Why is the name Storm2k?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Why is the name Storm2k?

#1 Postby Kazmit » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 pm

This just crossed my mind randomly. Why is Storm2k called Storm2k? What does it mean? :)
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Why is the name Storm2k?

#2 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:33 am

I don't know. There is little discussion of or interest in land based storms. I only count 5 or 6 threads on the front page of Active Topics that are about land based weather, a few more than that on board related subjects. The rest are all Tropical storms. Even some of the land weather thread like TX and FL often mention off-shore storms that may or may not affect those areas.

The focus seems to be on off-shore storms, so maybe the site should be renamed -- Tropical2K ?
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Excellent question! I'm almost certain that the "2K" refers to the year 2000. This BB was created not too long afterward (2002?), and I think it was sort of an offshoot of an older BB that possibly had something to do with a Palm Beach newspaper. I think that the word "storm" was also in that Palm Beach newspaper BB's name, but I may be remembering this incorrectly. That newspaper's focus was on tropical threats to FL. That is from where I recall the tropical focus for storm2K originating.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby BobHarlem » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Palm Beach post used to call their storm section storm 98, 99, etc.. Earliest spotting of the board on the archive.org site http://web.archive.org/web/200102112018 ... k/bbs.html (the timeline at the top lets you move to later days)
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Kalrany » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm

You know, that is something that I always wondered, but never saw an answer for. That is really cool! Thanks for the history lesson!
8-)
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:57 pm

i remember going to their chatroom when hurr was coming i bet alot weather people on that site
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby LarryWx » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:41 am

BobHarlem wrote:Palm Beach post used to call their storm section storm 98, 99, etc.. Earliest spotting of the board on the archive.org site http://web.archive.org/web/200102112018 ... k/bbs.html (the timeline at the top lets you move to later days)

OMG, I distinctly remember the name "duskwee" even though I probably haven't seen that name in 8-10+ years! I think he was a fellow Georgian (Athens). Anyone else remember him?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby LarryWx » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:52 am

floridasun78 wrote:i remember going to their chatroom when hurr was coming i bet alot weather people on that site

florida, were you possibly in those chat rooms under a different name? I feel like I remember a Miami poster from way back around then whom you remind me of.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:50 pm

LarryWx wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:i remember going to their chatroom when hurr was coming i bet alot weather people on that site

florida, were you possibly in those chat rooms under a different name? I feel like I remember a Miami poster from way back around then whom you remind me of.

my name was hurr789
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby LarryWx » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:27 pm

floridasun78 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

my name was hurr789

Oh yeah, that name seems somewhat familiar!
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”