Google Maps API for TC computer guidance

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Google Maps API for TC computer guidance

#1 Postby ncweatherwizard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm not sure of the relevance of this topic to this particular discussion forum, but I think that this may be a really useful tool to some folks who frequent mostly this forum only.

I'm in the middle(?) stages of development of a Google Maps API based interface for plotting model guidance. Similar to some products already available, except I will have this available in viewing form in a web browser without having to download any files to your hard drive and open them. Currently, I'm developing the product on a UW Atmos. Sci. server. Please leave feedback by following the instructions below.

1. Go to http://maps.google.com
2. In the search bar, enter http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~spowel ... estmap.kml
3. Take note of the checkboxes on the left that will help reduce clutter.
4. Please reply to this post with any suggestions and comments. I'm already aware of some errors, but comment away!

This is the 12Z Aug. 10 model run for 94L. I currently do *not* have it set to update automatically (when out of development I will). Thanks folks.

Scott

P.S. You'll have to right click the address in #2 above and copy the link, then paste in the Google search box. (I don't know how to make something starting with http... not automatically turn into a link.)
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Google Maps API for TC computer guidance

#2 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice.

Can you have the track points turned off by default, so only the colored lines show up? The pins make it rather cluttered.

Next, how do I plug a current sat pick KML into this? :)

Here's what it looks like, for those who are curious.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Frank P » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey this is neat, thanks
0 likes   

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby ColinDelia » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:46 pm

cool
0 likes   

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby ncweatherwizard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:08 pm

tolakram wrote:Nice.

Can you have the track points turned off by default, so only the colored lines show up? The pins make it rather cluttered.

Next, how do I plug a current sat pick KML into this? :)

Here's what it looks like, for those who are curious.

Thanks for posting an image so folks can see. :D

It will be easy to turn the track points off by default. In fact I've been debating whether to include a single button that would remove or add all of the track points with one click. Additionally, I may experiment with including check boxes that can activate track points for only one time period for all models (i.e. 12HR or 24HR) while also allowing the user to to select individual forecast points for different models.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:18 pm

ncweatherwizard wrote:
It will be easy to turn the track points off by default. In fact I've been debating whether to include a single button that would remove or add all of the track points with one click. Additionally, I may experiment with including check boxes that can activate track points for only one time period for all models (i.e. 12HR or 24HR) while also allowing the user to to select individual forecast points for different models.

Yes, please add these features, especially one to have a single button for the plots.

Can I also suggest a way to see a legend, or see the line colors without having to expand the boxes?

I do like it though, just needs some UI tweaking :-)
0 likes   

tronbunny
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby tronbunny » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Ooooh, this is one of my favorites now.
Thank you.
0 likes   

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:38 pm

I'd recommend building a web interface if you can for it rather than using the maps.google.com interface. Google does not have a great way to convert KMZ files to use in Google Maps and you don't get much control of the output. A good way is to have the data in an XML file and use Google Maps to load the data on your page. Then use JavaScript to manage lots of options. You can do all sorts of stuff with your own interface.
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby thetruesms » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 pm

ncweatherwizard wrote:Thanks for posting an image so folks can see. :D

yes, yes, a million times yes. Figuring out where each model is at a specific time gets very difficult once you have more than a few plotted at once, and this would instantly be the best solution I've seen.
0 likes   

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby ncweatherwizard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:24 pm

jasons wrote:
Can I also suggest a way to see a legend, or see the line colors without having to expand the boxes?

Great idea; I'll work on this.

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:I'd recommend building a web interface if you can for it rather than using the maps.google.com interface. Google does not have a great way to convert KMZ files to use in Google Maps and you don't get much control of the output. A good way is to have the data in an XML file and use Google Maps to load the data on your page. Then use JavaScript to manage lots of options. You can do all sorts of stuff with your own interface.

You hit the nail on the head. And this is giving me headaches. So far I do load a KML file using Google Maps via a JavaScript in HTML. (http://www.atmos.uw.edu/~spowell/kmls/testmap.html) I didn't initially provide a link to the html page, however, because I haven't figured out yet how to produce my own menu of checkboxes. In that, the user only gets a map with lines and placemarks but has no control over what to view. My experience with JavaScript is a little shaky, but I'm messing around and learning as I go.
0 likes   

hurricanefloyd5
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby hurricanefloyd5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:32 pm

do you have the models and the recon for Google Earth
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby artist » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:http://tropicalatlantic.com/models/
Direct link to GE for Atlantic: http://www.tropicalatlantic.com/models/ ... _Basin.kmz

http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/
Direct link to GE for Atlantic: http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/ge/Re ... _Basin.kmz

thanks Chris.
0 likes   

latitude_20
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby latitude_20 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Sounds cool, but not playing nice with Firefox...
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re:

#15 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:45 am

latitude_20 wrote:Sounds cool, but not playing nice with Firefox...

Howdy,

which part are you having issues with?

I use Firefox and I regularly use this link at work: http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/live/ It requires installation of the Google Earth plugin but after that it mostly works fine. I say mostly because if you set some options, lke always keep oriented to north, it tends to freeze up the browser for a few seconds here and there.

The KMZ links require Google Earth full program to be installed and Firefox needs to have GE set as the program to open those files.

Hope this helps. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

CreponChris
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby CreponChris » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm

http://ruc.noaa.gov/tracks
http://hfip.org/nhc-display

these two tropical guidance model viewers are useful. I think it's the first out of the two that uses Google maps API as well. It would be very cool if I could extract the data projected onto the Google maps viewer in the first link as either a shapefile to use in arcgis or a KML kmz file for Google Earth but not sure how to do that yet. Only one of the two actually has the European model and it tends to get posted you know hours after it's actually released Sol it will be there though not everybody tends to know that or active tropical cyclones the ecmwf data is actually meant to be free. it's on the bureau website FTP server actually they post them twice a day in a kind of strange format called buffer bufr that goes back to 1988. Thanks for the info.
1 likes   

Return to “2022”