Charley Advisories

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Derek Ortt

#2401 Postby Derek Ortt » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:33 pm

wouldnt the jail be the safest place for them because it would be one of the best built structures?
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#2402 Postby Stormsfury » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:38 pm

Thunder44 wrote:They should not let imates that have committed violent crimes on the loose. They should of just find them a safer place to evacuate them too. This is just stupid.

Uh, actually ... the ONES that ARE REALLY guilty (not falsely convicted), well, why not leave them there ... might actually do them some good to understand the power of God ...

SF
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#2403 Postby Stormsfury » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:44 pm

I would have to agree with you Mike.. Charley and Bonnie were both storms of Cape Verde origin.. We followed them for sometime.. Maybe not a true "Cape Verde" storm but certainly Cape Verde origin...

That's a good statement right there ...

For technicality's sake, the only CV STORM this year so far is Danielle ... but as for the seasonal call of truer (pure and deeper latitude) TC's, so far, my call's looking good...

SF
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2404 Postby jlauderdal » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Stormsfury wrote:
Thunder44 wrote:They should not let imates that have committed violent crimes on the loose. They should of just find them a safer place to evacuate them too. This is just stupid.

Uh, actually ... the ONES that ARE REALLY guilty (not falsely convicted), well, why not leave them there ... might actually do them some good to understand the power of God ...

SF

Well guilty is guilty. My recommendation would be put em all on the second floor and let the guards return when it is safe. They should be safe up there. A thinning of the prison population wouldn't be all bad anyway. so basically the prisoners received better treatment than the paying customers of some nursing homes. and some people want to investigate nhc...pleazzzz.
0 likes   

Thunder44
Category 5
Category 5

#2405 Postby Thunder44 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Stormsfury wrote:

SF

That's not a bad idea either, but unfortunately we live in a humane society. :lol:
0 likes   

OklahomaWeather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2406 Postby OklahomaWeather » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:17 pm

Ok, that is seriously disturbing!
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

#2407 Postby Windsong » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:18 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:wouldnt the jail be the safest place for them because it would be one of the best built structures?

Usually, this is a true statement. I wonder what Pinellas County was THINKING when they built the jail in a low lying area. If PLAN B is unleashing criminals back into society, there is something fundementally wrong here. Come back in 4 days? What did they expect?

Denise
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#2408 Postby x-y-no » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:43 pm

I like the nose on this guy:

Actually, though, this might not be quite as stupid as it sounds. This was county jail, not prison, so the inmates there would either be awaiting trial or have misdemeanor convictions at worst.

I would guess that the ones released were those considered the lowest risk. And apparently, 229 of them did come back.
0 likes   

caneman

#2409 Postby caneman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:45 pm

Yes, Pinellas County Jail floods quite frequently. These inmates were short-timers and only had days left on their sentences. Stupid for them not to come back as they will now be charged and have more time added to their sentences.
0 likes   

califas

stupid

#2410 Postby califas » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:30 pm

caneman wrote:Yes, Pinellas County Jail floods quite frequently. These inmates were short-timers and only had days left on their sentences. Stupid for them not to come back as they will now be charged and have more time added to their sentences.

Wow. Yeah, that was a stupid idea on the part of pinellas.
0 likes   

caneman

Re: stupid

#2411 Postby caneman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:38 pm

califas wrote:
caneman wrote:Yes, Pinellas County Jail floods quite frequently. These inmates were short-timers and only had days left on their sentences. Stupid for them not to come back as they will now be charged and have more time added to their sentences.

Wow. Yeah, that was a stupid idea on the part of pinellas.

From what I understand Pinellas has to allow them out as part of evacuation area. These were people with just days left on their sentences anyhow so it made it easier on the county to just release these people and have them come back to serve the minimal days they had left. It is foolish for the convicts not to come back as they were almost out anyhow and will now have more time added to their sentences.
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

#2412 Postby Windsong » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:35 pm

x-y-no wrote:I like the nose on this guy:

Actually, though, this might not be quite as stupid as it sounds. This was county jail, not prison, so the inmates there would either be awaiting trial or have misdemeanor convictions at worst.

I would guess that the ones released were those considered the lowest risk. And apparently, 229 of them did come back.

Did they release everyone or just those mentioned. If they released everyone, then you can bet there are convicted felons included. Many times felons are kept in county jails because of the length of the sentence (usually one year or less) These felonies range from car theft to battery, drug charges and domestic violence.

If they did NOT release everyone, then how did they choose who could go, and who would stay and possible die from the hurricane.

Sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea at all. Pinellias County needs to move their jail.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#2413 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:53 pm

I saw some prisoners on the local media (Orlando market), I believe from one of the Orange County Correctional Institutions clearing Hurricane Charley debris.
This is obviously another issue...
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

#2414 Postby Windsong » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:10 pm

Coldfront, those are probably jail trustees. They are inmates that are convicted of usually victimless crimes and are considered low risk. They are under guard at all times and are transported to and from the jail by van. They are never allowed out of the work area and are not free to wander around, unlike the general release in Pinellias county.

The south still uses "chain gangs" from what I understand, but I haven't seen one in years. These are the more dangerous inmates, and they stand under armed guard and are chained together.
0 likes   

cape_escape
Category 2
Category 2

#2415 Postby cape_escape » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:04 am

That is scary! I can't believe they would do such a thing!
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#2416 Postby ColdFront77 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:07 am

Windsong wrote:Coldfront, those are probably jail trustees. They are inmates that are convicted of usually victimless crimes and are considered low risk. They are under guard at all times and are transported to and from the jail by van. They are never allowed out of the work area and are not free to wander around, unlike the general release in Pinellias county.

Indeed, Windsong. I have heard of jail trustees. That is what the ones that were on local news must of been.
0 likes   

cape_escape
Category 2
Category 2

Charley pictures from Cape Coral

#2417 Postby cape_escape » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:26 am

I just got back my pictures today, so I made a webpage out of them. If anyone is interested its at:

http://www.geocities.com/crispkellym/hu ... arley.html

I have shots of the storm coming in, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, The Yacht Club, and will be adding ones from Punta Gord after I get them back.

Anyhow, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing them.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2418 Postby george_r_1961 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:21 am

Sam i grew up in Hampton..live in Newport News now. Lived in Buckroe for a while...had some good times there!
0 likes   

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#2419 Postby chris_fit » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:49 am

Sweet pics! Thanks!
0 likes   

Return to “2004”