ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#201 Postby Buck » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm

mpic wrote:Do NOT want a hurricane, but just a little tropical wave wishcasting for East Texas. Burn bans up all over. Need some relief.

I'll wish cast that tropical rainstorm over here in Atlanta after it waters the ground in Texas. ;)
6 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#202 Postby Ken711 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 pm

1. A weak area of low pressure, associated with a tropical wave,
centered about 1200 miles east of the Lesser Antilles continues to
produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Some slow
development of this system is possible during the next two or three
days before upper-level winds become unfavorable for tropical
cyclone formation. This system is expected to move generally
westward across the tropical Atlantic Ocean for the next
several days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.
0 likes   

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#203 Postby Abdullah » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Why is everyone writing this storm off? It looks really good and I'm not sure why it isn't a tropical depression. On ASCAT it looks like the circulation is closed and there's persistent convection, both of which I have yet to see with the other two invests.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Abdullah wrote:Why is everyone writing this storm off? It looks really good and I'm not sure why it isn't a tropical depression. On ASCAT it looks like the circulation is closed and there's persistent convection, both of which I have yet to see with the other two invests.

Convection is back on the increase. overnight should give this a good run.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Abdullah wrote:Why is everyone writing this storm off? It looks really good and I'm not sure why it isn't a tropical depression. On ASCAT it looks like the circulation is closed and there's persistent convection, both of which I have yet to see with the other two invests.

Extremely disorganized too much dry air, and zero model support (unlike pre-Dorian there's not even a vigorous wind shift)
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#206 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Convection refiring SW of where it was during the day.
Its still connected to the ITCZ.
Chances increasing it'll be a Carib Runner
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#207 Postby abajan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Patrick99 wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:Seems some of us (and NHC with its drastic lowering of probabilities) may have got a little too impatient with this invest.

I feel like there is always this tendency here to either want to ramp it up to a Cat 5 in a day and a half, or call for its outright dissipation - when the reality is typically somewhere in between. I probably won't ever forget those who were thinking Dorian would flat-out spin down into nothing, in the Caribbean.

Indeed. The first 10 pages of the Dorian discussion thread make for interesting reading.
Anyway, we'll see what 94L does. To be honest, I don't know what to make of it.
5 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#208 Postby abajan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 pm

mpic wrote:Do NOT want a hurricane, but just a little tropical wave wishcasting for East Texas. Burn bans up all over. Need some relief.

We in Barbados are also hoping it brings us much needed rain. So far, this has been one of the driest years in recent times. During the last few days, some parts of the island have had flooding from localized thunderstorms, but most of the island is in a rainfall deficit.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#209 Postby abajan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Abdullah wrote:Why is everyone writing this storm off? ...

Well, for starters, it's not a storm. :lol:
4 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#210 Postby GeneratorPower » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 pm

abajan wrote:

We in Barbados are also hoping it brings us much needed rain. So far, this has been one of the driest years in recent times. During the last few days, some parts of the island have had flooding from localized thunderstorms, but most of the island is in a rainfall deficit.

Barbados being dry seems to mirror the entire Atlantic basin.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:31 pm

New ASCAT is coming in the next few hours and I suspect there will be a better-defined circ given the convective pattern.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#212 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:33 pm

850 / 700 mb vorts were far removed from surface low earlier today.
Looks like they are lining up better now.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#213 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Brand new ASCAT... as I suspected.. much much better defined ( well defined) circ and now with convection building all around it... it should make a good run. plenty of moisture low shear.

Last edited by Aric Dunn on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#214 Postby N2FSU » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Patrick99 wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:Seems some of us (and NHC with its drastic lowering of probabilities) may have got a little too impatient with this invest.

I feel like there is always this tendency here to either want to ramp it up to a Cat 5 in a day and a half, or call for its outright dissipation - when the reality is typically somewhere in between. I probably won't ever forget those who were thinking Dorian would flat-out spin down into nothing, in the Caribbean.

Including some of the most respected members on here.
5 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#215 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Looks a lot more defined today compared to yesterday. This should start taking off soon.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Buck wrote:

I'll wish cast that tropical rainstorm over here in Atlanta after it waters the ground in Texas. ;)

I'll definitely +1 that request
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#217 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:19 pm

N2FSU wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:

Not that I'm respected, but I've always said it is those persistent circulations that keep fighting and dont completely fall apart will be the ones to take off when they find a good environment...I said that with Dorian, and it applies with this one too...its just got to find better conditions
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#218 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm

N2FSU wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:

There was good reason to think it wouldn't make it out of the Caribbean. The setup wasn't favorable but it took the easterly route and found a sweet spot.
3 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#219 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
N2FSU wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:

Not that I'm respected, but I've always said it is those persistent circulations that keep fighting and dont completely fall apart will be the ones to take off when they find a good environment...I said that with Dorian, and it applies with this one too...its just got to find better conditions
We respect you
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#220 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Dryline type of convection firing to the west of the CoC.
Mid-level moist air over riding boundary layer dry air creating strong lift.
Much the same type seen in west TX and OK creating EF4 and EF5 tornadoes.
Could see some strong mesovorts / votical hot towers fire off here.
1 likes   

Return to “2019”