How much of an impact does Saharan dust have on storm format

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DreamworksSKG

How much of an impact does Saharan dust have on storm format

#1 Postby DreamworksSKG » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 pm

How much of an impact does the lack of or excess amount of Saharan dust have on the impact and number of tropical cyclones in a season?

Could Saharan dust be a reason we aren't seeing any major storms coming off Africa recently??? I know its not quite the peak of hurricane season but all the storms that have formed have been weaker and further west.

Could Saharhan Dust be having an impact?? this year??? and what does that mean for the prediction of an highly active season ???
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: How much of an impact does Saharan dust have on storm format

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Excess Saharan Dust and the dry air associated with it is the kiss of death for Tropical Cyclone formation.

Steve
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How much of an impact does Saharan dust have on storm format

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I will break this down into multiple questions:

DreamworksSKG wrote:How much of an impact does the lack of or excess amount of Saharan dust have on the impact and number of tropical cyclones in a season?

I don't think it has a huge impact unless conditions are unfavorable in the western part of the Atlantic basin, I think 2005 had it's fair share of Saharan dust if I'm not mistaken. A lack of dust means tropical waves tend to develop more to the east which means more Cape Verde Hurricanes.

DreamworksSKG wrote:Could Saharan dust be a reason we aren't seeing any major storms coming off Africa recently???

No, everything is right on schedule with what is typical. If by late October there were no hurricanes or major hurricanes from the eastern Atlantic I think that would be a good reason.

DreamworksSKG wrote:I know its not quite the peak of hurricane season but all the storms that have formed have been weaker and further west.

I thought it was funny how every named storm in the Atlantic was only just a TS in contrast to the eastern Pacific but it's not until mid August and beyond that stronger TC's formed and became significant more easily. This is basically how 2011 has behaved as well. They are further westwards so far this year compared to 2010.

DreamworksSKG wrote:Could Saharhan Dust be having an impact?? this year??? and what does that mean for the prediction of an highly active season ???

Saharan dust has an impact every year and I don't see it causing too much trouble as eastern Atlantic storm formation is picking up now. It doesn't mean anything for how active a season is IMO.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”