CPAC: INVEST 96C

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re: CPAC: INVEST 96C

#21 Postby AJC3 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:01 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
AJC3 wrote:After careful examination of the CIMSS 850MB vorticity analyses, I'll have to retract my original assessment. It appears that the remnant vortex did indeed become absorbed into a new low just to its north. It's not Lane after all, but still a STC that IMO briefly became fully tropical.

It's definitely not easy to assess. It appears that the remnant LLC became elongated, with two separate MLC's. I did look at the surface analyses and I was able to track the LLC all the way through (as a remnant low) but I'd need to see satellite images of that critical period. From what I could judge, the LLC simply retreated to the new MLC aloft (at 850) and pivoted to it, but remaining its own identity all the way through. I'm not sure what a similar analog in the Atlantic might be - Lee last year?

Still, I would argue it was tropical at least for a while (and may still be). The question is whether to extend Lane's ultimate track and cover it, or treat it as a separate unnamed storm.

Exactly. Regardless of from whence it came, it went from a STC to a TC, no doubt about that. It's just the genesis is a wee bit murky.
4 likes   

Return to “2018”