...Gaston continues to weaken...

at 5 PM EDT...2100z...the Tropical Storm Warning is discontinued
south of the South Santee River South Carolina. A Tropical Storm
Warning remains in effect from the South Santee River to Little
River Inlet South Carolina. This warning will likely be lowered
later this evening.

At 5 PM EDT...2100z...the center of Tropical Storm Gaston was
located near latitude 33.9 north... longitude 79.6 west or about 80
miles... 130 km... north-northeast of Charleston South Carolina.

Gaston is moving toward the north near 8 mph...and a northward to
north-northeastward motion is expected over the next 24 hours. On
this track the center will continue moving over eastern South
Carolina this evening and over North Carolina later tonight and
early Monday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph... 65 km/hr...with higher
gusts. Gaston should weaken to a tropical depression later this
evening.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 70 miles southeast
of the center.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 1000 mb...29.53 inches.
Rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches...with locally higher amounts...
are expected in association with Gaston.

Isolated tornadoes are possible today over northeastern South
Carolina and southeastern North Carolina.

Repeating the 5 PM EDT position...33.9 N... 79.6 W. Movement
toward...north near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds... 40 mph.
Minimum central pressure...1000 mb.

For storm information specific to your area...please monitor
products issued by your local weather office.

An intermediate public advisory will be issued by the National
Hurricane Center at 8 PM EDT...followed by a regular public advisory
at 11 PM EDT issued by the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center...
under AWIPS header tcpat2 and wmo header wtnt32 kwnh.
0 likes   
#neversummer

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#422 Postby WeatherEmperor » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 pm

Good. I hope it dies and heads on out to sea right away.

<RICKY>
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Gaston Aftermath Photos, and Radar/Satellite imagery ...

#423 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Added a ton of updates today with Tropical Storm Gaston coming ashore today ...

Preliminary storm damage reports indicate that Gaston was a pretty significant tropical storm, which damage may exceed Floyd's brush in 1999 ...

http://www.stormsfury1.com

(14 photos of Aftermath Pictures located in the Weather Pictures section)
(Satellite imagery, and loops, along with a 59 frame radar loop of Gaston's landfall in Tropical Weather-Archived Information, 2004 Tropical Images/Movies) ...

If anyone from the Charleston area has photos of aftermath of Gaston, and wishes to submit those to me, you can submit them to me at webmaster@stormsfury1.com ... please limit photo sizes to 640x480 ...

SF
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#424 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 pm

I do not see the pics SF!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#425 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:51 pm

Lindaloo wrote:I do not see the pics SF!

Are you on the right page? If so, refresh your browser ... on the frames version, use the scroll feature on the left window and scroll down to the bottom, the pictures should be there ...

On the Tropical Weather-Archived Information Section, use the right toolbar to for 2004 Tropical Images/Movies for the satellite pictures ...

Also on the Weather Pictures, you can go to the NON-Frames version, and it's there also ...
0 likes   

Tempest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#426 Postby Tempest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:29 pm

I saw that fantastic rainbow last night too...one of the ONLY times that I didn't have my digital camera with me! I was probably the best one I've seen in years. :D

You should have gone up to Moncks Corner after the storm. They really got hammered, and so much floooding. They have a lot of damage to power lines from the trees falling.

Don't want to be pessimistic but tonight we drove to Lowes in Summerville and bought the next to the last generator. Seconds later a guy bought the last one. Several people came in looking for more. I think they're gonna be a hot item this week all along the EC.

Don't want to EVER do another couple of weeks without electric like after Hugo!
0 likes   

krisj
Category 1
Category 1

#427 Postby krisj » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:45 am

We just got our power back up and I am downloading pics now. We had HUGE trees fall all over our neighborhood. THese are trees that are probably 300 yrs old. One fell onto my backyard neighbors garage and house. Trees were blocking roads everywhere. When I get some pics resized I may send them to you. THe damage in my neighborhood was incredible. I can now really appreciate and understand the pain and frustrations from those who are direct hits of hurricanes. This little, okay, not so little, tropical storm was much much worse than I ever expected or could imagine. I just checked my pics and I have some good ones of the damage behind our house.
0 likes   

krisj
Category 1
Category 1

What I learned as a newbie in Charleston from Gaston....

#428 Postby krisj » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:07 am

Bonnie came and went. SHe was a decent storm.
Charley came and went as a Cat 1. Lots of wind and sticks and some downed trees. We had time to prepare and we were ready. SOme of my friends even left town.
THen comes Gaston. NOt much said until Friday because after all, it was just a tropical storm.
Well, Gaston taught me many lessons.
1. ALWAYS be prepared during hurricane season. You won't necessarly get weeks of watching a storm to prepare before it hits.
2. WHen you are in the eye wall of s storm, it is SO much worse than when it passes to the side of you. 70+ mph winds DO do alot of damage.
3. Electricity WILL go out and you may not be able to get out of your neighborhood, much less drive to a store for supplies. And they would be out of them anyway.
4.Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and you have numbers of your relatives somewhere else than on your computer or dead cell phone. It is frustrating not to contact family members to let them know you are okay and they worry when they can't get hold of you.
5. Don't fill up your freezer during hurricane season. It is a waste of money.
6.A box with food that doesn't need to be cooked is a good idea. Kids can only eat so many melted popcicles.

Really though, our neighbors had a huge, probably 300 yr old tree fall on their house and garage. It feel right onto their bedroom where they had been only 5 min earlier. The tree fell over roots and all. I didn't realize trees could do that during a tropical storm. Trees fell on cars and porches.

The most important thing I learned though is to take EVERY hurricane and tropical storm seriously. After Charley came through Charleston I thought a Cat 1 was a piece of cake and that a 2 wouldn't be much worse. I thought if a hurricane ever came through again that I would stay for anything 2 and under. It wasn't THAT bad. I knew Charley in FL was bad, but I guess I never fully appreciated how bad. Gaston was a minor inconvenience compared to stronger hurricanes. I learned you can never know the full impact and when the storm is upon you it is too late to change your mind.
I will get prepared today in case any tropical storm or hurricane comes our way. I will no longer take hurricanes and storms lightly.
I pray for whoever has to deal with Frances because it will be 10x at least worst than Gaston and Gaston was enough to scare me, shake some sense into me and bring me to the reality that these storms are something to ALWAYS take seriously. You just never know what may happen.
0 likes   

TLHR

#429 Postby TLHR » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:18 am

Excellent post!

Things do NOT look good for the Carolinas. So start preparing for the worst NOW.

-Make sure you have a full tank of gas at all times.
-Apply Rain-X or some other rain-repellent to all of your car's windows.
-Have at least 2 gallons of water per person per day for 5 to 7 days (One for drinking and one for flushing your toilette.)
-Invest in a generator if you have the means. These will go quickly now that the word about Frances is starting to get out.
-Get plywood now, if you plan on boarding up your windows.
-Get plastic drop cloths for covering up items as your roof will most likely leak.
-Have non-perishible food for 5 - 7 days. (Think camping.)
-Have a means to cook food and boil water. (Think camping)
-HAVE CASH IN YOUR WALLET. ATM's will be down.
-Have an evacuation plan. Go south and/or west of the storm's projected path. Find out the alternative routes. Interstates get clogged easily. Make hotel reservations early.
-Do not waste valuable time taping your windows. Tape is not going to stop a projectile traveling at 75 mph.
- Battery operated fans are a godsend when power goes out. Get plently of batteries too.
- Use glowsticks instead of flashlights to see at night. Conserve your batteries.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.

Also, in light of Frances' projected path, I'm keeping the Links Section to my Yahoo Group open to the public. Click on the WWW :darrow: below.
0 likes   

Cyclone Runner
Category 1
Category 1

#430 Postby Cyclone Runner » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:23 am

It is very nice to see some very decent and responsible posts like these instead of a few of those more unfortunate irresponsible posts that have occurred this morning (or this evening Australia time). :wink:

Big Thanks krisj and TLHR :D :D
0 likes   

TLHR

#431 Postby TLHR » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:24 am

Now that the ground is super-saturated, I'm sure many many trees will fall from Frances.
0 likes   

brubert
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#432 Postby brubert » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:46 am

I will second those recommendations. We had a horrible time when Isabel came through last September and the highest wind gusts were "only" 35-40 MPH. Trees were, and still are, down everywhere and we had one right on our house. I would also recommend having some good plywood inside your house. We needed it to board up a sliding glass door against the rain while the storm was still blowing. Also a staple gun and plastic sheeting come in handy. I hope and pray that Frances will go away for everybody's sake.
0 likes   

Thunder44
Category 5
Category 5

Gaston a TS again?

#433 Postby Thunder44 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:00 am

I was looking on NRL site I found that they have the winds there at 40kts with a pressure of 998mb. It's over land but do you all think the NHC is watching this for redevelopment again?

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html
0 likes   

krisj
Category 1
Category 1

#434 Postby krisj » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:12 am

TLHR, your link thing isn't working for me.
0 likes   

TLHR

#435 Postby TLHR » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:34 am

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TLHR

Also, Baby wipes.

I know it sounds weird, but if your shower isn't working, you can use baby wipes to freshen yourself up.

Latest models do NOT look good for South Carolina.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... model.html
0 likes   

krisj
Category 1
Category 1

#436 Postby krisj » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:38 am

Thanks! That model isn't too reassuring.
0 likes   

New Englander
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Gaston Soon To be Over Water.

#437 Postby New Englander » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:15 pm

Gaston will be over the water again soon. Should be interesting to see what happens. With its track over Cape Cod i think we around the SE mass area should keep an eye on it just incase.
0 likes   

Hyperstorm
Category 5
Category 5

#438 Postby Hyperstorm » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:27 pm

Gaston is going to move back over water later tonight and I believe it has a fairly high chance of redeveloping to a tropical storm. The system should brush the Cape Cod area if it continues the current track. There's no way that Gaston and Hermine will combine and become one entity...
0 likes   

Hyperstorm
Category 5
Category 5

#439 Postby Hyperstorm » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:29 pm

Gaston is going to move back over water later tonight and I believe it has a fairly high chance of redeveloping to a tropical storm. The system should brush the Cape Cod area if it continues the current track. There's no way that Gaston and Hermine will combine and become one entity...
0 likes   

Hyperstorm
Category 5
Category 5

#440 Postby Hyperstorm » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:30 pm

0 likes   

Return to “2004”