Members in WPAC

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Members in WPAC

#1 Postby euro6208 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16 pm

I know over a year ago, there was a another member from Guam that usually posted but since disappeared. I think he was just a U.S military stationed on Guam and deployed so no longer posting.

Usually the active posters over here are from the U.S military but they have moved. We have a few locals posting majority from the philippines but am thinking what if STORM2k had different translation in Chinese, Japanese, Tagalog, Korean and other languages where citizens can't speak or read english?

I think it is a great way for other members of society to join in. I think it'll be a huge plus for storm2k if this were to happen.

English isn't everyone's first language...

This will greatly increase our WPAC discussions...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Hurricane_Luis
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Hurricane_Luis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Nice idea.

But, Am I right in guessing that the local server translates websites automatically.

I think this because I recently went on holiday to Iceland and I visited this site the JTWC and the NHC and they where in Icelandic.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Members in WPAC

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 pm

I like the suggestion but I don't know how translation could be automatically added to each post which is what we would need to make it work I think.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#4 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:25 pm

A Google Translate plugin might be able to produce rough translations, but we might also be able to add separate forums for non-English users. I know that several members of our moderation team are fluent in Spanish... if they're willing to, they or other members could certainly work on a Spanish-language subforum.

We have Spanish speakers in the Philippines and all across the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico, even a large portion of people in Florida, Texas, and other parts of the US are primarily Spanish speakers.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5 Postby euro6208 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:11 am

somethingfunny wrote:A Google Translate plugin might be able to produce rough translations, but we might also be able to add separate forums for non-English users. I know that several members of our moderation team are fluent in Spanish... if they're willing to, they or other members could certainly work on a Spanish-language subforum.

We have Spanish speakers in the Philippines and all across the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico, even a large portion of people in Florida, Texas, and other parts of the US are primarily Spanish speakers.

Great Idea. Why not have a separate forum for non-english speakers and readers? Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:43 am

I suggest Filipino-language forums too... We have a number of Filipino users here, although I am not too fluent in Tagalog/Filipino. :lol:
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”