ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2161 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

Aric Dunn wrote:the higher terrian will see higher winds.. but they are still no where what they were.

At around 2:10am AST there were momentary winds found by a sonde of about 160 knots (184 mph) at the 894mb level.

Considering the highest winds found in a sonde so far in this storm have been 173 kts (199.1 mph) on the way down, "they are still no where what they were" isn't accurate when it comes to winds at higher levels.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2162 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

disregarding the inner eye that is tumbling like a football.. the whole system has wobbled more wnw the last hour.. should bring the center ashore near rio blanco .. san juan is going to get some of the worst on present course.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2163 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 am

Radar velocities are increasing in the northern eyewall now too. Highest I found was 174.5mph, was hardly seeing anything over 160 an hour ago
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#2164 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:49 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:after 3 passes .. it is safe to say it is at 140 mph tops.

inner eye not giving up.. landfall cat4 in about 2 hours. looks about right..

The thing is though, there is only half an inner eyewall left now. It looks pretty substantially different than it did an hour ago, and 2 more hours could allow for further changes.

And to anyone reading my posts, please don't think I'm wishcasting a strengthening storm on PR. I am however concerned that optimism or downplaying the event can cause complacency, and believe that all variables and scenarios should be considered

I have to totally agree with this. I rather be a pessimist and be happy when it comes out way better, than an optimist and be totally devastated when it comes out way worse. With I say 3 to 5 hours before the center of the larger eye getting all the way on shore this has a good chance of getting stronger before the whole CoC is on shore and doesn't have a chance of strengthening until he gets back over shore which shouldn't take more than 6 to 8 hours before the whole CoC is off shore just NW of San Juan.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2165 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 am

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:the higher terrian will see higher winds.. but they are still no where what they were.

At around 2:10am AST there were momentary winds found by a sonde of about 160 knots (184 mph) at the 894mb level.

Considering the highest winds found in a sonde so far in this storm have been 173 kts (199.1 mph) on the way down, "they are still no where what they were" isn't accurate when it comes to winds at higher levels.

actually that is quite accurate.

local gust happen.. but wide spread 160kt at the surface and higher levels in all quads earlier is quite a bit diffefrent than now.

so yes.. again still not down playing this.. it is very dangerous and will be beyond destructive.

im just a numbers guy... a scientist.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2166 Postby aperson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 am

inner eye wall is no longer convex Image

In my opinion, whether or not Maria begins intensifying before PR landfall is going to come down to the wire.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2167 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:Radar velocities are increasing in the northern eyewall now too. Highest I found was 174.5mph, was hardly seeing anything over 160 an hour ago

watch out with that as if you notice they all of a sudden increased right as the eyewall went over land...doppler velocities can be tricky sometimes. recon will tell us on the next pass.
0 likes   

Salix88
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2168 Postby Salix88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 am

Those hurricane damage potential multipliers doesn't seem right to me. Unlike CONUS, most structures in Puerto Rico are built with concrete blocks, reinforcement steel bars and reinforced concrete. Here in Hispaniola, and probably in PR too, the great damage from storms come from floods, sudden landslides and mudslide and perhaps storm surge in river mouths and deltas. I wouldn't be too optimistic about a 25-30 mph drop in wind speed, this system will engulf the whole island. Heavy rains and flooding be the main theme and the image of damage and destruction of Maria in PR, IMO.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2169 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 am

the neweest radar image the inner eyewall little piece has merged with the outer and the rest of the inner is only very shallow..
0 likes   

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

#2170 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Chris_in_Tampa wrote:

local gust happen.. but wide spread 160kt at the surface and higher levels in all quads earlier is quite a bit diffefrent than now.

so yes.. again still not down playing this.. it is very dangerous and will be beyond destructive.

I wasn't talking about at the surface right now. You're missing some powerful winds between flight level and the surface that people at higher elevations in Puerto Rico will feel. There are not enough sondes to see what it looks like throughout the storm. We have to go with what we have.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2171 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 am

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Chris_in_Tampa wrote:At around 2:10am AST there were momentary winds found by a sonde of about 160 knots (184 mph) at the 894mb level.

I wasn't talking about at the surface right now. You're missing some powerful winds between flight level and the surface that people at higher elevations in Puerto Rico will feel. There are not enough sondes to see what it looks like throughout the storm. We have to go with what we have.

again even the dropsondes are sporadic higher winds.. so "going with what we have" is not what we had earlier..

data support 140 mph at the moment ..

inner eye is pretty much gone.. lets see what happens this last hour or two.. the eye can now start contracting without the inner there.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#2172 Postby otowntiger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:00 am

Salix88 wrote:Those hurricane damage potential multipliers doesn't seem right to me. Unlike CONUS, most structures in Puerto Rico are built with concrete blocks, reinforcement steel bars and reinforced concrete. Here in Hispaniola, and probably in PR too, the great damage from storms come from floods, sudden landslides and mudslide and perhaps storm surge in river mouths and deltas. I wouldn't be too optimistic about a 25-30 mph drop in wind speed, this system will engulf the whole island. Heavy rains and flooding be the main theme and the image of damage and destruction of Maria in PR, IMO.
. Agreed, but the wind damage will still be disastrous no doubt as well even with the supposed decrease and will be for the entire island.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2173 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 am

Luis,
May you be blessed and be protected from Maria's danger. I hope that wherever you are is sturdy and high enough to avoid flooding.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Salix88
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2174 Postby Salix88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 am

WTNT65 KNHC 200759
TCUAT5

Hurricane Maria Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL152017
400 AM AST Wed Sep 20 2017

...400 AM AST POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE...
...MARIA'S EYEWALL OVER VIEQUES...

A sustained wind of 68 mph (109 km/h) with a wind gust to 83 mph
(133 km/h) was recently reported in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.

A sustained wind of 47 mph (76 km/h) with a wind gust to 63 mph
(102 km/h) was recently reported at San Juan International Airport.

SUMMARY OF 400 AM AST...0800 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.8N 65.4W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM SSE OF VIEQUES
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH...260 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...917 MB...27.08 INCHES

$$

Forecaster Blake
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2175 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Radar velocities are increasing in the northern eyewall now too. Highest I found was 174.5mph, was hardly seeing anything over 160 an hour ago

watch out with that as if you notice they all of a sudden increased right as the eyewall went over land...doppler velocities can be tricky sometimes. recon will tell us on the next pass.

Makes sense, recon always holds the final say. It's hard to tell if the velocities are increasing because of what you said, or because of the recent rapid degradation of the inner eyewall. Maybe both, but either way very interesting, and it's clear that Maria is certainly not weakening and is at least holding steady
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2176 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 am

definitely wabbling more wnw the last 30 min or so.. disreagarding the inner eye..

putting san juan at greater risk the more wobbles westerly.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2177 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:07 am

that NW eyewall has some serious heavy rain and its thick.. Im sure its crazy white out conditions about to come ashore to josh and the other stomr chaser.. this is crunch time.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2178 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:10 am

you can see the convection on radar starting to expand and fan out.. the mountains are starting to disrupt the northwest part of the inner core.
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2179 Postby flamingosun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 am

NHC 4 am Update
WTNT65 KNHC 200759
TCUAT5

Hurricane Maria Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL152017
400 AM AST Wed Sep 20 2017

...400 AM AST POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE...
...MARIA'S EYEWALL OVER VIEQUES...

A sustained wind of 68 mph (109 km/h) with a wind gust to 83 mph
(133 km/h) was recently reported in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.

A sustained wind of 47 mph (76 km/h) with a wind gust to 63 mph
(102 km/h) was recently reported at San Juan International Airport.

SUMMARY OF 400 AM AST...0800 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.8N 65.4W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM SSE OF VIEQUES
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH...260 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...917 MB...27.08 INCHES

$$

Forecaster Blake
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2180 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 am

Vieques island is getting just level.. whatever structures are there. I know its pretty militarized.. or it used to be..
0 likes   

Return to “2017”