Tornado question

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Tornado question

#1 Postby Cookiely » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm

I just finished watching a couple of movies on storm chasers and viewed some amazing tornados. My question is can you tell by looking at a tornado what F class it is because no one in the movie mentioned how powerful the tornados were. Is it determined by damage estimates?
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby P.K. » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 pm

You can't tell the T or F rating just by looking at it. You either need a ground survey afterwards, or doppler on wheels estimates. If you have DOW estimates there will be a site investigation done as well I would expect.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Sure you can if it flatens a brink building or a steal inforced one then its a f5.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Cookiely » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:43 pm

P.K. wrote:You can't tell the T or F rating just by looking at it. You either need a ground survey afterwards, or doppler on wheels estimates. If you have DOW estimates there will be a site investigation done as well I would expect.

One of the tornados was surrounded by about twenty storm chasers with equipment. Could they have doppler in the vans?
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby P.K. » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:13 pm

They are rather expensive so its only really for research purposes within universities etc. They look like this. I don't know how many there are in the USA, we don't have any in the UK though.

Matt, you really need to get a closer look at damaged structures than watching from a safe (If there is one with a TN that strong) distance.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tornado question

#6 Postby wxmann_91 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:44 pm

Cookiely wrote:I just finished watching a couple of movies on storm chasers and viewed some amazing tornados. My question is can you tell by looking at a tornado what F class it is because no one in the movie mentioned how powerful the tornados were. Is it determined by damage estimates?

No and yes.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:56 pm

Howard Bluestein and his student chasers deploy a much smaller Doppler for use at close ranges. Some chasers have adapted marine radars for their use, however they have run afoul of the Federal Communications Commission since they did not get the required licenses to operate and did not provide the required technical data to the FGG including RF energy exposure risk assessments.

Steve
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby NFLDART » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 am

Most estimates of a tornadoes palcement on the Fujita scale are done by post event investigation of the debri and damage fields. As a general rule of thumb though the larger the base, or wider the damage path the stronger the system.
0 likes   

WindRunner
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby WindRunner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:55 am

NFLDART wrote:Most estimates of a tornadoes palcement on the Fujita scale are done by post event investigation of the debri and damage fields. As a general rule of thumb though the larger the base, or wider the damage path the stronger the system.

No . . . that's a very bad rule. Generally, wider tornadoes will be stronger, but not all strong tornadoes will be wide. Following that could get you badly hurt or killed.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby brunota2003 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:27 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:Sure you can if it flatens a brink building or a steal inforced one then its a f5.
what if that building isnt properly secured to the ground? What if that building was old or improperly built? see, there is alot of variables that go into it...
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:11 pm

According to the latest requirements, a building that isn't properly secured to the ground can never receive an F5 rating.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12 Postby P.K. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:16 pm

WindRunner wrote:
NFLDART wrote:Most estimates of a tornadoes palcement on the Fujita scale are done by post event investigation of the debri and damage fields. As a general rule of thumb though the larger the base, or wider the damage path the stronger the system.

No . . . that's a very bad rule. Generally, wider tornadoes will be stronger, but not all strong tornadoes will be wide. Following that could get you badly hurt or killed.

Correct, it is dangerous to try to estimate strength from the width.

Have a look at http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/users/brooks/public_html/papers/lengthwidth.pdf although I've only read through parts of it quickly after finding it earlier.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby bob rulz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 pm

I've noticed that I can guess about how powerful it is within one F scale...I'm not always right, but it's not extremely hard to tell.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby isobar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:41 am

There is a possible way to visually measure wind speeds in a tornado. This formula was published by Tim Marshall.

V = 3.28 x D / 2 x T x 0.682

However below is a very simplified, approximated version of it:

V = D / T

V = Velocity in MPH
D = Diameter in feet
T = Time for 1/2 revolution in seconds

For example, if the tornado is 1300ft wide (1/4 mile) and a piece of debris along the funnel's edge takes 10 seconds to go from one side to the other, the wind speed is about 130 mph.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”