Hurricane Ike and Ohio

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GlennOBX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Hurricane Ike and Ohio

#1 Postby GlennOBX » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm

A friend is telling me that she experienced hurricane strength sustained winds in Cincinatti when Ike came through. I've seen news articles and such online that mention wind GUSTS to hurricane strength, but nothing mentioning sustained winds at that level. Does anyone have any info indicating there were sustained winds that high in OH when Ike (or what was left of him) went through there?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Hurricane Ike and Ohio

#2 Postby tolakram » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am

GlennOBX wrote:A friend is telling me that she experienced hurricane strength sustained winds in Cincinatti when Ike came through. I've seen news articles and such online that mention wind GUSTS to hurricane strength, but nothing mentioning sustained winds at that level. Does anyone have any info indicating there were sustained winds that high in OH when Ike (or what was left of him) went through there?

Gusts only. CVG (the airport) experienced a gusts over 70MPH and had to evacuate the control tower, while a 777 was trying to land. Being the weather nut I am I was at the observation area during the worst of the wind storm. It was only when I went to get lunch that I realized most of our area had no power.

AFAIK we never experienced sustained hurricane force winds, just really strong gusts to hurricane force. There should be a record of it somewhere.

Here's the CVG entry: http://www.wunderground.com/history/air ... story.html

Code: Select all

Wind Speed    19 mph (SW)         
Max Wind Speed    54 mph         
Max Gust Speed    74 mph
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am

Always check the Tropical Cyclone Report: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/TCR-AL092008_Ike_3May10.pdf

As tolakram said, "Wind gusts to hurricane force were reported at Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati, Columbus, and Wilmington, Ohio."
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”