Charley Advisories

Moderator: S2k Moderators

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2381 Postby crazycajuncane » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:00 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Hou~TX~Mama wrote:Those photos are unbelievable. It amazes me how one house can be totally destroyed and the house next to it will be untouched.

Indeed it is amazing. I think that sometimes this is due to a tornado coming through also. Again I will allow someone with more knowledge to correct me here, but there are usually quite a few small tornadoes accompanying landfall hurricanes, especially to the right of the eye. I know during Alicia we had two confirmed tornadoes just in my neighborhood.

It was a lot to do with bursts of winds and pockets of extremely fast moving air. We live in a neighborhood with two streets, then a field on each side. The street facing the south got more damage during Lili, but our street was shielded by their street and got far less damage. It was weird going to the other street and seeing uprooted trees, but our street was almost untouched. I agree with the tornadoes as well, but it's mostly pockets of fast moving air and the way the houses are facing, what they are made of and just pure good luck :D
0 likes   

JTD
Category 5
Category 5

Was Charley a Cape Verde Hurricane?

#2382 Postby JTD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:11 pm

Charley formed in the eastern carribean, right? Or is that wrong.

So, thus, was it a cape verde storm anyway? Or was it just an EC storm.

Sorry for this stupid question. I know how stupid it does sound.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#2383 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:14 pm

It depends upon your definition

If you use the definition of anything forming from a tropicla wave being a CV storm, then yes. Then again, using that definition, Mitch and Camielle were also CV storms, which I have not seen them classified as such.

Personally, I use the definition of a CV storm being a system that forms east of 40W and south of 20N (north of 20N are Canary Islands storms, which are usially of non-tropical nature, like Peter last year)
0 likes   

JTD
Category 5
Category 5

#2384 Postby JTD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:17 pm

Thanks Derek.
0 likes   

#2385 Postby Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:35 pm

I have two terms for CV storms, direct and indirect. In my category, Charley is an indirect, forming past half way through the atlantic. Isabelle was a direct CV storm, forming very close to the islands.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Preliminary hurricane Charley report from Tampa WSFO

#2386 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:45 pm

SouthernWx wrote:I found this quite interesting....especially a couple of peak gusts recorded from the Punta Gorda area....173 mph (150 kt) atop Charlotte Medical Center and 160 mph (139 kt) at Charlotte County airport (with both anemometers destroyed...so even higher gusts likely occurred).

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=TBWPSHTBW

I wonder exactly what the height of the anemometers where off the ground ... the Airport MIGHT be (ironically) the more viable one, although, the wind gauge may be higher off the ground than the NWS standard. I always adjust downward to a degree when ANY anemometer is atop a rooftop (wind channels, wind funneling, etc.)

To quantify some thoughts, however, I don't doubt for one second that those PK wind gusts could have been achieved ...

First off, a rapidly intensifying storm (still ongoing, and in the process of starting an eyewall replacement cycle) ...

Second, MAX STSND WINDS of 145 mph ... on average GUSTS to 170 MPH can be expected ...

Very interesting findings ...

SF
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#2387 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:52 pm

Winds in Cuba MAY have been higher than origionally thought (though nothing confirmed yet. We may see some revisions to the intensity once the final best track is completed
0 likes   

Matthew5
Category 5
Category 5

#2388 Postby Matthew5 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:55 pm

Derek, what is the highest wind gust you know of in Florida out of Charley?
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#2389 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:57 pm

highest gust I have heard is 180 m.p.h.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2390 Postby Brent » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:22 pm

IMO, no. If Charley was a CV storm, then so was Bonnie. I consider a CV system something that forms at least 500 miles east of the Islands like Fabian and Isabel.
0 likes   
#neversummer

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#2391 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:04 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:highest gust I have heard is 180 m.p.h.

What about sustained?
0 likes   

cape_escape
Category 2
Category 2

#2392 Postby cape_escape » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:57 am

SouthernWx, thank you for posting an answer to my question. I am new to all of this, but am very interested in learning anything and everything I can about the weather. I really believe this board has a lot to do with my family and I being safe during Charley, as I was glued to this board and took the warnings I read here to heart. Thank you all for being here!
0 likes   

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2393 Postby MWatkins » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:15 am

Brent wrote:IMO, no. If Charley was a CV storm, then so was Bonnie. I consider a CV system something that forms at least 500 miles east of the Islands like Fabian and Isabel.

Gonna hafta go against the grain here.

Charley was purely of tropical origin...developing from a westward moving tropical wave that maintained a distinct identity since propogating from the Africian coast.

Just because it did not develop east of some arbitrary number does not change that. So no question in my book that Charley = Cape Verde.

However...Bonnie is different. Although the same weather system that was TD2 became Bonnie...redevelopment was the result of some baroclinic interation and not a pure tropical type of development.

So although they both came from the same place...one maintained a distinct identity and one did not. So Bonnie does not make a Cape Verde classification IMHO...although the origins were somewhat connected.

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2394 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:33 am

And dont forget Earl which came out of africa as a wave and developed east of the islands.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

rbaker

#2395 Postby rbaker » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:42 am

i have to go with derek on this one a cape verde storm usually already is a td by the time it gets to 40 long or 50 for sure, and had a low pressure with it when it left africa. Also, typical cv storms form during the aug 15-sep15 time frame, which is why they call it the cape verde season, and makes the long trek over the atlantic.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2396 Postby Brent » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:21 am

MWatkins wrote:
Brent wrote:IMO, no. If Charley was a CV storm, then so was Bonnie. I consider a CV system something that forms at least 500 miles east of the Islands like Fabian and Isabel.

Charley was purely of tropical origin...developing from a westward moving tropical wave that maintained a distinct identity since propogating from the Africian coast.

Just because it did not develop east of some arbitrary number does not change that. So no question in my book that Charley = Cape Verde.

However...Bonnie is different. Although the same weather system that was TD2 became Bonnie...redevelopment was the result of some baroclinic interation and not a pure tropical type of development.

So although they both came from the same place...one maintained a distinct identity and one did not. So Bonnie does not make a Cape Verde classification IMHO...although the origins were somewhat connected.

MW

That makes sense. I just don't think Charley was a CV storm. :)
0 likes   
#neversummer

vacanechaser
Category 5
Category 5

#2397 Postby vacanechaser » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:00 pm

MWatkins wrote:

MW

I would have to agree with you Mike.. Charley and Bonnie were both storms of Cape Verde origin.. We followed them for sometime.. Maybe not a true "Cape Verde" storm but certainly Cape Verde origin...
0 likes   
Jesse V. Bass III
http://www.vastormphoto.com
Hurricane Intercept Research Team

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

Inmates are missing following hurricane Charley

#2398 Postby chadtm80 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:15 pm

Tampa Bay's channel 10 news reports that 27 prisoners have failed to return to the Pinellas County jail, after being released prior to the the arrival of hurricane Charlie.
They were told to return in four days, and some have not made it back as yet.
Some nasty-looking mug shots of the missing people are here:

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=9615

Uhhhhh.. Is this normal practice? Release prisoners when a storm is coming? lol
0 likes   

#2399 Postby Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:20 pm

lol what a stupid decision on the part of the authorities.
0 likes   

Thunder44
Category 5
Category 5

#2400 Postby Thunder44 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:27 pm

They should not let imates that have committed violent crimes on the loose. They should of just find them a safer place to evacuate them too. This is just stupid.
0 likes   

Return to “2004”