wikipedia

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

shamoly
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

wikipedia

#1 Postby shamoly » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:13 am

How do you avoid wikipedia from appearing in your search engine results? I can't stand wikipedia, everytime I type in a word to get a simple definition, wikipedia comes up! There has got to be an option to get rid of this problem.
Last edited by shamoly on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: wikipedia

#2 Postby wxman57 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 am

shamoly wrote:How do you avoid wikipedia from appearing in your search engine results? I can't stand wikipedia, everytime I type in a word to get a simple definition, wikipedia comes up! There has got to be an option to get rid of this problem.

Which browser? In Firefox, you can set Wikipedia to be the default search engine. Look at the top right window of Firefox and make sure you have the search engine set to something other than Wikipedia. See below:

If you don't have Wikipedia set to be your search engine, then there is nothing you can do about the search results.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 am

Wait...so if you set wikipedia as your default search engine, it will prevent links from wikipedia from popping up? :lol:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#4 Postby wxman57 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:07 am

brunota2003 wrote:Wait...so if you set wikipedia as your default search engine, it will prevent links from wikipedia from popping up? :lol:

No, if you set wikipedia as your default search engine it will display wikipedia links. Set your search engine as something OTHER than wikipedia to get other links besides wikipedia. But even then, you may still get a lot of wikipedia links.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: wikipedia

#5 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 pm

shamoly wrote:How do you avoid wikipedia from appearing in your search engine results? I can't stand wikipedia, everytime I type in a word to get a simple definition, wikipedia comes up! There has got to be an option to get rid of this problem.

You consider impartial facts and vetted information to be a problem?
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#6 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:36 am

wxman57 wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:Wait...so if you set wikipedia as your default search engine, it will prevent links from wikipedia from popping up? :lol:

No, if you set wikipedia as your default search engine it will display wikipedia links. Set your search engine as something OTHER than wikipedia to get other links besides wikipedia. But even then, you may still get a lot of wikipedia links.

He was wondering how to avoid wikipedia links...he doesn't want them popping up when he searches for things
0 likes   

thundercam96
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

wikipedia

#7 Postby thundercam96 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 am

If using google you can go into advanced search and exclude results from wikipidia

---
0 likes   
Fay '08 / Mathew 16'

Personal Forecast Disclaimer: I am not a certified meteorologist, therefore, what is posted on this forum under my header should not be treated as an official forecast. Please refer to the NWS/NHC products for forecast information.

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”