Request from Staff

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Request from Staff

#1 Postby Stephanie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:13 pm

PLEASE - if anyone sees anything objectionable posted in a thread, click on that post's "report post" icon below (!).

We appreciate that some take the time to help police the rest of the crowd by calling out a certain post as being "uncalled for", etc. However, the faster the staff sees it, the faster the objectionable post will be dealt with and removed.

Thank you!
0 likes   

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Request from Staff

#2 Postby Typhoon10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:51 am

Stephanie wrote:PLEASE - if anyone sees anything objectionable posted in a thread, click on that post's "report post" icon below (!).

We appreciate that some take the time to help police the rest of the crowd by calling out a certain post as being "uncalled for", etc. However, the faster the staff sees it, the faster the objectionable post will be dealt with and removed.

Thank you!

Hi Stephanie, am conscious there is me and quite a few other "amateurs" on here and we might annoy the professionals, etc. It would be good to know what is "objectionable" so we dont overstep the mark.

Or maybe a suggestion, a separate area for amateurs and professionals?
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:48 am

I'm sure there's a set list of rules somewhere that defines what is and isn't permissable.

Aside from those set rules, I find a 7.2Mb animation objectionable, but hey, what do I know :?:
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby StormingB81 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:57 am

Typhoon10...Go to the Board index and the very first one is Rules and Announcements..Its all there
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby fci » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 am

Typhoon10 wrote:
Stephanie wrote:PLEASE - if anyone sees anything objectionable posted in a thread, click on that post's "report post" icon below (!).

Thank you!

Hi Stephanie, am conscious there is me and quite a few other "amateurs" on here and we might annoy the professionals, etc. It would be good to know what is "objectionable" so we dont overstep the mark.

Or maybe a suggestion, a separate area for amateurs and professionals?

Please don't have separate areas! The interaction between the Promets and amateurs is one of the things that makes S2K so special. Discretion needs to be used in posting and respect always given to the ProMets.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:44 am

Having separate areas for the amateurs and pro-mets would defeat one of the major pluses of this site-the great learning environment. Don't look for that to happen. There is no reason amateurs and pros can't interact, whether they agree or not on an outcome. As fci said
Discretion needs to be used in posting and respect always given to the ProMets.
I will expand that to what we ask of anyone posting on this site is respect for each other in your postings.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Aquawind » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Sorry, I missed that upgrade feature.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby southerngale » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:23 am

Also, please upload images before posting them. If a member posts a sat image or a model map, using the original link, then that image will eventually change and we'll have a disparity between the comments and the image. It's nice to be able to read a post a few hours, or even days, after it was posted and to be able to see the image that's being discussed.

Here's a few sites:

http://tinypic.com/
http://imageshack.us/
http://www.imagehosting.com/
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby 'CaneFreak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I am really glad that you are making members do this now because I find it much easier to find information that way as well. Thanks for all you do to make this site great and keep up the good work.

southerngale wrote:Also, please upload images before posting them. If a member posts a sat image or a model map, using the original link, then that image will eventually change and we'll have a disparity between the comments and the image. It's nice to be able to read a post a few hours, or even days, after it was posted and to be able to see the image that's being discussed.

Here's a few sites:

http://tinypic.com/
http://imageshack.us/
http://www.imagehosting.com/
0 likes   

StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby StarmanHDB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:15 pm

fci wrote:Discretion needs to be used in posting and respect always given to the ProMets.

And vice versa!
:wink:
0 likes   

Evenstar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Evenstar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 am

StarmanHDB wrote:
fci wrote:Discretion needs to be used in posting and respect always given to the ProMets.

And vice versa!
:wink:

Agreed. It's tough enough being clueless without being told as much! :wink:
0 likes   
I never received my Hogwarts letter, so I'm leaving the Shire and becoming a Sith Lord.

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 am

I have been a member here for a very long time now, and I have to voice my frustration, so I guess it's better here than in the model or discussion threads. There are many newbies who are CONTANSTLY take the threads off topic! The mods can say time and time again to keep on topic but they don't listen. I come here to see what the pros and the amateur forecasters with experience have to say, and I have to sift through so much, pardon the phrase, but crap that it's maddening. These tropical systems can mean trouble for some folks, I wish folks would take that into consideration.
Last edited by sunny on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby RL3AO » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am

I understand your frustrations. I've started to get pretty strict on the models thread. I'm deleting on site anything that doesn't belong there.

If there is something that really goes off topic then hit the report button. We'll get the big red exclamation mark on the screen and we'll look at it.

We're short a couple of mods and admins for various reasons and it can be hard to keep up.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#14 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am

RL3AO wrote:I understand your frustrations. I've started to get pretty strict on the models thread. I'm deleting on site anything that doesn't belong there.

If there is something that really goes off topic then hit the report button. We'll get the big red exclamation mark on the screen and we'll look at tit.

We're short a couple of mods and admins for various reasons and it can be hard to keep up.

Thank you, I know the mods do the best you can and when the board is busy it makes your job even that much more difficult.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#15 Postby abajan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm

RL3AO wrote:... We'll get the big red exclamation mark on the screen and we'll look at it ...
Just out of curiosity, could you post a screenshot of that when you get a chance? I'm an admin on another forum (dealing with HTML, JavaScript, CSS and so on) and we see different screens to our users.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#16 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 am

RL3AO wrote:We'll get the big red exclamation mark on the screen and we'll look at tit.

I'll bet you do! :cheesy: (Oh, the hazards of a misplaced 't'.)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#17 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:57 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
RL3AO wrote:We'll get the big red exclamation mark on the screen and we'll look at tit.

I'll bet you do! :cheesy: (Oh, the hazards of a misplaced 't'.)

LOL!! Sometimes that is why we get the big red exclamation mark. :oops: :oops: :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#18 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:04 am

What. I see nothing. Looks like "it" to me.

<has nothing to do with my abilities to edit posts...>
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”