If realized, what would these GFS frames be like?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

If realized, what would these GFS frames be like?

#1 Postby Cyclenall » Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 am

About a week ago, the GFS model 384 hours had this in the ultra long range (fantasy):

The first one is from 324 hours and shows an insane low pressure system that is 972 mb if I read that right taking up a good portion of mainland North America. Would this be like the Storm of the Century II or something else? I don't see any other pressure systems around it and I wonder if the lower resolution on the model just makes it like that. The 2nd image (336 hours) shows it moving east and bringing southern Ontario a good whipping...is this just rain or maybe something significant? The trough did look very large.

While on the topic of GFS model imagery, I want to improve on temperatures within the model guidance. What exactly (with regards to temperature) are those blue and red contours showing? I see increments of 10ºC for each line but I doubt they are totally surface based. Does this take into account anything like soundings and mixing?
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 am

According to the bottom of the map...the map shows 10 meter winds (or about 33 foot off the ground), 12 hour precip in inches (total rain accumulated in the last? 12 hours), and 2 meter temperatures in C (or approximately 6 foot up). I guess the red lines are for temps greater than 0C and blue is 0C and colder?
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”