ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#21 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:3rd storm already?

2005 again?

I hope not.

Not sure if you guys remember that year. Was wild...we had Dennis as a Cat 3 in july

Remember, 2005 had zero pre-season storms. On the other hand, 2012 and 2016 were both ahead of 2005 at the end of June. Early activity just doesn't say much about the season as a whole.
6 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#22 Postby Dean_175 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Monsoonjr99 wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:3rd storm already?

2005 again?

I hope not.

Not sure if you guys remember that year. Was wild...we had Dennis as a Cat 3 in july

Remember, 2005 had zero pre-season storms. On the other hand, 2012 and 2016 were both ahead of 2005 at the end of June. Early activity just doesn't say much about the season as a whole.

This exactly - two (or even 3) short lived weak storms that all formed from “not-entirely-tropical” origin does not say anything about the rest of the season. Sure, it uses up some names- but a weak low that just happens to spin up (if it does) into a subtropical storm in May does not really reflect the frequency and type of development you will see later in the year. These are classic May tropical/subtropical storms....weak , often short lived, and not of complete tropical origin.

Remember 2013 was not unusual so much in the number of storms but in the low number of significant storms. If we start getting cat4s and 5s in July like we did in 2005 then we can all talk more about it.
2 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby EquusStorm » Fri May 29, 2020 5:58 pm

I would really love for this to briefly be Cristobal just to break the record for most preseason storms since it's in the middle of nowhere but not much of a window of time to do that. It's ridiculous that THREE seasons in just the last eight years have had not just preseason storms but multiple preseason storms. Clearly 'hurricane season' is far more a concept than a rule.
4 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 29, 2020 6:11 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby johngaltfla » Fri May 29, 2020 6:19 pm

If it does develop, that will be absolutely incredible. And a not so good omen for the real season. Just wow. :eek:
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm

The llc has moved into the divergent region of the uppper low.

Recent convection and a small feeder band indicating that it is very close to being a STS.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Hammy » Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Discussion didn't really say anything new, felt a bit like filler until new scatterometer data arrives as the current set is now well out of date given the organization trend.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby aspen » Fri May 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Looks significantly better to my untrained eye. How likely is it that this becomes a STC within the next day given this trend?
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri May 29, 2020 8:43 pm

If the circulation can tighten up overnight and convection persists, we'll probably have SS Cristobal tomorrow a whopping 86 days prior to its 2014 version.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri May 29, 2020 9:02 pm

aspen wrote:Looks significantly better to my untrained eye. How likely is it that this becomes a STC within the next day given this trend?

Yeah, woah, this tightened up fast. If it just separates a bit more from the ULL to its west it could easily be a STS.
0 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri May 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Having three named storms prior to June 1st just doesn’t say much in regards to how to season unfolds in my opinion. Especially considering Arthur, Bertha, and potential-Cristobal were short lived.

Now if we get a rare hurricane in June below 30°N that’ll be impressive and alarming.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby aspen » Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Having three named storms prior to June 1st just doesn’t say much in regards to how to season unfolds in my opinion. Especially considering Arthur, Bertha, and potential-Cristobal were short lived.

Now if we get a rare hurricane in June below 30°N that’ll be impressive and alarming.

Well then, let’s hope the Euro doesn’t get its way with that potential basin-crosser.

If Cristobal does form, it could hint that the subtropics might be quite active again this year, meaning we could end up with more total named storms than anticipated like 2019. I don’t think anyone expected all those little systems popping up all over the place last October.

If both the subtropics and the Gulf/western Caribbean see enhanced activity this year, perhaps there’s a shot of exhausting this season’s name list.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 pm

This system is almost certianly a STS at this point.. but without at least ASCAT .. given the nature... will never be upgraded. just because.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby EquusStorm » Fri May 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Wow, yeah that ramped up pretty fast. Really want to see some records set here since it's not affecting much.

I'd not say even record preseason activity would indicate such a pace would continue; reminder that 2004 didn't get going til August rolled in and the first five storms of 2017 were the weakest first five storms in ACE on record, while the super early activity swarms of 1968 and 1997 fell apart and turned into a very benign season shortly after their spree of early activity. HOWEVER we're still probably on track for a highly active season, just not necessarily correlated to this May outbreak.
2 likes   

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Hammy » Fri May 29, 2020 9:53 pm

EquusStorm wrote:Wow, yeah that ramped up pretty fast. Really want to see some records set here since it's not affecting much.

I'd not say even record preseason activity would indicate such a pace would continue; reminder that 2004 didn't get going til August rolled in and the first five storms of 2017 were the weakest first five storms in ACE on record, while the super early activity swarms of 1968 and 1997 fell apart and turned into a very benign season shortly after their spree of early activity. HOWEVER we're still probably on track for a highly active season, just not necessarily correlated to this May outbreak.

Interestingly both of those were El Nino years, which this year isn't expected to be.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby EquusStorm » Fri May 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Such a combination of extreme early activity AND not an El Nino year seems a great way to get very close to the end of the name list. Makes me think we see Rene for the first time at the very least.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri May 29, 2020 10:17 pm

brand new ascat..

I would say that is pretty darn close for a STS .. if not already a STS>

0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 pm

Winds are well past the classification criteria... but it's still all tied up in that trough.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri May 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:

Winds are well past the classification criteria... but it's still all tied up in that trough.

thats what makes it a "Sub Tropical Storm" we needed a well defined circ..
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby EquusStorm » Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Reminds me a little of Arlene 2017. If we get a very well defined closed circ and convection doesn't die off up there, I'd say this is about the best shot at a third May storm we've ever had.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”