Moderator: S2k Moderators

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2521 Postby PTPatrick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 pm

sweetpea wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
gatorcane wrote:anybody heard from Cycloneye?

Well I've been reading through all the posts here in this thread and I haven't seen any word yet on Cycloneye. We hope and pray he is OK.

Hopefully one of our moderators will update us on his status.

I haven't been able to contact my dad or the rest of my family. There isn't much news coming out of there little town. I have found one article and it wasn't very good news. So all the family that is here in the CONUS is praying to hear something soon from PR.

I hope that I am doing this right with this link, this interview with the mayor of San Juan is heartbreaking. I have seen it 3 times and tears just come down my face. Us Puerto Ricans are stubborn and strong, we got this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNightlyNe ... 62/video/1

She makes some very good points. Human spirit is a wonderful thing and they will find a way. when Katrina wiped clean most of the built up coastal communities of Mississippi, there were places that were debris piles for months upon months, but they survived and have come back, some only years later. She's right, it may not be the same in many areas. Lord knows Mississippi is not. But in many ways it's better, and PR will be too. Folks just have to power through and look to tomorrow. There's a different mindset that loss puts you in and what you thought would be unbearable all the sudden becomes bearable when you are faced with it.
8 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2522 Postby flamingosun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

On TWC they have been talking about the massive flooding around PR. One of the river gauges is measuring nearly 80 feet, which is WAY above any reading ever for that particular river.

I know that flooding is to be expected, given the rate of rainfall and the terrain, but some of those readings are crazy high, and they shot up crazy fast, too.

I just hope and pray that those things are somehow malfunctioning. Please Lord, let them be broken.
4 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2523 Postby GCANE » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2524 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Last big power outage we did not here from him for a while. I trust he's safe, he's been through this before, but it may be a while. Prayers and positive thoughts always help. I'm hoping most in PR will get access to generated power or something to last through the months of expected power outages. Just horrible news from PR right now.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2525 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:17 pm

GCANE wrote:http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2017_15L/web/last24hrs.gif

That's the exact track over Puerto Rico, forecast by the NHC about three days ago. Uncanny.
2 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#2526 Postby Vdogg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:20 pm

GCANE wrote:Image
That was an interesting jog south in that last frame. This seems to have generally been moving WNW since hitting PR.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2527 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 pm

sweetpea wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:

Well I've been reading through all the posts here in this thread and I haven't seen any word yet on Cycloneye. We hope and pray he is OK.

Hopefully one of our moderators will update us on his status.

I haven't been able to contact my dad or the rest of my family. There isn't much news coming out of there little town (Aguirre, Salinas). I have found one article and it wasn't very good news. So all the family that is here in the CONUS is praying to hear something soon from PR.

I hope that I am doing this right with this link, this interview with the mayor of San Juan is heartbreaking. I have seen it 3 times and tears just come down my face. Us Puerto Ricans are stubborn and strong, we got this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNightlyNe ... 62/video/1

Sweetpea, Keep the faith!! I am praying for you and everyone down in that region! I strongly believe in the power of prayer and I express to you to remain positive and know everyone is praying for the best possible outcome about your family down in Puerto Rico. God bless you and again we pray you will hear from your loved ones very soon!!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2528 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 pm

SouthDadeFish wrote:Looks like another ERC. Double wind max clearly noted. Outer eyewall is quite large. Pressure field is super broad now. As a result max winds look to be barely category 2 intensity.

Yep, for sure. You can see it clearly on IR too. The outer looks pretty big but mostly complete while the inner appears pretty fragmented.

I don't have much hard data to back this up, but it does seem like land interaction helps to spur on eyewall replacement early for whatever reason. We saw it also with Irma recently after the Cuba encounter.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2529 Postby Alyono » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 pm

seems like a borderline cat 1/2 now, but with a MUCH larger wind field
1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2530 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

flamingosun wrote:On TWC they have been talking about the massive flooding around PR. One of the river gauges is measuring nearly 80 feet, which is WAY above any reading ever for that particular river.

I know that flooding is to be expected, given the rate of rainfall and the terrain, but some of those readings are crazy high, and they shot up crazy fast, too.

I just hope and pray that those things are somehow malfunctioning. Please Lord, let them be broken.

Could the gauges have been washed into the ocean?
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2531 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

abajan wrote:Hopefully, the Turks & Caicos get just the southwest, weaker side of Maria. We can listen live here: https://tunein.com/radio/Power-925-FM-s89490/

The eye passing to their northeast is indeed the most likely track, according to the latest NHC Discussion. This is where it's forecast to be at 2 PM AST on Friday, with MSW of 120 mph:

(I have a hunch the winds will be higher than that. Maybe low end Cat 4.)
1 likes   

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#2532 Postby Hurrilurker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks like it's pulling some dry air in on the south side, possibly from Hispaniola.
1 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#2533 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

For those that know PR (and the other areas affected), are there many Hams out there? Would they still have communications? Power from vehicles maybe?
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#2534 Postby SoupBone » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Has this been posted? Unfrigginreal. :cry:

https://twitter.com/AntonioParis/status/910632599260983304

0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2535 Postby flamingosun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Hurricane Andrew wrote:
flamingosun wrote:On TWC they have been talking about the massive flooding around PR. One of the river gauges is measuring nearly 80 feet, which is WAY above any reading ever for that particular river.

Is that even possible? I honestly don't know about anything about flood stage gauges. Maybe someone else here can say if that's even a possibility.
I do know one thing for sure . . . it's heartbreaking.
2 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2536 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:For those that know PR (and the other areas affected), are there many Hams out there? Would they still have communications? Power from vehicles maybe?

Pretty sure there are many Hams there (and CBers) who're thinking of doing exactly that. Speaking under correction, I think vehicle batteries, even those too weak to start vehicles, can power such radios for several weeks. Here's where solar panels really shine. We're gradually switching to them in Barbados. I've been noticing them on more and more houses and business places over the last few years.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2537 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

NHC is stating that Maria is moving on a 305 degree forward header motion, but is it just me seeing that currently it appears like Maria is moving more west-northwest since she made landfall on Puerto Rico earlier today?
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

BB79
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#2538 Postby BB79 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm

flamingosun wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:

I know that flooding is to be expected, given the rate of rainfall and the terrain, but some of those readings are crazy high, and they shot up crazy fast

Is that even possible? I honestly don't know about anything about flood stage gauges. Maybe someone else here can say if that's even a possibility.
I do know one thing for sure . . . it's heartbreaking.

Someone mentioned mudslides and I could see that being more plausible than those crazy readings actually being true. So scary
Last edited by BB79 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#2539 Postby supercane4867 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm

It would be impressive if Maria can complete the current EWRC and clear out the larger eye. HWRF forecast has one of the largest observed eye in the Atlantic if verified.

3 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2540 Postby gatorcane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm

tolakram wrote:

Last big power outage we did not here from him for a while. I trust he's safe, he's been through this before, but it may be a while. Prayers and positive thoughts always help. I'm hoping most in PR will get access to generated power or something to last through the months of expected power outages. Just horrible news from PR right now.

Ok thanks my thoughts go out to him and everybody impacted by the storm
0 likes   

Return to “2017”