have you considered Oklahoma? It's closer to your location than Tech :lol:
0 likes   

lebron23
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Weather colleges in Texas??

#3 Postby lebron23 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

The road I was planing to take is attending Texas A&M Corpus Christi, or any A&M then try transferring into Texas A&M University the problem I see is, I'm not sure if any of the A&M offers a major in meteorology besides Texas A&M University
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Weather colleges in Texas??

#4 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Texas A&M University in College Station is a great meteorology school. I'm currently a junior there and they have a great program! :D
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”