ATL: Ex INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#41 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:36 pm

If this forms I think the best analog is Earl in 2010.

If we get a strong system I don't see it making it to the US--there's always a west-bias to the models that far out.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#42 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 pm

A west bias?

I've often found these CV systems to have an east bias. Models often want to recurve them and constantly shift the track left.
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Invest 92L needs to put the brakes on and slow down a good bit if it wants to amount to much, we've seen this same situation with numerous waves and even tropical cyclones over the past several seasons where they were moving too fast to close off and keep enough vorticity with them.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby hurricaneCW » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Exactly, although most of them do recurve, every once in a blue moon you do get one that doesn't. So we definitely need to watch it. Of course at this point it's way too early to say that this is going to recurve for sure or not, especially since one model showed it hitting Georgia. There will be of course tons of model changes over the next several days.[/quote]

LR pattern supports a long tracker with a stout Atlantic ridge stretching all the towards the east coast. This could be the storm of 2016, I feel a Hugo to Isabel vibe based on the upcoming pattern.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#45 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Floater is up.Looks healthy just emerging West Africa.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#46 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 pm

This may end up not doing much, but I feel between the pattern and the wave that this has the potential to be one we talk about for a while. Hopefully, it doesn't come to fruition.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 pm

It's quite possible the long-term fate of 92l might depend on how much TD #9 can deepen and bust the west Atlantic ridge. A weaker TD and the Bermuda Hiigh could be much stronger. A stronger TD like the EC shows could open up a weakness before this system can get to the US. Of more immediate focus are the Lesser Antilles and what impact, if any, we could see from this wave.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Holy Crap! That invest 92 on the Satellite looks better than TD 8 does now. lol
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby sma10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Very nice satellite presentation, indeed. But I'm wary; I've watched these waves roll off the African coast for many years and often the convection dies off very quickly. That's what I'm looking for based on the models reluctance to instantly develop this.

It might take a couple/few days, but very likely to develop.
1 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#50 Postby MetroMike » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 pm

sma10 wrote:Very nice satellite presentation, indeed. But I'm wary; I've watched these waves roll off the African coast for many years and often the convection dies off very quickly. That's what I'm looking for based on the models reluctance to instantly develop this.

It might take a couple/few days, but very likely to develop.

We are on a "poof watch" right now.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#51 Postby toad strangler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Blinhart wrote:So this one might track like an another monster of the past. Hugo.

Certainly an analog to consider IRT track as compared with current modeling. Although, Hugo became a major well E of the Leeward Islands. 92L is modeled to struggle along like so many of recent year Atlantic Basin waves ..

0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#52 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm not worried about the convection poofing. I was hoping to have an ascat pass catch it but they just went by and missed it. Hopefully in 12 hours. I really want to see the structure of the wave.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Tell ya what I wanna see. Be it a long Caribbean tracker like Hurricane Allen, or an instant recurve, or possibly nothing more than one big squall line that loses all vorticity following a day spent over water... I just WANT my MTV back (wait, wrong era) umm, meant to say - I want my reliable models back!! I want to actually see some "run to run" consistency. I want to live in a world again where the EURO forecasting a major storm was a dead lock to occur. Sure, maybe it might prove slightly stronger or weaker - but not this yo-yo inability to properly gauge large scale synoptic conditions in the 120 hr or less time frame. Certainly not some forecast of imminent development & forecast to be a major 'cane..., only to be followed by its own next run only showing a weak struggling low, then back to a stronger storm on the following run after that.

That all aside, i think 92L WILL form east of 45W and become Ian. Why?? Who knows! Perhaps some wishful reassurance that all is once again right with the world (well, at least the Atlantic anyhow). But this much I know;. If T.D. 8 "poofs", and T.D. 9 continues gasping for gentle air, so help me if 92L tracks west across the Atlantic without ever getting named - I'm cashing this hurricane season in and from here out... am officially on Fall Cold Front Watch! :lol:
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:06 pm

chaser1 wrote:Tell ya what I wanna see. Be it a long Caribbean tracker like Hurricane Allen, or an instant recurve, or possibly nothing more than one big squall line that loses all vorticity following a day spent over water... I just WANT my MTV back (wait, wrong era) umm, meant to say - I want my reliable models back!! I want to actually see some "run to run" consistency. I want to live in a world again where the EURO forecasting a major storm was a dead lock to occur. Sure, maybe it might prove slightly stronger or weaker - but not this yo-yo inability to properly gauge large scale synoptic conditions in the 120 hr or less time frame. Certainly not some forecast of imminent development & forecast to be a major 'cane..., only to be followed by its own next run only showing a weak struggling low, then back to a stronger storm on the following run after that.

That all aside, i think 92L WILL form east of 45W and become Ian. Why?? Who knows! Perhaps some wishful reassurance that all is once again right with the world (well, at least the Atlantic anyhow). But this much I know;. If T.D. 8 "poofs", and T.D. 9 continues gasping for gentle air, so help me if 92L tracks west across the Atlantic without ever getting named - I'm cashing this hurricane season in and from here out... am officially on Fall Cold Front Watch! :lol:

A little OT but I was thinking today that either the past several years have just been so unfavorable that modeling doesn't handle it well or flat out the models have gotten worse. I remember back to 2008 a storm like Gustav pretty much did not deviate from the modeled path 7 days out. Ike was shown plowing through the Gulf by the Euro nearly 10 days out. In 2012, the Euro picked up on an extreme event in Northeast 10 days out (Sandy.) 2016? I feel like I've lost all faith in the models and we're years and years behind where we used to be. Or, maybe it's due to overall negative conditions in the Atlantic?
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Just giving my opinion on this system. Just like all systems in recent years it will either stay weak if it threatens the US or go out to sea. Not backed by science more of just trends. I will leave it at that but will still keep an eye on it just in case. Lot of model watching in the days to come.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Can't wait to track this.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

terrapintransit
Category 1
Category 1

#57 Postby terrapintransit » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Wayyyy to early for any predictions on this one yet. It could go anywhere. Do I sound professional yet? :lol:
0 likes   
Aaron

WilmingtonSandbar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby WilmingtonSandbar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Since the models have been so bad this year, I don't mind throwing out my own model. It's known as the "gitchy feeling". It has been able to successfully predict 60% of the storms effecting our area since Diana in 84. Basically, if a storm is coming towards the eastern seaboard, I get the gitchy feeling. Everything about that storm will make me anxious to the extreme. I have been watching this storm for the last 4 days, and the gitchy is strong. I figure that is as good as any of the other models this season. :cold: :double: :spam:
1 likes   
Diana X2 (look it up), Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis, Charley, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene, Matthew, And Florence

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:46 pm

We probably won't know the steering around the islands until friday\saturday and even intensity is up in the air

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:01 am

terrapintransit wrote:Wayyyy to early for any predictions on this one yet. It could go anywhere. Do I sound professional yet? :lol:

based on recent model performance you sound rational...however, this one likely wont be the hot mess 9 is so the models should have a better shot..lets see
1 likes   

Return to “2016”