ATL: JOSEPHINE - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: JOSEPHINE - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#561 Postby Kazmit » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Hmm... shear dropping? Would be another major bust for the models.
5 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#562 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Kazmit wrote:Hmm... shear dropping? Would be another major bust for the models.

they already have been a big bust.. it was not even supposed to make it this far.... most never even remotely developed it.
9 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#563 Postby StruThiO » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:10 pm

2 likes   

icallstorms
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#564 Postby icallstorms » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 pm

GCANE wrote:Those strat-cumulus clouds spewing out the NW side is filling in the dry slot nicely.
Should get a nice bump up in CAPE tomorrow as it approaches warmer waters.
If convection fires off then, NW of the CoC, the anticyclone will likely rotate there and Joe will track into it.
A TC tracking into an anticyclone usually brings about strengthening.

Has anyone seen “Bones”?!? :lol:
3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#565 Postby GCANE » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:18 pm

The 355K PV Ring is improving.
All those UL vorts surrounding Joe are reinforcing anticyclonic venting.
What Joe really needs is a good shot of LL, high-moisture air.
May come later tomorrow.
Will be tracking into higher CAPE air due to higher temp water.
And may start to tap into some south Carib, high TPW air.

2 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#566 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:20 pm

There isn't some obscure feature shearing Josephine as it moves west-northwest. TUTTs are very easy for models to see and it is very clear to see why globals unanimously dissipate the storm in the short term. That shear, currently assessed at 12kt by SHIPS, nearly triples to 34kt by 36hr. That will be destructive to Josephine on its own, but the SW shear vector will also inject extremely dry air into the circulation.

Don't let the storm's current presentation fool you. It may organize some over the next few hours, but this does not have a long life ahead of it.
8 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#567 Postby GCANE » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

icallstorms wrote:
GCANE wrote:Those strat-cumulus clouds spewing out the NW side is filling in the dry slot nicely.
Should get a nice bump up in CAPE tomorrow as it approaches warmer waters.
If convection fires off then, NW of the CoC, the anticyclone will likely rotate there and Joe will track into it.
A TC tracking into an anticyclone usually brings about strengthening.

Has anyone seen “Bones”?!? :lol:

Went to Sick Bay
5 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#568 Postby ozonepete » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:There isn't some obscure feature shearing Josephine as it moves west-northwest. TUTTs are very easy for models to see and it is very clear to see why globals unanimously dissipate the storm in the short term. That shear, currently assessed at 12kt by SHIPS, nearly triples to 34kt by 36hr. That will be destructive to Josephine on its own, but the SW shear vector will also inject extremely dry air into the circulation.

Don't let the storm's current presentation fool you. It may organize some over the next few hours, but this does not have a long life ahead of it.

Don't let every TUTT's presentation fool you and remember that many who live by the models die by them. :wink:
TUTTs often enhance upper outflow for a TC and then lift out and/or weaken, leaving behind a stronger storm. But your points are well taken and we will see how they work out in the next 24-48 hours.
12 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#569 Postby Nimbus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:47 pm

18Z models seem to be showing weakening by the time Josephine exits the Hebert box.
She would have to strengthen quite a bit to change the shear environment and that hasn't been seen in her history.
Higher CAPE values might make a difference and she has looked worse during the diurnal minimum.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#570 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Nimbus wrote:18Z models seem to be showing weakening by the time Josephine exits the Hebert box.
She would have to strengthen quite a bit to change the shear environment and that hasn't been seen in her history.
Higher CAPE values might make a difference and she has looked worse during the diurnal minimum.

if we hugged the models 100 percent.. we never would have Josephine at all.. and it also would have died 2 days ago..
10 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#571 Postby Nimbus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Nimbus wrote:18Z models seem to be showing weakening by the time Josephine exits the Hebert box.

if we hugged the models 100 percent.. we never would have Josephine at all.. and it also would have died 2 days ago..

But its the dynamic solution that is less probable, CAPE values strengthening Josephine enough to effect the shear environment might only have a 10 percent chance of verifying.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#572 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Nimbus wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

But its the dynamic solution that is less probable, CAPE values strengthening Josephine enough to effect the shear environment might only have a 10 percent chance of verifying.

I was not saying this will all of a sudden deepen and force the shear axis..

point was.. models have been showing for two, almost 3 days it opening up 12 to 24 hours after each model run....

but here we are again and again..

I mentioned earlier.. that the most likely scenario is that... it keeps producing pulses of deep convection ... as a lot of systems do in divergent shear. they dont die.. they just maintain as a sheared mess.
7 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#573 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:07 pm

GCANE wrote:
GCANE wrote:
tiger_deF wrote:

I've always loved the diversity of opinion on here

They are high-altitude strat-cumulus clouds.
If you look at ice/snow imagery, you can see ice/snow coming off the top of some of them.

Can also tell the anticyclone is to the SW

https://i.imgur.com/MvYvRbH.png

What is it that you have circled here?
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#574 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:There isn't some obscure feature shearing Josephine as it moves west-northwest. TUTTs are very easy for models to see and it is very clear to see why globals unanimously dissipate the storm in the short term. That shear, currently assessed at 12kt by SHIPS, nearly triples to 34kt by 36hr. That will be destructive to Josephine on its own, but the SW shear vector will also inject extremely dry air into the circulation.

Isn’t there a decent chance that in 36 hrs the shear could’ve moved on?
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#575 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:

If we hugged models 100% we may have missed half the storms this season
8 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#576 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Nimbus wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

I was not saying this will all of a sudden deepen and force the shear axis..

point was.. models have been showing for two, almost 3 days it opening up 12 to 24 hours after each model run....

but here we are again and again..

I mentioned earlier.. that the most likely scenario is that... it keeps producing pulses of deep convection ... as a lot of systems do in divergent shear. they dont die.. they just maintain as a sheared mess.

Fwiw the HWRF does exactly this. It keeps a pulsing sheared mess chugging along for the next 4-5 days no dissipating.
5 likes   

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#577 Postby tiger_deF » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:12 pm

Is it just me or has Josephine gotten markedly more symmetrical over the last hour?
4 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#578 Postby GCANE » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
GCANE wrote:
GCANE wrote:
They are high-altitude strat-cumulus clouds.
If you look at ice/snow imagery, you can see ice/snow coming off the top of some of them.

Can also tell the anticyclone is to the SW

https://i.imgur.com/MvYvRbH.png

What is it that you have circled here?

Its the icy cirrus clouds coming off the top of the stratus-cumulus clouds.
3 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#579 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pm

tiger_deF wrote:Is it just me or has Josephine gotten markedly more symmetrical over the last hour?

It seem like outflow has improved a bit and it’s appearing more circular
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#580 Postby GCANE » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pm

A little better outflow on the SW side where the shear was hitting it.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”