ULL ----->TD?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stormavoider
Category 2
Category 2

ULL ----->TD?

#1 Postby Stormavoider » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:22 pm

How often do ULLs transition to tropical systems? Is there much history of this?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#2 Postby senorpepr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:17 pm

Stormavoider wrote:I found this:

There are also suggestions that TUTTs can assist tropical cyclone genesis and intensification by providing additional forced ascent near the storm center and/or by allowing for an efficient outflow channel in the upper troposphere. For a more detailed discussion on TUTTs see the article by Fitzpatrick et al. (1995).

Here:

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A10.html
So apparently a TUTT can aid in development of and Tropical Cyclone.
0 likes   

Stormavoider
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Stormavoider » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:25 pm

senorpepr wrote:
Stormavoider wrote:I found this:

There are also suggestions that TUTTs can assist tropical cyclone genesis and intensification by providing additional forced ascent near the storm center and/or by allowing for an efficient outflow channel in the upper troposphere. For a more detailed discussion on TUTTs see the article by Fitzpatrick et al. (1995).

Here:

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A10.html
So apparently a TUTT can aid in development of and Tropical Cyclone.

Huh?
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby O Town » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Upper Level Low=TUTT
But still that article doesn't really answer your question, I was also kinda of curious as to how often they work down to the surface and develope into a tropical system. Does any come to mind?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#5 Postby senorpepr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Sorry... that was an incomplete answer I gave earlier... I was distracted. Anyway... they ratherly becoming tropical cyclones themselves, although they do occasionally help approaching waves into tropical cyclones.

Basically, it takes a LOT for an upper-level low to stretch from roughly 30,000 ft all the way down to the surface, but it can happen in the right cases.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby HurricaneBill » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:47 am

A good example is T.S. Beryl in 1994. An ULL entered the Gulf of Mexico and transitioned into a tropical depression and eventually became Beryl.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:16 am

How thing works or how I believe this works...See a ULL is like a upper level extratropical cyclone. Which forms above 18,000 feet or 500 millibars. This system often forms a surface area of low pressure to its southeastern side. Or aids in its development. Now how doe's one go from a cold core area of upper level low pressure to a tropical cyclone?

See convection is really heat evp off the oceans that rise into the Atmosphere. This once reachs its dew point releases heat. Which warms the area around it=more convection. Once convection starts forming with in the ULL the ULL becomes more warmer core...When this happens the winds start moving into the warmer core. Remember winds move from area's of high pressure to low pressure. What happens is as the core warms up it turns into a surface low pressure. This in the Coli force(Can't spell it)starts moving the winds into the system. Which makes the ULL move down to the surface as a surface low.

I hope that answers you quastion???
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby Aslkahuna » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 am

TUTT Lows and ULLs are two different animals but the answer is yes, both can become Tropical Cyclones and in fact, a cutoff ULL developing into a Tropical systems due to thr release of latent heat from convection is a relatively common occurrence in the ATL early and late in the season. Cutoffs are not tremendously common in the WPAC so that method of formation is relatively rare but as mentioned in the TUTT thread TUTT Lows can account for about 16% or so of the total number of WPAC storms each year on average.

Steve
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”