ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2601 Postby bob rulz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 am

Hard to argue that it's not strengthening. I wouldn't be surprised to see it make another run at cat 4 before shear and Jose's cold wake start affecting it.
0 likes   

got ants?
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2602 Postby got ants? » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am

Hurrilurker wrote:Eye symmetry appears to be increasing rapidly.

Time for someone to ask if it's annular.

Don't start! :ggreen: With other discussions on a weakened effect by Jose, and a more westerly track (speculative) the last thing we need now is a truck tire witha mind of her own :eek:
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2603 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:06 am

Cloud tops cooling now.
Eye is about the size of Puerto Rico.
Concerned about possible seismic activity.
She is running along the PR Trench / Fault Line.
The Mexico Quake did not have any aftershocks.
Many times another quake will trigger along a joining fault 48 to 72 hrs after the main shock.

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2604 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:11 am

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2605 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 am

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2606 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 am

4.5 hrs ago and an nearly closed off dark pink donut.

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2607 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 am

Back in business as expected.
Core was well intact over PR as indicated yesterday by AMSU temperature profile.

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2608 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 am

Direct feed through the Mona Passage of that supercharged CAPE air south of PR.

0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2609 Postby flamingosun » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:37 am

psyclone wrote:
millerm277 wrote:
flamingosun wrote:On TWC they have been talking about the massive flooding around PR. One of the river gauges is measuring nearly 80 feet, which is WAY above any reading ever for that particular river.

I know that flooding is to be expected, given the rate of rainfall and the terrain, but some of those readings are crazy high, and they shot up crazy fast, too.

I just hope and pray that those things are somehow malfunctioning. Please Lord, let them be broken.

Good news then, they are. It's quite likely there is record flooding on this waterway, but it certainly is not 80ft.

TWC posted the graph found here: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogr ... gage=comp4

However, that gauge is officially marked "Flood Damaged" on the USGS site and those results have been voided and have been replaced with "Flood Damaged". This can be seen in this table: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/pr/nwis/uv?c ... 2017-09-20

In fact, many of the gauges on that waterway and in PR in general are currently officially broken, as can be seen https://waterdata.usgs.gov/pr/nwis/current?index_pmcode_STATION_NM=1&index_pmcode_DATETIME=2&index_pmcode_00065=3&index_pmcode_45592=4&group_key=basin_cd&sitefile_output_format=html_table&column_name=site_no&column_name=station_nm&format=html_table&sort_key_2=site_no&html_table_group_key=basin_cd&rdb_compression=file&list_of_search_criteria=realtime_parameter_selection here.

It's a reasonably safe bet that there's probably more that are of questionable reliability at this point. It's also a reasonably safe bet that the weather.gov site with the nice graphics just polls for new results from the USGS data feed and doesn't re-request all the old data, leading to why it still shows that graph.

--------------------

That gauge is marked on the USGS site as having an operational limit of 35ft.

Even if you didn't know that, I know, and I'm sure the people working at TWC know that flood gauges aren't typically built in a way that they could record multiple times the record flood level accurately. You'd have to have this gauge on a 100ft high platform over this river!

They're either incompetent to a degree I find implausible (and didn't know where to look at the USGS data sources), or they're dishonest. Either way, putting that graph on a television at all and letting scared people think there is even a chance it could be real is appalling piece of fearmongering that deserves condemnation in my opinion. I've seen this posted multiple times on other sites besides this one as well.

Thanks for posting this. I had no doubt there were malfunctions. the readings were just unbelievable absent a possibility of a landslide dam and subsequent catastrophic failure. I'm surprised they were just shown by otherwise reputable sources without question. frankly they just didn't make sense. Nevertheless the flooding situation is no doubt terrible and still unfolding.

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU for this information!
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2610 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 am

Massive Hot-Tower Convective Burst rotating on the North Wall

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2611 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 am

About Hot Towers

A "hot tower" is a tall cumulonimbus cloud near the center of a tropical cyclone, often seen prior to intensification. The cloud tops reach at least to the top of the troposphere, the lowest layer of the atmosphere which is approximately 9 miles/14.5 km high in the tropics. These towers are called "hot" because they rise to such altitude due to the large amount of latent heat. Water vapor releases this latent heat as it condenses into liquid. Those towering thunderstorms have the potential for heavy rain. Energy released by rainfall into the center of a tropical cyclone provides the energy upon which tropical cyclones thrive.

Cloud Top Temperatures Show Strengthening

The Atmospheric Infrared Sounder or AIRS instrument aboard NASA's Aqua satellite analyzed Hurricane Maria in infrared light. Infrared light provides scientists with temperature data and that's important when trying to understand how strong storms can be. The higher the cloud tops, the colder and the stronger they are. So infrared light as that gathered by the AIRS instrument can identify the strongest sides of a tropical cyclone.

When NASA's Aqua satellite flew over Maria on Sept. 18 at 1:35 a.m. EDT (0535 UTC) AIRS detected that cloud top temperatures had cooled indicating they were higher into the atmosphere. Cloud top temperatures were as cold as minus 81.6 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 63.1 degrees Celsius). Storms with cloud top temperatures that cold have the capability to produce heavy rainfall.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... icane.html

Finding Hot Towers in Hurricanes

Link: https://youtu.be/8U5puPnqMNo
6 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2612 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 am

PandaCitrus wrote:When I thinking 160mph winds, I'm thinking of Hurricane Andrew damage. The damage in Dominica is not at this level which is great. But is it building codes or luck with lesser winds?

https://www.weather.gov/images/mfl/even ... ndrew2.gif

Let's wait until we have more than some twitter photos. Florida had some significant building code issues (or codes not being followed). In the picture you embedded you can see one house, with an intact roof, that appeared to take very little damage. That's not by accident, if the roof stays put then generally the damage is much less.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2613 Postby dukeblue219 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 am

Recon is back in the center now. Passing SE to NW. So far the extrapolated pressure is 957.3. Peak SFMR in the SE was 86kt and NW was 98kt.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2614 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 am

That's a Nabi '05 or Atsani '15 size eye.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2615 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:29 am

GCANE wrote:Cloud tops cooling now.
Eye is about the size of Puerto Rico.
Concerned about possible seismic activity.
She is running along the PR Trench / Fault Line.
The Mexico Quake did not have any aftershocks.
Many times another quake will trigger along a joining fault 48 to 72 hrs after the main shock.

Florida 6.2 due to maria..
1 likes   

PaulR
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2616 Postby PaulR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 am

A distinct eye this large is somewhat unusual, no? What does it tell us about this storm?
0 likes   
"Normal" is Chicago under a mile of ice.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2617 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 am

PaulR wrote:A distinct eye this large is somewhat unusual, no? What does it tell us about this storm?

Wilma had a yuge eye heading into FL
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#2618 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 am

Well with an eye this large, it should be easier for the HH's to find the center. 8-)
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#2619 Postby euro6208 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am

Quite devastating for Puerto Rico and the other islands. I am glad this is not going to the U.S.A or else all that recovery and devastation will be totally ignored.
2 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2620 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am

0 likes   

Return to “2017”